benching 4 plates

s7mgte

Awards
i am currently benching around 350 and am 5 11 225 pounds. i have real good genetics . at one point i was benching up around close to 350 then stopped working out and went down to like 300 and now have been lifting for a few months and back up there. I was wondering how long with consistent working out hard it would take to get up to 405 (4 plates).

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on a whole lot on how you train and how you eat when you start pushing those kinds of numbers but I don't see 8-10 months too much of a stretch if all things are done well(this is minus outside supplemental help). It can be done a bit faster but your chance of injury goes up too.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I grew up through highschool thinking 300 was godly.... Now after being here for a few months, I feel 300 is nothing... long story short, I'm ****ing weak right now lmao.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
I would say it took me probably a year to move from 365 to 395. But my weight has also flucuated multiple times and as of now I am 27 lbs lighter then when I first benched 365. I am going for 405 in about 2 weeks but am not sure how its gonna go as I've lost about 5 more lbs (199) since I did 395 a few weeks ago.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Wow not sure why I got so long winded there. Short answer, I would say a year if you don't diet and do a good strength based program.

matteoja

Awards
I will probably get flamed for this, but you can add 50+ lbs. to your bench in 3-4 months if you do a radically focused bench routine. Look into things like Sheiko or workouts where you bench 4-6 times per week. That much repetition in the 80-95% range for 2-5 reps will really get you dialed in and you will make amazing gains. The first time I ever went from 365 to 405 was from a 4 month program of benching 6 x per week. Not sustainable, but a good way to break a plateau.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
I will probably get flamed for this, but you can add 50+ lbs. to your bench in 3-4 months if you do a radically focused bench routine. Look into things like Sheiko or workouts where you bench 4-6 times per week. That much repetition in the 80-95% range for 2-5 reps will really get you dialed in and you will make amazing gains. The first time I ever went from 365 to 405 was from a 4 month program of benching 6 x per week. Not sustainable, but a good way to break a plateau.
Well I haven't tried it long term yet, but my first Sheiko month gave me 10 lbs on my bench and I lost 13 lbs of weight in that time. So while I suppose its possible I am not expecting the same increase in the next month cycle. We shall see though, fingers crossed.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
How old are you? I went from about 275 to 335 a few years back in about 6-8 months. I'm a few years older now and I think it would be hard for me to make gains like that again without a little help.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Once you get their your only gonna want more anyway!

All i used to want to do is bench 135, then I did and thought 135 was weak, I wanted 225, then I got it and I kinda think thats weak now, so I wanted 275 and got that, but now it doesn't seem like much, I want 315 - see were this is going?

Either way, push your self for it, eat, sleep, and train correctly and it will come.

s7mgte

Awards
How old are you? I went from about 275 to 335 a few years back in about 6-8 months. I'm a few years older now and I think it would be hard for me to make gains like that again without a little help.
im only 21 and have been lifiting pretty hard. i do bench 2 times a week. the thing that might make it hard is that im trying to get cut too. and its hard to gain strength and muscle while trying to get shredded. everytime i go at it though i feel like im stronger. people i know have been asking me if im roiding and this and that because they think i do but i dont haha its funny.i guess its a good thing that they think it because im not and its natural gains.

s7mgte

Awards
honestly i have no idea what skeiko even is

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Its really hard to say man, gains come in weird streaks sometimes. I was stuck at a 405 max for almost a year but then I started training with some different people in September and I just hit a paused 445 a couple weeks ago. If you surround yourself with the right people and the right program 405 will come quick. Im the same height as you but my weight is 5 pounds heavier normally so Im guessing we have relatively the same body structure. If thats the case I would suggest pushing your upper back work and your tricep work to reach your goals.

s7mgte

Awards
Its really hard to say man, gains come in weird streaks sometimes. I was stuck at a 405 max for almost a year but then I started training with some different people in September and I just hit a paused 445 a couple weeks ago. If you surround yourself with the right people and the right program 405 will come quick. Im the same height as you but my weight is 5 pounds heavier normally so Im guessing we have relatively the same body structure. If thats the case I would suggest pushing your upper back work and your tricep work to reach your goals.
i dont take any supps either besides the occasional protein shake and some waxy maize before workouts.. any good suggestions?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Fishoil - it will help save your joints and reduce any inflammation.
Something with Caffeine - will give your training a little kick

szath10

Awards
Ive made my most gains benching every six days, mixing up 5x5's and definitely some rest-pause training. that got me up to 455lbs weighing 215lbs

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I grew up through highschool thinking 300 was godly.... Now after being here for a few months, I feel 300 is nothing... long story short, I'm ****ing weak right now lmao.
lol I know the feeling
back when 220 was god like... tho for me 300 is god like at the moment... but I know in a good year or two it will be nothing

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
lol I know the feeling
back when 220 was god like... tho for me 300 is god like at the moment... but I know in a good year or two it will be nothing
i remember that feeling. when i was 14 i was stoked to hit 225. and it was such a big deal to like everybody else on freshman football lol. then when i made varsity sophmore year and the seniors were ya know repping 225 for like 15 it was depressing. lol but i did set the school record for reps on the 225 test with 20 as a senior. 4 years later it is still yet to be broken lol. the best feeling was hitting 405 as a senior. toughest was going from 405 to 430...took me about a year.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
**** my goal is still 315... id be way over that thought probably if i would just stick to my damn workouts and quit losing motivation!

Spankyswrekd

Awards
I just got 375 locked out for one and then almost for 2 but I needed a bit of help. I dont think its would be considered a 1RM though because I did 235x10 and 315x10 first.

I was still wicked happy, its a new personal record for me.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where would it stop??!!

When I got to benching 1,00000lbs I figured I'd just quite the game, as I was too scary to eat out in public:burnout: