So my gym is having a local Bench Press comp

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

So my gym is having a local Bench Press comp

3 months after I decided to start running daily and working on my cardio and losing fat... of course I lost about 15% of my top lifts at this point. I have a few weeks to prep for it if I wanted to try but would end up reversing the weight loss and cardio i've been working so hard on

I think I could place 3 months ago but not so much right now... **** my luck!

2. purebred

i would sign up and give it my best just for fun if i were you! might meet some cool cats there too. who knows? why don't you? record it too if you can! we'll be rootin' for ya bro
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.46%

is it by weight class??
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I think so, yeah.

5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.5%

Is there a cash prize or anything for placing or winning?

If not, I wouldn't mess with it. Not worth messing up your progress and risking injury if you get nothing! RISK VS. REWARD
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish80 View Post
    Is there a cash prize or anything for placing or winning?

If not, I wouldn't mess with it. Not worth messing up your progress and risking injury if you get nothing! RISK VS. REWARD
    That's one freaky avi.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.5%

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    That's one freaky avi.
    Makes you think twice before entering the ocean doesn't it?

Check the stats for this one in the background of the pic. But what do I care I'm just a surfer.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I NOTICED, 508lbs!!! Damn!! I'd hate to be in the water with a 20lbs shark, let alone 508lbs. Can you bench 508 J.Hawk?
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.5%

I NOTICED, 508lbs!!! Damn!! I'd hate to be in the water with a 20lbs shark, let alone 508lbs. Can you bench 508 J.Hawk?
    Check that again. The Shark weighs 5085lbs and is 20ft 8 inches in length. J.Hawk if you can bench that, you could come in at 1/10 of your max in the BP comp and win!
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

uhhhhhh yea.... that cant be 508lbs dude lol.

that would be a sight to see if you were swimmin in the water and saw that fukker!!! id sh1t myself.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%

lmao! Nah, last Oct/Nov I was right at 420. Right now i'm probably only sitting at 380 but it's a small gym and not too many heavy lifters so it would possibly be enough to place until I found out they're using some kind of formula that divides your bench with your weight. I'm not gonna bother with it.

I told them that when I run I don't get a handicap for weighing 70-90 pounds more than your average runner why the **** should they get a handicap for weighing less?
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

ahh yeah... it is probably your lift divided by your body weight. I hate when it is done like that. I would do it though just to have fun.
    SFW and GFH
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%

Last day for sign up is the 27th... I may still do it but i'm still upset at their method.

Worked the numbers with a 150 pound and 200 pound guy lifting 75 pounds over their body weight. The smaller guy wins by four points I believe. Just irritating...
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

did you used to do these sort of comps before? I say if your schedule allows it and its giving you an itch then sign up for fun or sport
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%

Nah, never really dabbled in that stuff. It's always been a personal goal sort of thing.
  16. purebred

i say we have a poll.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.98%

Jay, I just signed up for my first powerlifting competition today. I know I can't win a medal or even come close to placing but I think it will be a good experience to have. Who cares who wins or how they score it. Just as long as you go out and have fun.
    SFW and GFH
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Jay, I just signed up for my first powerlifting competition today. I know I can't win a medal or even come close to placing but I think it will be a good experience to have. Who cares who wins or how they score it. Just as long as you go out and have fun.
    Inarius, you never know... in my first meet I won first place in my age/weight bracket. It helped that I was the only one in that category....
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.98%

Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    Inarius, you never know... in my first meet I won first place in my age/weight bracket. It helped that I was the only one in that category....
    haha maybe I will but I am pretty sure that equipped and raw lifters and lifting in the same bracket at this meet. I am doing it raw. If we compete in different categories then I'll probably win because I am one of 2 or 3 raw lifters competing.
    SFW and GFH
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.8%

haha maybe I will but I am pretty sure that equipped and raw lifters and lifting in the same bracket at this meet. I am doing it raw. If we compete in different categories then I'll probably win because I am one of 2 or 3 raw lifters competing.
    Same situation as mine, I was one of a handful of raw lifters. if its sanctioned by a federation they'll have all the brackets and its very hard to fill all of them, so who knows? Good luck btw, hope you hit your numbers.
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%

Hey bro, congrats. It's courageous to do extraordinary things like that. I've got friends who joined flag football leagues or gym basketball tournaments, there's not a lot of glory in that per se, but they make new friends and create new experiences. It adds some spice to the mundane. Good for you, bro.
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.98%

Hey bro, congrats. It's courageous to do extraordinary things like that. I've got friends who joined flag football leagues or gym basketball tournaments, there's not a lot of glory in that per se, but they make new friends and create new experiences. It adds some spice to the mundane. Good for you, bro.
    Thanks guys, Ill let you know how it goes.
    SFW and GFH
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    3 months after I decided to start running daily and working on my cardio and losing fat... of course I lost about 15% of my top lifts at this point. I have a few weeks to prep for it if I wanted to try but would end up reversing the weight loss and cardio i've been working so hard on

I think I could place 3 months ago but not so much right now... **** my luck!
    I noticed the name and wondered if it was in the Jayhawk "area"? lol Not that I would compete, as I fall in the weak category

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM
  2. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
  3. MAX BENCH PRESS
    By Wolfe08 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4