Squatting/Dead lift/ Weight lifting shoes

  1. Squatting/Dead lift/ Weight lifting shoes


    I am looking to get a little bit of feed back on what shoes everyone wears to do squats.

    I am thinking about investing in a pair of Do Wins, chuck tailors, or even wrestling shoes, and I am trying to figure out what everyone uses.

    I have read numerous places that track shoes are not good to squat in, and I want to see what the consensus is for an affordable and proper squat shoe.

    Thanks,

    P

    Also- A friend of mine has severe shin pain when he squats and dead lifts, could it be the shoes he wears that are killing his shins? He has high arches—any suggestions to stop the pain, other than stop lifting?


  2. The idea behind lifting shoes -as I understand it- is that you do not want a thick sole, you want more or less a cushionless sole. The idea is when you go down into the hole, you get a stretch from your tendons that helps to propel you back out. A cushion on the bottom absorbs some of that energy.

    I use Nike lifting shoes myself. I've had them for a veryyyyy long time and they've held up well.

  3. I really like Rogue Do-Wins.

    http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_dowins.php

    Your friend should def invest in shoes that have a good arch support or good orthotics.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
    •   
       


  4. Chuck T's are my shoe of choice. I had mine altered to put a 3/4 inch solid rubber heal on them for additional support since I have messed up ankles. The type of shoe you get is really dependent on your form, if you are a wide squatter than the flatter the better so a wrestling shoe or chuck t is going to be good. However if you are a narrow or high bar squatter you may like an olympic shoe such as the do-wins. If you want to see what would suit you best, just go barefoot for a set and then barefoot with your heals elevated on ten pound plates, this will give you an idea of the amount of heal height you need.
    When deadlifting though I would highly recommend using flat shoes or going barefoot. A heel elevation on this move will likely throw your center of gravity off and cause you not pull back enough. My training partner actually has a pair of Chucks for pulling that are built up with an elevated toe, pretty much the opposite of what I have for squatting.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

  5. Basketball shoes. Its what I have used to lift weights/squat for over 9 years now, they provide optimal cushion and support for any exercise, especially squats.

  6. adidas superstars.

    I've worn them lifting for 3 years now. Love em.

  7. chuck taylor mother****in all-stars!!!!!!!!!!!
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe

  8. Quote Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
    chuck taylor mother****in all-stars!!!!!!!!!!!
    No doubt. There is no comparison IMHO....
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //

  9. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I really like Rogue Do-Wins.

    http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_dowins.php

    Your friend should def invest in shoes that have a good arch support or good orthotics.

    Haha CopyCat, sometimes our training just really matches hand in hand. I second the Rogue Do-Wins... probably the best purchase I've made equipment wise ever. After years of squatting in whatever running shoe I had at the time, I'm completely convinced that the proper shoe makes the difference.
    From what I've gathered, if it interests anyone... traditional Do-Wins have a higher arch, or a larger heel. Rogue's version has a slightly smaller heel, and I love the feel. Any higher and I'd personally be off the mark I think.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    Basketball shoes. Its what I have used to lift weights/squat for over 9 years now, they provide optimal cushion and support for any exercise, especially squats.
    You actually lose elastic response when squatting in a soft sole. Although discrete, you sink into the shoe while you decend... the compression, although slight, makes you lose some power transfer from the ground up. I squatted in whatever I had for years, and after schooling up with Mark Rippetoe, I gave weightlifting shoes a shot and I'm completely sold on them. Give them a try sometime, you might be suprised.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    You actually lose elastic response when squatting in a soft sole. Although discrete, you sink into the shoe while you decend... the compression, although slight, makes you lose some power transfer from the ground up. I squatted in whatever I had for years, and after schooling up with Mark Rippetoe, I gave weightlifting shoes a shot and I'm completely sold on them. Give them a try sometime, you might be suprised.
    makes sense, I was thinking of picking up some vibram 5 fingers

  12. Those look interesting. My buddy does his in hard/flat sandals or barefoot. I personally like the security of having my feet wrapped in a shoe though. I realize that it's not really that much extra protection, but I hat stubbing my toes. However, those do look cool and the concepts there. Bet you get a lot of people coming up to you and asking about them in the gym.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  13. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I personally like the security of having my feet wrapped in a shoe though.
    Thats what I figured would be nice about them. And Im sure you would get some unique looks from people

  14. Barefoot, IMO.

    I used to lift barefoot all the time. I got snapped at by the owner, so now I just take my shoes off for sets on the big lifts (Squats/Deads).

  15. These -


    or these -


    I've got the second pair there.. diff color.. Anyway, absolutely love them; closest thing to barefoot without allowing glass shards and such to slice into your foot.

  16. I like the Fivefingers KSO (grey upper, clay bottom)

  17. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    I like the Fivefingers KSO (grey upper, clay bottom)
    Hell yeah..

    I also like all the attention it gets me from the curious ladies .

  18. i use adidas ironworks II

    much much better than barefeet and much much better than sneakers/running shoes

  19. Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Hell yeah..

    I also like all the attention it gets me from the curious ladies .

    I was going to say that they remind me of my wifes toe socks. So, chicks very may well think those are cute.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  20. AsylumLifter
    AsylumLifter's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by paulygon View Post
    I am looking to get a little bit of feed back on what shoes everyone wears to do squats.

    I am thinking about investing in a pair of Do Wins, chuck tailors, or even wrestling shoes, and I am trying to figure out what everyone uses.

    I have read numerous places that track shoes are not good to squat in, and I want to see what the consensus is for an affordable and proper squat shoe.

    Thanks,

    P

    Also- A friend of mine has severe shin pain when he squats and dead lifts, could it be the shoes he wears that are killing his shins? He has high arches—any suggestions to stop the pain, other than stop lifting?
    It really depends on how you lift. If you do Sumo DL or Wide Stance squats then you probably want to look at hi top chucks or wrestling shoes. But if you do close stance squats some olympic shoes would work great. For Conventional DL most will go barefoot and some like olympic shoes.

  21. Weight Lifting Shoes 101

    Some great info here

    I have modified my chucks in recent months to help with wide stance squatting and sumo deadlifting. I'll take some pics and do a write up at some point in time on that.
    1010 Squat @ 220 (#1 ranking in world) 801 Dead @ 198 (#1 ranking in world)
    Sponsored by USPLabs
    Live Your DREAMS -> WWW . KABUKIWARRIOR . COM

  22. I just wear a pair of adidas wrestling shoes when deadlifting or squatting. I prefer them over bare feet for the ankle support. Of course I am cheap and didn't want to spend alot of money on specific weight lifting shoes, I know the Chuck T's are cheap but I don't care for the look of them, still gotta look cool when squatting LOL.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What do you lift at what weight? Bench/strict curl/dead/squat RAW
    By SportbikeBob in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
  2. Dead lift help
    By davek in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
  3. Weight Lifting Shoes 101
    By kabuki in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
  4. Squatting/Dead lift/ Weight lifting shoes
    By paulygon in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
  5. Weight Lifting Shoes...
    By russy_russ in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Log in
Log in