powerlifter looking to lose fat

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.33%

powerlifter looking to lose fat

Not looking to cut as much as i am looking to lose fat.

Since I started power lifting, about 5 months ago, I've gone through the Anabolic Diet for approx. 2 months, with good results, but too hard to keep up with since school started, and have been pretty much eating enough since.

The fat is on my lower stomach, and sides. Large legs from squatting 3x a week. Large upper body, no fat in the face, arms, legs, calves, shoulders. Just looking to get rid of the fat on my stomach and tighten my back.

A normal day for me would like: (in no specific order)
    -5 egg whites with 2 whole eggs
    -.5 cup of oats with 1 scoop of protein and 1tbs of PB
    -2-3 chicken breasts grilled with 1/2 cup of basmati (long-grain rice)
    -tuna with some rice
    -protein shake
    -casein shake
    -maybe more grilled chicken or some steak
    -whole wheat bread, 2-3 slices throughout the day

I've been gaining fat and muscle. strength is always increasing.
    Injured my knee so I took off of squatiing 3x a week. Now doing Smolov Bench for 3 weeks. I understand the intensity isn't as high as Bill Starr's 5x5 as I was doing so I'm not burning as many calories as I was when I would squat 3x a week (sound like a broken record, sorry)

Should i add HITT once to twice a week?

I calculated approx what i eat on a regular day
    Body weight is 205 at 5'11''
    Cals-1,066
    Fat-14.9g
    Carbs-74.1g
    Protein-158.6

this is what i'll eat throughout the day for tomorrow calculated on fitday.com

not looking for abs or a bodybuilders body, but I wanna lose fat and slim down a bit.
    please help a brotha out.

thank you

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.89%

That calorie count can't be correct.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Same thing I was thinking!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.75%

hey man im not really into powerlifting but i figured id comment anyway

ive started doing the HIIT with my strength training for the past month or so and have done a great job cutting off fat. i noticed u and i eat about the same (with diff. size portions obviosuly cause im only 168 lbs) and that diet has worked really well for me for getting the mid-section fat off. as far as HIIT goes, ive only been doing it once every week and a half or so and that with the diet has really made a difference
    heres my HIIT circuit
    7x 2.5 minutes at a 5:30 mile pace with 2 minute breaks in between each "set" its not easy but it will make you feel awesome for like 18 hours afterwards and will really get that fat off without eating away muscle. im not sure how you should incorporate this w/ powerlifting but i know if you are trying to lose fat straight up it will help
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Start doing some GPP!

There are a few different strategies a Plifter can use to lose some fat and up there total, diet being the first and most obvious answer but some other things that can be really effective are:

Sled Dragging
    Sled dragging will really crank your metabolism up and is an awesome form of active recovery. All you need is an old tire, and I hook, some rope, and some weight. Just attach the I hook into the tire and the attach the rope to the I hook, next you can put some 45lb plates in the bottom of the tire for additional resistance (may have to put a board in the tire if it is to big to put the weight on), Finally tie the rope to your belt and start pulling. Just pull as long as you can a few times a week and try to increase distance or weight each time.
    Sledge Hammer
    Get a heavy sledge hammer and an old tire and beat the hell out of it. Time yourself and try to increase intervals each time.
    KettleBell Swings
    You can do these is the same fashion as the other two where you make it an extra workout, or you can do them inbetween your sets of accessory lifts to keep your heart rate up
    Extra Workouts
    do a couple extra workouts each week where you focus on one accessory movement and superset it with an ab movement. If you have some bands, you can do some moves like Band goodmornings and then standing abs. Just be creative and don't take more than 30 minutes to complete the workout. Right now I am doing either a lat movement with abs or a shrug with abs for my extra workouts.
    Other
    Pretty much any strongman type training can be used a couple times a week to get your blood flowing. I like farmers walks a lot, and also sandbag training. Just be creative and have some fun while busting your @ss for like 15-20 minutes.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Super Penguin View Post
    HIIT circuit
    7x 2.5 minutes at a 5:30 mile pace with 2 minute breaks in between each "set" its not easy but it will make you feel awesome for like 18 hours afterwards and will really get that fat off without eating away muscle.
    Thank you for the insight but I'm not really understanding your circuit too well.
    I have done HIIT so i know what it consists of.
    Please elaborate.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.94%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Three small things I notice, which I just skimmed the diet are that you can replace the PB with walnuts/flax seed, cancel out that bread/rice for some beans/corn/sweet potato, cancel out some of that chicken for some salmon and other fatty fish.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.75%

Quote Originally Posted by DALLASxBROWN View Post
    Thank you for the insight but I'm not really understanding your circuit too well.
    I have done HIIT so i know what it consists of.
    Please elaborate.

sorry yeah i guess i was pretty vague. ill sprint for 2.5 minutes at 5:30 mile pace (which is like level 11.5 or something on treadmills) take a 2min break, then sprint again - doing it 7 times. it takes only a half hour and itll kick ur ass. i dunno if ur big on running or not so u might have to do whatever level will push you the best. but basically i just try to do intense cardio for more than 2 minutes cause i read somewhere thats when ur body goes into an anaerobic state which jacks ur metabolism. then rest for about as long as ur sets. this is probably nothing new to u though if u already have done HIIT - these r just my workouts
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.49%

pmiller's advice is dead on. plus cut out that wheat bread....

Similar Forum Threads

1. You Know You're a Powerlifter When......
    By The Neck in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
  2. Top ten signs im becoming a powerlifter
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
  3. powerlifter looking to lose fat
    By DALLASxBROWN in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM