Need help increasing back arch (Bench)

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
When im benching i do my best to get the most arch i can from my back. Seems that i only get my arch about 2 inches, maybe more, off the bench. Last week i was trying to arch so hard during a press that I strained my back. It wasnt very fun at all. Can anyone give me some help on how increase my back arch and keep my ROM down on the press.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
one thing I had read about was using increasingly larger PVC piping while benching, sounded painful... I am trying to do the same, I am using a roller at home, not while benching, and trying to get more range of motion- while keeping my ass on the ground I try to touch the ground with my shoulders. I just started, so I cant comment on the effectiveness of the "exercise".

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i've heard of stuff like that. Sounds like it's worth a shot. Thanks dood

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
How are you setting up? Do you tuck your feet or have them out in front of you? The pvc pipe works but it can be a little to unforgiving sometimes, I personally like using a deflated football and adding a little more air to it each time I start to feel comfortable at a certain arch. Other things that have really helped me are foam rolling and strengthening my lower back with exercise like back raises or Arch back GM's. If you are just starting to arch it really helps to just set up for a press after every workout. When I first started I would go to an empty bench and set my self up about 5-10 times on my non pressing days.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
I usual tuck my feet as far as i can while still maintaining a good contact with the ground. I push out on the uprights, or whatever, and try to bring my hips back as far as i can. Sometimes My ass comes off the bench a little, maybe cause im too "wound up" with my feet and shoulders. THis could be a problem during a lift cause im pushing through with my legs and make me DQ on the lift. That and more ROM is my main concern.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you are pushing your heels to the ground and not pushing off of your toes when you use your leg drive, and for ROM just really try to hold as much air in your stomach as possible throughout the lift. As your pressing try to belly up to the bar rather than bring the bar to your stomach (if that makes any sense)

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PVC pipe!
Once you can comfortably bench with it, wrap a towel around the pipe to increase it's diameter. Keep adding towels until you are happy with your arch.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Just try to arch harder every time. Give it time, stretch. It takes a while.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you are pushing your heels to the ground and not pushing off of your toes when you use your leg drive, and for ROM just really try to hold as much air in your stomach as possible throughout the lift. As your pressing try to belly up to the bar rather than bring the bar to your stomach (if that makes any sense)
+1

I just recently discovered the difference between holding your breath and keeping air in your belly. Makes a huge difference in comfort and stability. It's almost like you can push air into your stomach and there is 10X less pressure in your upper body and head. I only say comfort because it's easier to focus on pressing when it doesn't feel like your head is going to explode.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
+1

I just recently discovered the difference between holding your breath and keeping air in your belly. Makes a huge difference in comfort and stability. It's almost like you can push air into your stomach and there is 10X less pressure in your upper body and head. I only say comfort because it's easier to focus on pressing when it doesn't feel like your head is going to explode.
That is huge also.

I have found it beneficial to do a few sets of weighted abs then bridges on the bench before my sets.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rxp1997 again.

good find dood thanks

Erik L

Erik L

Awards
Try to sit back more on your trap muscle and put your feet further back behind you

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
That is huge also.

I have found it beneficial to do a few sets of weighted abs then bridges on the bench before my sets.
Funny, I always do a few pullups. Helps to keep my shoulders together if my lats are warmed up.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i was talking to a guy the other day who recommended doing some heavy curls before bench to keep your bi's pumped before doing bench. I guess its a good idea and may help you at the low end of the lift. Also i read that strenching out your back ( rhomboids and stuff i think) will help you also.