Grip aid (chalk is a no-go)

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Grip aid (chalk is a no-go)

I recently signed up with the local gym as it's now too cold to train in my garage, but they do not allow chalk. I had a demoralizing experience having to bring in the wrist straps on deadlifts today - don't want to have that happen again. I was 30lbs off my max triple as well, which really tells me how important that chalk really is.

Does anyone have experience with any of the other grip aids? I've seen a few brands that put out a spray that claims to help with grip?

I'd of course go with chalk but the gym does not allow it. Unnerving, but understandable. Any and all suggestions (aside from finding a new gym!) welcome! Thanks.

2. AsylumLifter

Chalk does help, but if you have a strong grip it should not be that hard to hold a weight for a triple. I would definitely work on grip strength.

I know that is not exactly what you wanted to hear so try Gorilla Grip Rags. I get mine from americanwave.com. I have only used them for tire flips, but im sure they would work for DL's. Personally, I just use straps if I am having grip issues. For about 2 months i could not over/under grip because of a forearm injury and its hard to double overhand 600lbs so I just used straps. Over the 2 month period i didnt notice any really loss of grip strength.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Liquid chalk. That's the way to go.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.92%

pine tar
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.5%

where do you purchase liquid chalk, aside from online? anywhere?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.6%

Why not straps when you get to higher intensity?? No one ever said " Wow, look at that guy's grip" as you walk down the street...but they will say" WOw, look at that guy's back" when you do. Yea, I am a big fan of going no straps, until it is time to use straps. Get over it, it isnt an ego blow, if I can deadlift 535x3 with straps, and the guy after me uses no straps and does 350, you think I want to trade progress with him...NO WAY.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The only reason why I deadlift is so that I can pick up heavy objects outside of the gym. Functionality for me is key. If anything, for me, it is the ego blow to use straps. Your as strong as your weakest link, and if you *need* straps to pick up an object over 400lbs, then your literally not strong enough to do it. I havn't had too much of an issue with grip thus far, in terms of the weight I'm pulling, but it becomes a major issue deeper into the workout once the sweat gets on the bar. Very frustrating stuff.

I do appreciate the input though everyone. Yeah Rugger, pine tar, lol.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.63%

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    The only reason why I deadlift is so that I can pick up heavy objects outside of the gym. Functionality for me is key. If anything, for me, it is the ego blow to use straps. Your as strong as your weakest link, and if you *need* straps to pick up an object over 400lbs, then your literally not strong enough to do it. I havn't had too much of an issue with grip thus far, in terms of the weight I'm pulling, but it becomes a major issue deeper into the workout once the sweat gets on the bar. Very frustrating stuff.

I ran out of chalk a while back and used paper towels wrapped around the bar and made a point of rubbing the sweat off of my hands before DL'ing.

I pulled a 455 conventional dead with an over/under using this approach two months ago,which was a PR for me.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

You could use 'school' chalk sticks. It is no mess with the same positive benefits.
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  10. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.63%

Quote Originally Posted by borobulker View Post
    You could use 'school' chalk sticks. It is no mess with the same positive benefits.
    Where could we buy these?

Sorry,I realize this is a stupid ass question but I'd like to know.

I bought some straps a couple days ago and they were just a PITA to use.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%

Any office supply store should have chalk sticks, but honestly you could smuggle in a little grip chalk real easy if you wanted to. Just take a normal brick of chalk, rip a little chuck off of it and carry it in an altoids tin. When your ready to lift just use the chalk to draw a thin layer on your hands, grip and rip. As long as you dont make a mess and clean up after yourself I imagine most gym employee's will look over the little chalk rock you smuggle in.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.65%

What is the world coming to when they dont allow chalk in a gym....WTF?????? FIND A NEW GYM MAN

Guess I should feel fortunate to have an old school hard core style of gym with 24/7 access....
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.1%

my gym doesn't allow it either. It sucks, I used the liquid chalk from bb.com. It's ok, but does not give the same feel as chalk.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Lots of good info here.

I actually did bite the bullet and move my weights into my cellar. Undergound liftin', figuratively and literally. Real good replies here though - very interesting stuff about the school chalk. Just the right size.

I felt bad as it was a friends gym. He gave me a great price for three months, and I'd be a **** to take advantage of his offer and *break* his rules. Minor yes, but it's the thought that counts... aww corny isn't it
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.87%

I just use gloves instead of Chalk.. humiliating? sure.. but im not there to impress anyone but myself. I just make sure to only use them on Heavy weights and not like curls or something.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.41%

Why isn't chalk allowed in most gyms anyway? Because it's messy?

I work out in my university gym and they are really relaxed on things like chalk and O-lifts. As long as you demonstrate total control and you don't look like your going to topple over at any moment they leave you alone.

I went home for T-day and worked out in the gym there and someone had liquid chalk. The trainer who worked there said you can't buy it except for online, I don't know anything about it but he said it worked good.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    Why isn't chalk allowed in most gyms anyway? Because it's messy?

I work out in my university gym and they are really relaxed on things like chalk and O-lifts. As long as you demonstrate total control and you don't look like your going to topple over at any moment they leave you alone.

I went home for T-day and worked out in the gym there and someone had liquid chalk. The trainer who worked there said you can't buy it except for online, I don't know anything about it but he said it worked good.

Yes, because chalk is "messy." It sounds rediculous, but many local gyms strive for a "family orientated" environment. While the justification is rediculous to us, it is understandable. I'll always give the thumbs up for more new people coming to train at the gym. This is at a local Golds gym btw, so they try to keep it user friendly for everyone. A little chalk as suggested by others, used discretely, is perfect however. Won't be trying it out for myself, but it fits the situation (much better than complaining to management at least).
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.41%

Yes, because chalk is "messy." It sounds rediculous, but many local gyms strive for a "family orientated" environment. While the justification is rediculous to us, it is understandable. I'll always give the thumbs up for more new people coming to train at the gym. This is at a local Golds gym btw, so they try to keep it user friendly for everyone. A little chalk as suggested by others, used discretely, is perfect however. Won't be trying it out for myself, but it fits the situation (much better than complaining to management at least).
    Wow, that's dumb. They could easily dedicate 1 bar for chalk users and make a stipulation that you have to clean the floor if you make a mess. Too bad that won't happen and even if it did I'm sure someone would mess it up for everyone else.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  266 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.5%

have the same problem with my gym...I think Im gonna try the smuggling trace amounts approach from now on... and only on one or two heavy sets... went heavy once without chalk and ripped an entire callous off... not fun. hey, if they want blood on their bar rather than chalk it's their fault not mine.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

i wear gloves with wrist straps, I wear gloves tho because my hands had blisters all over them. It almost got to the point where I couldnt lift anymore because my hands were in such pain.
  21. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

What about those pieces of rubber they make for opening up pickle jars?

Although I haven't seen him on here for quite a while, there was a member (supersoldier), who used to wrap handtowels around the knurl of the bar for additional grip.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.21%

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=223&pid=1008

Ive used this before with pretty good results.
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by biggfly View Post
    Why not straps when you get to higher intensity?? No one ever said " Wow, look at that guy's grip" as you walk down the street...but they will say" WOw, look at that guy's back" when you do. Yea, I am a big fan of going no straps, until it is time to use straps. Get over it, it isnt an ego blow, if I can deadlift 535x3 with straps, and the guy after me uses no straps and does 350, you think I want to trade progress with him...NO WAY.
    agreed. and learn how to use them. youtube has instruction video how to use them.

Dorian Yates uses straps on a lot of his back exercises if you watch videos of him training. even pulldown stuff
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

Im in one of these gyms currently. You can get away with some stuff just be cool about it. suave..learn how to do that and get away with it,when needed.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  25. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.33%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    What about those pieces of rubber they make for opening up pickle jars?

Although I haven't seen him on here for quite a while, there was a member (supersoldier), who used to wrap handtowels around the knurl of the bar for additional grip.
    What's up bud? Paper towels FTW. :dl: I haven't juiced in a while and I can still pull 455 for 6 or 500 for 1. No belt, and paper towels to help my grip of course
  26. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.07%

Who let this clown back on AM? What's happening SS?
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.95%

I just use straps when going heavy. today when getting real high on over under this is very possible and I don't even want to risk that. I don't compete in power lifting anyways so I'm okay with straps I use Deads for back. YouTube - Ano, Chains deadlift, 376kg / 436kg and biceps went brogen
  28. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.33%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Who let this clown back on AM? What's happening SS?
    Chillin man. Just livin life.
  29. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.81%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Honestly don't let your ego get in the way. Although that is difficult. Hell, for heavier rack pulls I invested in the wraps with the metal hooks. I felt my grip giving out long before my back did.

30. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.33%

I've found that a lot of gyms frown upon heavy deads. I've had some form of gym staff literally run over to me and say something quite a few times. Even at a place that had DBs up to 150. ***s...:bruce3:

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chalk
    By hli1022 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 01:06 AM
  2. My close grip bench & regular grip problem
    By fruitpunch24 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM
  3. Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?
    By dannyboy9 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
  4. Xtreme Formulations Relentless and Liquid Chalk
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
  5. Where can I get lifting chalk?
    By Aeternitatis in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:52 PM