How often should I use lifting gear (Suits and shirts)

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  206.5 lbs.
    Answers

How often should I use lifting gear (Suits and shirts)

I've always been curious of this. I'm not competing but the majority of my lifting is done on the powerlifting side of things.

I currently have a F7 shirt that isn't near competition tight. I'll do a few odd sets with it about once a month. However I was wondering if I could be getting more gains or getting accustomed to higher weights by benching more with the shirt.

All of my sets are not 1 rep with gear; I'll have a few sets of 3-5 rep with a weight I know I can manage to get a feel for the shirt's rebound and to check form. From there it's stacking on weight for one or two reps.

Same deal with my suit. Although I just have the cheapest titan suit I'll do a workout once a month or so with it and knee wraps.

At the moment I weight around 200lbs and am benching 300 and squating 350 without gear. I get about 20-30lbs out of my gear when I use it.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

I would use the squat suit with the straps down any time you are speed squatting or working up to a max, this will really save your hips if you are a wide stance squatter.
    If your not competing the shirt is just more of a luxury thing to train in and I would just use it for a max effort variation once in a while. If you begin competing though, you are going to want to make it more frequent so that you master the shirt.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  206.5 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I would use the squat suit with the straps down any time you are speed squatting or working up to a max, this will really save your hips if you are a wide stance squatter.
    If your not competing the shirt is just more of a luxury thing to train in and I would just use it for a max effort variation once in a while. If you begin competing though, you are going to want to make it more frequent so that you master the shirt.
    Fair enough. I'd like to compete which is why I have them. I figure it's better to practice and have some idea of what I'm doing rather than having to jump in head first 3 months before a comp.

I do a semi wide squat.
    YouTube - 405lbs 2 rep squat
    It's an old video and I didn't hit parallel but you can see my stance. I still notice a lot of growth in my hips squatting this way.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What martial art suits u da best ???
    By SELFofGOD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
  3. Not Sure if you can post this but (Funny weight lifting shirts)
    By East1600Plus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM
  4. Titan Suits for Sale Good Deals
    By EricT. in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
  5. opinions on shirts/suits/etc.
    By glenihan in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM