soreness from deadlifts.....

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
i just recently really started getting serious about incorporating deadlifts into my workouts and i have been doing them for a few months, but i havent really pushed myself in terms of weight in order to make sure i get the form down. well last workout i wanted to see what my 1RM would be for deadlifts so i did a workout of about 8 sets where i got to my max of 340 (is that good for a 168lbs kid?) next day i was sore all over.I was expecting the lower back and hamstrings, but my upper back and rear delts were also really sore. is this soreness the result of poor form or are these muscles just used in the deadlift movement?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The deadlift involves a shitton of muscles, but if you are sore in your upper back, it is most likely due to the fact that your lower back can't handle the weight. So what happens is, other muscles try to take over for what your lower back/hams can't do.

Your form could be off a little as well.

Muscles involved

* Torso
--Abdomen
--- Rectus abdominis (under aponeurosis)
--Obliques
--- Abdominal external oblique muscle
* Back
--Iliocostalis
--Intertransversarii laterales lumborum
--Latissimus dorsi
--Levator scapulae
--Longissimus
--Quadratus lumborum
--Rhomboideus major
--Serratus posterior superior
--Serratus posterior inferior
--Splenius cervicis
--Teres Major
--Trapezius muscle
* Legs
--Quadriceps
Rectus femoris
Vastus lateralis
Vastus intermedius
Vastus medialis
--Hamstrings
Biceps femoris muscle, long head
Biceps femoris muscle, short head
Semitendinosus
Semimembranosus
* Hips
--Gluteal muscles
Gluteus maximus
Gluteus minimus
--Piriformis
--Superior gemellus
* Forearms
--Flexor digitorum profundus

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
thanks for the advice. i was wondering if i was maybe bowing during the lift which would cause the soreness in the upper back. but ill continue to work on my form to get the weight up

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I think the upper back soreness is from the gripping position. Are you doing a wider than normal grip? That is what I use to hit the upper back portion from the rack station.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the advice. i was wondering if i was maybe bowing during the lift which would cause the soreness in the upper back. but ill continue to work on my form to get the weight up
Try taking some really light weight, maybe 95lbs, and standing where you can see yourself in a mirror. This will help you get a visual feel for how your body is to be positioned. Also, keep your shoulders back.

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
I think the upper back soreness is from the gripping position. Are you doing a wider than normal grip? That is what I use to hit the upper back portion from the rack station.

nah no wider than a normal grip would be (few inches from my sides maybe) i think i just have a weak lower back - i usually dont hit it too hard. but thanks for the comments guys

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
deadlifts will make your entire back explode much, much more than rows or anything else. its alright if your entire back is sore because its hitting all of your muscles

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I always thought that traps were the silent victim from deadlifting.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
do the first rep off the rack to remove some strain from waist and lowerback. also use a weight where you don't have to go all the way to the floor to get a better stretch in the lat area. i notice less soreness in my lower back from doing them this way which is good when you go to do squats the next day!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I always thought that traps were the silent victim from deadlifting.
my traps get pretty sore after deads :D upper back and lower back, dont forget legs :D

teribleturtle

Awards
i just recently really started getting serious about incorporating deadlifts into my workouts and i have been doing them for a few months, but i havent really pushed myself in terms of weight in order to make sure i get the form down. well last workout i wanted to see what my 1RM would be for deadlifts so i did a workout of about 8 sets where i got to my max of 340 (is that good for a 168lbs kid?) next day i was sore all over.I was expecting the lower back and hamstrings, but my upper back and rear delts were also really sore. is this soreness the result of poor form or are these muscles just used in the deadlift movement?

its normal man, happens to me everytime I do deadlifts and with much less weight than that. It just makes sense that those muscles also support a lot of weight especially during the "lift off" phase of the deadlift

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
do the first rep off the rack to remove some strain from waist and lowerback. also use a weight where you don't have to go all the way to the floor to get a better stretch in the lat area. i notice less soreness in my lower back from doing them this way which is good when you go to do squats the next day!
Don't go all the way to the floor?!?!?!

You mean lower the weight until its almost to the floor, then switch directions?

Everything I have read says this is a GREAT way to injur your back. You are supposed to let the entire weight rest on the floor between every rep. Just a quick pause to ensure you are releasing tension, and there is no bouncing.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
ive never experienced any soreness beyond my lower back

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I had my upper back sore only once from deadlifts and it was because I maxxed using a wide grip. I thought it was pretty cool because I never had my entire back that sore except from rock climbing.

How often do you deadlift? Do you do Goodmornings too?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
well i have to say yesterday i did deads heavy and i think i may have injured my back. Im used to soreness but now i can barely move. ive been kickin back muscle relaxers and some beers (great mix.....haha) and sitting on the heating pad. Anybody got some helpful tips to get her healed up?

RyanOFelt

Awards
Your entire back should be sore. Your traps, rear delts, and the rest of your upper back is responsible for pulling your shoulders back during the deadlift.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Don't go all the way to the floor?!?!?!

You mean lower the weight until its almost to the floor, then switch directions?

Everything I have read says this is a GREAT way to injur your back. You are supposed to let the entire weight rest on the floor between every rep. Just a quick pause to ensure you are releasing tension, and there is no bouncing.
and i see all of about 3 people that do that.

when you hit the floor you get a split second rest period that many people start altering their form...ie rounding their back. you see this alot especially when people start fatiguing.

you are not going hurt yourself unless you are using heavy weight (why i said pick a weight you can handle better) plus you will keep constent tention on the muscles. jerking the weight off the floor at the lowest position is probably the most dangerous part.

p.s sometimes you should quit reading and try new things!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
i can say for me that I have tried that with lighter weights, but it does not translate well with heavier weight +315 or above...

If you have the correct form, and the correct amount of weight, you can set and go with no problem.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really, you're good. If you are really hitting it you should be sore all over. if you have your back/spine in place when you lift and pull through the lift like you should then you sound like you are where u should be with the soreness. I say good job, keep it up bro!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i can say for me that I have tried that with lighter weights, but it does not translate well with heavier weight +315 or above...

If you have the correct form, and the correct amount of weight, you can set and go with no problem.
me too...i guess i should of mentioned i do both but i am very used to dead lifts. i use good slow and controled form until i go 315+ and i speed up the reps a bit. form is also very important as i do not wear a belt.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Do you do sumo or regular style stance? Try video taping your form and putting it up on here. I'm somewhat of an expert on deads and they're by favorite/bet exercise. BUt if you push yourself you will be sore but more in the mid and lower trapezious around your spine than lats. I've never had lat soreness from deads, did you do other exercises or ones that you've never done before?

Do you use an overhand or mixed grip? And yes 340's pretty good, how old are you?

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
Do you do sumo or regular style stance? Try video taping your form and putting it up on here. I'm somewhat of an expert on deads and they're by favorite/bet exercise. BUt if you push yourself you will be sore but more in the mid and lower trapezious around your spine than lats. I've never had lat soreness from deads, did you do other exercises or ones that you've never done before?

Do you use an overhand or mixed grip? And yes 340's pretty good, how old are you?
Well I did deads again this week and your posts all helped a lot. I didnt do them right off the floor but from a slightly raised rack. (which kept me from rounding my back a lot like i think i did the first time) this time i didnt push myself as hard, only doing 1 rep sets with 315 instead of 340 (which i probably dont deserve due to poor form). i dL regular grip, but i did try some wide grip (sumo?) at the end just to try it (liked it a lot too) this time its mostly my lower back thats sore, but the traps and around my spine are sore as well. lats not so much. feels good. i can see why you guys like them so much, definitely going to do them once a week to get strength up. im 20, 170 (and not damn going anywhere) and i honestly lift more for aesthetics than strength, but i want size, and i know going for strength is the best way to get it. by the way, i was able to set up my dL so that a resistance cable was used during the movement, and it was honestly the best feeling reps ive ever had. i suggest trying it next time

Super Penguin

Super Penguin

Awards
and no ive never done good mornings...they scare the crap out of me

(falling on my face)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
I do rack deads to help with lockout. Also hyperextensions are good too.