lifting belt necessary for dead lifts?

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
Ok i just recently started getting serious about putting deadlifts into my lifting schedule for the last few weeks and trying some heavier weight with them. im 170 and my PR for dL is 340 (i know pretty weak). I was wondering if lifting belts are really necessary when dead lifting? i mean, i know they help with form and posture, but honestly i have never used one and i am not looking to become a powerlifter, i just want the benefits from deadlifting. if i continue to not use one, will it ruin my form/posture or threaten injury when i move to somewhat higher weight? or is it safe to still dL without one?

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Deadlifting without a belt is a good way to strengthen your midsection. Listen to your body and don't overdo it.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Personally I do not go above 95% of my 1 RM without a belt.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
340.. weak? oh comon what about the noobs like me who are on 270 lbs lol... tho im climbing fast i hope to hit 300 within a month
no belt here and im the type who wants to go as far as i can without one...
theres 2 arguments to this - some say you need one - others say the exact opposite - ie what one guy said above - that with a belt you dont develop as many of the muscles in ur midsection as you would without one... so i guess their advice makes sense... probably dont go 1 rep max etc without one... i go 5x5s so i think im fine...

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Safety first. I always use a belt on 90% of my 1RM or more.

EDIT:

On a side note try not to use straps either

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreenMachineX Training Forum 60
jgntyce General Chat 6
General Chat 2
Training Forum 24
Johnston Training Forum 5