Internal/External rotations, ect.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
When do you do RC Exercises(those of you that do them)?

I tore my right RC a couple years ago, and not only is it weak, but the left is weak too. I think I genetically fall short in the RC area. I haven't done these in a while, and I wanna get back into it before I end up with another debilitating injury.

I've heard people say to do them before your workout to stretch and warm up the RC, but I've heard others say that fatiguing the RC pre-workout can actually deem that your weak link and cause an injury.

I don't do a complex training split, I work my entire upper body 3X a week and my lower 2X. I'm debating on doing my RC exercises pre or post upper body workout, or doing them on the days I don't work upper body.

Any suggestions base on personal experience?

SirGalahad

Awards
When do you do RC Exercises(those of you that do them)?

I tore my right RC a couple years ago, and not only is it weak, but the left is weak too. I think I genetically fall short in the RC area. I haven't done these in a while, and I wanna get back into it before I end up with another debilitating injury.

I've heard people say to do them before your workout to stretch and warm up the RC, but I've heard others say that fatiguing the RC pre-workout can actually deem that your weak link and cause an injury.

I don't do a complex training split, I work my entire upper body 3X a week and my lower 2X. I'm debating on doing my RC exercises pre or post upper body workout, or doing them on the days I don't work upper body.

Any suggestions base on personal experience?

I tore my rotator cuff and had surgery to remove bone spurs in my shoulder 2 years ago. Per my physical therapist I do all my RC exercises prior to my workout. I've had no problem since and have also increased my max bench.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You answered your own question. Work them enough preworkout to warm them up and prepare for the workout. But, not strenuous enough to fatigue them to jeopardize stability.

I seriously doubt that you have a genetic predisposition to rotator cuff injuries. It's something that you are doing or have done with improper mechanics probably for your whole life.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
You answered your own question. Work them enough preworkout to warm them up and prepare for the workout. But, not strenuous enough to fatigue them to jeopardize stability.

I seriously doubt that you have a genetic predisposition to rotator cuff injuries. It's something that you are doing or have done with improper mechanics probably for your whole life.
I suppose it's possible, but I've had shoulder problems since childhood. Add to that my Father and only brother both having the same problem...you can see where I would think that. Doesn't matter either way, that doesn't change anything.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I suppose it's possible, but I've had shoulder problems since childhood. Add to that my Father and only brother both having the same problem...you can see where I would think that. Doesn't matter either way, that doesn't change anything.
Very true.

I'm getting the impression that your biggest problem is just some irritating residual effects from the previous operation. You aren't necessarily suspecting another tear, right?

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
Very true.

I'm getting the impression that your biggest problem is just some irritating residual effects from the previous operation. You aren't necessarily suspecting another tear, right?
Well,
I CAN't do a overhead BB press. I knew this for years, but thought I finally could after a period of time, and after 2 sessions (with light weight) doing presses I tore my RC and was completely debilitated. I Didn't lift at all for over a year. Now I do dumbell presses with palms facing each other, and that doesn't bother me.
I don't do BB bench presses anymore either, I do kind of hybrid dumbell fly/presses with my palms in between facing down and facing each other. I still feel a little discomfort/burn/tightness when doing those. I stay lighter weight/high reps in attempt to avoid another injury (which doesn't really bother me because my chest is over developed anyway).
I guess my concern is that my RC muscles are extremely weak in proportion to the rest of my body. I just don't want to go up the same road. That injury was tough to take.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That last post sounds like a more serious problem to me than your initial post. When's the last time you saw a doc and what have more recent MRI's shown?

If it's injured, you can do all the cuff strengthening that you want and it'll just make it worse. Make sense?

RC are super small muscles. I've never personally seen it but I've heard of a few cases where they sort of "fray" post op.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
That last post sounds like a more serious problem to me than your initial post. When's the last time you saw a doc and what have more recent MRI's shown?

If it's injured, you can do all the cuff strengthening that you want and it'll just make it worse. Make sense?

RC are super small muscles. I've never personally seen it but I've heard of a few cases where they sort of "fray" post op.

Well...

I never had surgury in the first place. I was given the option but couldn't afford it without Med. insurance at the time, and was advised that time off was the next best thing. This was actually the 2nd time I tore it, allthough the first one I never saw a doc and never knew what it was. It took a year before I could lift again, and it's obviously not right now. I'm just trying to make do the best i can with what i have.

As far as what an MRI would show now...I have no clue.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
welll i usually use the cable at the gym to do them always do them pre workout and sometimes do them again post workout.. If i can only do them once it would be before the workout with 5 10 lbs if i do them after i use 12.5 or 15 pounds.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
brownstone is on the right track with good advice for minor RC tweaks.

Redemption, I completely understand re: the insurance issues. I'm hoping ya got it now brotha cause it just doesn't sound good to me. Then again, it's tough to estimate severity over the internet. Do whatcha can to get a doc's opinion at some point and try not to make it worse in the meantime. That's totally lame advice but I can't suggest anything more aggressive in good conscience considering the nature of your symptoms.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yeaa breh try doing internal external rotators cuff work 3 x 15, then do some towel stetches doorway stretches. See if you can get those rubber bands i know Terrell Owens makes some but you can get cheaper ones at walmart. Stretch them out infront of your body arms extended and raise them up behind ur head all the way to ur ass just focus on stretching your shoulders. Also sit on the floor put ur hands all the way behind ur body and fingers pointing backward that really stretchs the front part of the rotator cuff. I do all this at home THEN take my preworkout drive 10-15 mins to the gym and warm up with the bar x 20 135 x 5 170 x 3 195 x 2 205 x 1 then get to working sets like 5-7 sets of 230-250 range doing 1 rep.

dont wanna sound cocky but i hurt rotator cuffs so bad i couldnt shoot more then about 5 shots playing basketball last year. and i researched and did all these stretches and went from struggling repping 205 to maxing 240. This was with horrendous form elbows flared out bringing the bar down to my Nipples. Now i got powerlifting form warm up the rotator cuffs bench heavy and they never hurt!