420 deadlift!!!!

breedthis

Awards
hello all im new to these forums and realitivly new to powerlifting as well....i have been lifting for about three years....lost 130lbs and 20% body fat...(yeah for me) but anyways... im 6'0 281lbs at about 16% body fat...started lifting heavy about 8 months ago. I have made some great progress so far and i am serioiusly considering competing. my lifts are as follows BP345lbs
deads now at 420lbs and my squat is at 400lbs. Just wondering how these number look to some of you pros??? im not looking to compete for a living or anything at first just to see how i do. any input would be great and i look forward to future discussions!! thanks drew

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
BP is alright. The other two are nothing special, especially for your weight. If you were say...150 then I'd be impressed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rugger is our resident motivational speaker.

He often motivates me to ban his ass but I lack ambition.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Rugger is our resident motivational speaker.

He often motivates me to ban his ass but I lack ambition.
So you want me to give false opinion so he can feel special inside?:31:

breedthis

Awards
not what i want...ive only been lifting heavy for around 8 months so my stats have been on a steady increase...i guess i should just rephrase the question then...how do these numbers look for someone fairly new to powerlifting??and since it was brought up what are the number like at a competative level in my weight class im 27years old btw....thanks again

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
not what i want...ive only been lifting heavy for around 8 months so my stats have been on a steady increase...i guess i should just rephrase the question then...how do these numbers look for someone fairly new to powerlifting??and since it was brought up what are the number like at a competative level in my weight class im 27years old btw....thanks again
I think your squat is decent, considering you have to move your own weight as well. Keep up the hard work and hopefully watch your numbers shoot up.

breedthis

Awards
I think your squat is decent, considering you have to move your own weight as well. Keep up the hard work and hopefully watch your numbers shoot up.
thanks bro . im still going to work on making the body weight less as i go!! for sure but thanks

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just compete man, its a ton of fun regardless how you place. I have been powerlifting for just under a year now and I am getting ready for my second competition so I know where your coming from with being curious on how you will do. Think of it this way your not going to compete against other lifters, your going to compete against yourself.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
dude i weigh 190 and will squat 520 soon so yah that puts a little perspective on it, i am 6,2 btw u should look to dubble yer squat in 5 years or more or less deppending on how much u want it

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
AG, i want vids. Not knocking you, I would just like to see a 2.5-3xbw squat from someone 6'2 - never seen that in my life. You should do something with that kind of raw strength, it's cash money!

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
dont worry about how your numbers would stack against others at a meet, like pmiller said its about competing against yourself and doing better meet after meet. I have done two meets to date and enjoyed the comradery and the experience immensely. I have another in two weeks- all I care about it is how I will do, will I achive my goals and what amazing feats of strength I will witness.

Go for it and have fun....

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
You will probably find that as soon as you lift in a meet, you will find new focus and it will really help with strength and motivation...so, don't worry about getting "strong enough" before you do. And those numbers in and of themselves aren't bad, particularly not if you can push them up and drop some weight. Keep up the good work.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dude i weigh 190 and will squat 520 soon so yah that puts a little perspective on it, i am 6,2 btw u should look to dubble yer squat in 5 years or more or less deppending on how much u want it
maybe a half squat. would love to see a video of that.:smokin:

breedthis

Awards
thanks again guys for the comments im going in the comp my gym is holding at the end of august so i think thats a fair bit of time to get my numbers up a bit more!!!...."competing against myself" i like that... thats a great way to look at it for sure....im rather excited about my fisrt comp.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
My old man was a power lifter (competitive) He squat 650, Dead 700 Bp, not sure. A 400 lb squat is nothing to sneeze at, especially if your ass to ankles. My dead currently 505, squat 365 (ass to ankles, no parallel sh1t). My bp terrible tho.

breedthis

Awards
My old man was a power lifter (competitive) He squat 650, Dead 700 Bp, not sure. A 400 lb squat is nothing to sneeze at, especially if your ass to ankles. My dead currently 505, squat 365 (ass to ankles, no parallel sh1t). My bp terrible tho.
ass to grass only way to go!!!that way in comp when i only have to go parallel im right strong!!!700BP is that all natural???

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Not sure why AG is such a big deal when he's competing. They don't require you to go AG.

Those numbers are solid because they are on your low end, while 400lb deads WERE ONCE a time on my high end, Now a days I'm good to pull 350x5.

You've got tons of ways to go....i peaked at 385x8 squats so about 415 I'd say maybe? That was at 185-190ish.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Not sure why AG is such a big deal when he's competing. They don't require you to go AG.

Those numbers are solid because they are on your low end, while 400lb deads WERE ONCE a time on my high end, Now a days I'm good to pull 350x5.

You've got tons of ways to go....i peaked at 385x8 squats so about 415 I'd say maybe? That was at 185-190ish.

For me ass to ankles just builds better. Comp isnt required, no but it will deffinately benifet you when you get there, imho.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
True full squats aren't for everyone. Below parallel, PL style, works just fine for most. Lots of people who claim they squat parallel do quarter squats, and lots of people who say they go "all the way down" mean they go just below parallel. Get someone to make a vid of you from behind at a 45 degree angle - that's the only absolute way to judge REAL depth, not perceived depth.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
True full squats aren't for everyone. Below parallel, PL style, works just fine for most. Lots of people who claim they squat parallel do quarter squats, and lots of people who say they go "all the way down" mean they go just below parallel. Get someone to make a vid of you from behind at a 45 degree angle - that's the only absolute way to judge REAL depth, not perceived depth.
I agree completly. I go down until my hip is about 3in below my knee joint. I dont bottom out, thats an olympic squat, aand, well, im not an olympian. To me where I go is ass to anks. Although, many people believe that not disengageing, and just hitting parallel makes for bigger wheels. I certainly dont do half squats. Half measures avail me nothing.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Its simple, if he plans on competing do both, best of both worlds. I found this --> to be the most practical advice though lol. "forget the bar for a second and squat down like you are going to take a dump into a hole in the ground-- that's how God meant for you to squat.":squat::lmao:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Its simple, if he plans on competing do both, best of both worlds. I found this --> to be the most practical advice though lol. "forget the bar for a second and squat down like you are going to take a dump into a hole in the ground-- that's how God meant for you to squat.":squat::lmao:
put enough weight on the bar, and you might just do that, lol.

breedthis

Awards
thanks for the advice guys , i train both ways alternate week to week, though find i lift heavier going just past parellel as opposed to ass to grass. i hae a bit of a sticking point.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
put enough weight on the bar, and you might just do that, lol.
hehe sometimes it feels that way :lmao:, I know coffee+squats= some down time between sets somewhere lol. :bruce3:

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap on closer inspection did she actually squeeze a sloppy duece out on the floor?:scared: On the first watch I thought she just looked like she did...upon closer inspection those are loafers....ala McBain.:bigeyes2:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap on closer inspection did she actually squeeze a sloppy duece out on the floor?:scared: On the first watch I thought she just looked like she did...upon closer inspection those are loafers....ala McBain.:bigeyes2:
thats horrifyying no??:scared:

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
this is what america is coming to...making everybody feel good.

bp is ok, squat and dead should be alot better than what it is for your bodyweight.

breedthis

Awards
this is what america is coming to...making everybody feel good.

bp is ok, squat and dead should be alot better than what it is for your bodyweight.
like i mentioned before have only seriously lifting for about 8-10months where i have been focusing seriously on my lifts.....just an update i put up 415 for three reps on squats today!!!!

bigthick44

Awards
for your weight its not too impressive... i dunno how you would fare in a competition but give it a shot.. i did powerlifting my senior and sophomore year and it was a lot of fun

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
AG, i want vids. Not knocking you, I would just like to see a 2.5-3xbw squat from someone 6'2 - never seen that in my life. You should do something with that kind of raw strength, it's cash money!

maybe a half squat. would love to see a video of that.:smokin:
no doubt.
i got all yall
4 weeks is mi goal for 520 and i will get it! vids to. i will be close to 200 i weigh 194 now
but look up olympic spriters they weigh 175-205 and squat 500-600 for reps
i only train for function and strength.
and i plan to go real far in the Marines, recruit of the year!

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i got all yall
4 weeks is mi goal for 520 and i will get it! vids to. i will be close to 200 i weigh 194 now
and i plan to go real far in the Marines, recruit of the year!
Good luck and looking forward to that video. Also they are olympians for a reason lol:laugh:.

NutriSci

Awards
This guy I lift with sometimes is a powerlifter. He's 19 and today he squatted 545 X 4. He also dead lifts 600+ and benches 435ish I believe. He's about 220lbs. Just to give you someone else to compare to. Good progress so far though, that's more than I can dead lift :D

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
i got all yall
I don't believe any of this B.S. From how much you say you lift, with your body type/size, to the whole sprinter B.S. I know sprinters personally, they do not reach squats doing 3x their bodyweight, its more like 2-2.25x. Some sprinters do not even touch weights. There are alot of misinformed rumours of how much sprinters have/can squat and I have yet to see a shred of evidence as to the validity of the claims. eg. Ben Johnson..tough, fast, on steroids? Yes. Did he deadlift 800 pounds and squat 600+ for reps? No, he F'n did not. :wizard:

breedthis

Awards
I don't believe any of this B.S. From how much you say you lift, with your body type/size, to the whole sprinter B.S. I know sprinters personally, they do not reach squats doing 3x their bodyweight, its more like 2-2.25x. Some sprinters do not even touch weights. There are alot of misinformed rumours of how much sprinters have/can squat and I have yet to see a shred of evidence as to the validity of the claims. eg. Ben Johnson..tough, fast, on steroids? Yes. Did he deadlift 800 pounds and squat 600+ for reps? No, he F'n did not. :wizard:
im with you on that one, my lifting coach is a sprinter here in canada.....i out everything him!!!!...except sprint of course. Thanks for the reps guys and ill keep posting as training progresses. I do realize my lifts are a little low for my body weight but remember in my OP i mentioned i was 380ish a year or so a go!!! so im still a ways from my natural genetic potential!!!

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
lol look up brian hoddle man he teaches history at tenino high school( i graduated from here) and he traind Tony Volpentest the fastest paraolympian ever and he told me tony squated for reps 500lb and in the off season he maxes at 575 and he has 1 leg from the knee down

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
keep it up man. Do not worry about your competition, do it for you! If they are good for you then that is good enough, at least in my opinion. Different people have different backgrounds, training styles, etc. Keep working at it.

breedthis

Awards
keep it up man. Do not worry about your competition, do it for you! If they are good for you then that is good enough, at least in my opinion. Different people have different backgrounds, training styles, etc. Keep working at it.
thanks bro thats what ill be doing!! Im going to train hard all summer and see in the fall how it goes!

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
haha.. I thought this might have been about getting high and working out... which I totally thought worked in college..

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
lol look up brian hoddle man he teaches history at tenino high school( i graduated from here) and he traind Tony Volpentest the fastest paraolympian ever and he told me tony squated for reps 500lb and in the off season he maxes at 575 and he has 1 leg from the knee down
I know about Tony,he was on Ripley's as the bionic man. Tony Volpentest does not have fully formed hands. His feet basically missing. His one leg is 3 inches shorter than the other. He uses 'Flex Feet' to be able to run and excercise. On the show it mentioned that they enabled him to run normally and squat 80 pounds for I seem to remember(people who have watched that episode, it was in the first season can refresh my memory) upwards of 50-100 reps.
Tony is an amazing,fast athlete (still a wr holder i think)without a doubt. Your high school teacher though is full of the worst kind of shite possible. I myself am willing to call your bluff though. I will wager you a container of your favorite supplement that YOU cannot squat with full decent reps what you say you can(provide a video). Video documentation of a 175-200 pound sprinter squatting 500-600 pounds for reps is not to be found anywhere.Its BS. Ben Johnson BTW was notorious for trying to do heavy weight for PARTIAL REPS. :smoker:

breedthis

Awards
I know about Tony,he was on Ripley's as the bionic man. Tony Volpentest does not have fully formed hands. His feet basically missing. His one leg is 3 inches shorter than the other. He uses 'Flex Feet' to be able to run and excercise. On the show it mentioned that they enabled him to run normally and squat 80 pounds for I seem to remember(people who have watched that episode, it was in the first season can refresh my memory) upwards of 50-100 reps.
Tony is an amazing,fast athlete (still a wr holder i think)without a doubt. Your high school teacher though is full of the worst kind of shite possible. I myself am willing to call your bluff though. I will wager you a container of your favorite supplement that YOU cannot squat with full decent reps what you say you can(provide a video). Video documentation of a 175-200 pound sprinter squatting 500-600 pounds for reps is not to be found anywhere.Its BS. Ben Johnson BTW was notorious for trying to do heavy weight for PARTIAL REPS. :smoker:
come on now...... my thread has been officially:rippedhand:......but i can rep 400 ass to grass for reps not tons but still.......SO BRING ON THE VIDEO!! i wanna see it too!

breedthis

Awards
6'0 281 @ 16% bf, that is impressive bro!! I bet everyone who knew you before you lost 130lbs are speechless. Sounds like you are doing great for just starting to PL, with that body you should be able to get those numbers up into the 500s in a matter of months, keep us posted.

sorry thread got hi-jacked!
thanks when i get the camera back from my buddy ill post some pics......some ppl dont even recognize me.. i just hope the skin i have tightens up a bit, not lots there but enough to bother me..but im young so i hope. and my lifts go up ablout 5-10lbs every week or so:dl:

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
sorry thread got hi-jacked!

Yar...x2..... but seriously...i still want a vid of skinny doing high 400's-500.:smashfreakB:. You are doing good though ..maybe think of posting a log on your progress to 500?It would be good motivation all the way around. .:squat:

breedthis

Awards
Yar...x2..... but seriously...i still want a vid of skinny doing high 400's-500.:smashfreakB:. You are doing good though ..maybe think of posting a log on your progress to 500?It would be good motivation all the way around. .:squat:
I should!!! chest was thursday morn
warm up 225x10
275x5
335x3
355x2 and strip sets from their down to fatigue
355 is my personal best this far
then i hit inc dumbbells95x6,95x6,85x6 and 80 to fatigue from them i usually hit some skull cruher or body weight dip to fry the tris
I also the core hard 3x a week, and i mean hard!!

breedthis

Awards
435 deadlift!!!

today was deadlifts.....435 for 3 clean reps!!!!:dl: i go to fatigue with strip sets from there. then finished with a good back workout and solid core work out!! and yes my body weight is still the same so some might not be impressed but I am effing pumped!!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
good job man, as long as you keep gaining there's nothing to be ashamed about. I think my deadlift has dropped a little bit but I hardly do them right now because I'm trying to get my squat on par with my dealift.