To anyone whos used Bill Starrs 5v5..

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

To anyone whos used Bill Starrs 5v5..

Hey guys, i start a variation of bill stars 5v5 today

Bill Starr - Glenn Pendlay 5x5 - Periodized Version, Dual Factor Theory

There is the link ^

the reviews on this are outstanding, but looking for some feedback, im still a bit iffy though, how intense are we suppose to go?

weeks 1-3 are crucial to get all reps/sets in so they were saying dont be going too heavy, but i can bench 105, for 5 reps 5 sets no problem..that wouldnt do anything however..so im guessing need to find that balance not too intense, not too heavy

what makes it overwhelming is all the terminology loading deloading phase, peak ahh

2. 1HP

I've made great strength/size gains on this program. I use my own adaptation of it now tuned to what volume I can handle and which lifts I want to improve.

It's really a great program, follow it to the letter and you will learn a lot about your body and what loads/volume you can handle.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Yeah i've dont think ive ever really trained with volume knowingly lol, does that adaption look good?

They suggest going only 2 times a week on the deoading phase though, but yea id rather put more emphasis on bench over squats, buit im just going to follow this to a T
    •   

4. 1HP

This program works.. Don't add extra excersises either, what you're doing on this program is enough!! Enjoy!!!
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Wisdom View Post
    Yeah i've dont think ive ever really trained with volume knowingly lol, does that adaption look good?

They suggest going only 2 times a week on the deoading phase though, but yea id rather put more emphasis on bench over squats, buit im just going to follow this to a T
    Why put more emphasize on bench rather than squats? More growth potential for the overall body is garnered from the squat/dead lift than the bench or bb/tri exercises.

Follow the program to the letter, and when you start adding weight each session, you'll see why the 105 isn't that light ... before you know it, you will have added pretty solid weights...it'll be heavy before you know it.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Thanks guys!

starting soon, my onlyyyyyyyy concerns are not working the biceps/triceps directly, will that result in atrophy, or strength loss?

Im following it exactly as it says since im too push of a wuss to tweak or deviate in fear ill lose a pound lol

So today for squats its steady weight 5 sets.

Im thinking 315

So warm up sets probably around two sets or so and then.

315x5
    315x5
    315x5
    315x5
    315x5

onto bench press it's 1x5 so ramped sets, pyramiding upward (just a note, i thought pyramids were bad)

Im thinking 275 for 5 (been off supplements/gym a week(

So probably

205x5
    225x5
    245x5
    255x5
    275x5

and then a ramped set of dynamic rows

No clue so lets just say 185 is my highest

125x5
    145x5
    165x5
    175x5
    185x5

Now I just repeat this for four weeks, adding about 2.5 percent more weight each week, if im comprehending this correctly
  7. 1HP

starting soon, my onlyyyyyyyy concerns are not working the biceps/triceps directly, will that result in atrophy, or strength loss?
    No they will grow, trust me on that
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Woo guys! today was brutal! a week off and a cold dosent mix well with this routine haha.

I ended up doing 275x5 for the squats

and bench i progressed upward frm 185 to 255 (kind of a big leap each set, my shoulders paid the price lol)

The dynamic rows were wow, not sure if i did the form correctly I took a video and am gunna post it in excercise science to have it critiqued but i started at 135 and ended up 175 with these bad boys

so all in all my legs are jellow and my body is shot haha
  9. 1HP

Enjoy the ride m8
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Ok guys just a few more questions now for tomorrow my routine is

squat 5x5 (20percent) of mondays squats so 20 percent of 275 is 55 so ill be going 220.

Deads 5x5 probably around 275 or so for this set.

then it says military or incline, now the military is standing shoulder press, however is the incline, incline bench? the article dosent specify on what exactly "incline is"

And on friday i've got a 5x5 set of bench, so if i ramped up to 255 on monday with my 1x5, would I do a comfortable weight so lets say 225, because i know i could go 275 for a set of 5, but i could not carry that weight for all 5 sets.
  11. 1HP

squat 5x5 (20percent) of mondays squats so 20 percent of 275 is 55 so ill be going 220.

then it says military or incline, now the military is standing shoulder press, however is the incline, incline bench? the article dosent specify on what exactly "incline is"

And on friday i've got a 5x5 set of bench, so if i ramped up to 255 on monday with my 1x5, would I do a comfortable weight so lets say 225, because i know i could go 275 for a set of 5, but i could not carry that weight for all 5 sets.
    Yeah you guessed it right, military press like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html

or incline benchpress.

I highly advice the Military press option..
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Alright HP thanks brotha, So i guess i am in good understanding of how this routine works, ill be doing standing militarys today.

and continue to post here for your help :P
  13. 1HP

Alright HP thanks brotha, So i guess i am in good understanding of how this routine works, ill be doing standing militarys today.

and continue to post here for your help :P
    Sure m8 no problem
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Hmmm, I don't remember the program having squats and deads on the same day? Man, it's been years since I used it though, so maybe. So is tomorrow your light day for chest? You said, 255 and now ramping up today/tomorrow?

So, your going to ramp up from 225 to 275, within 5 sets???

lol, i was thrown because in the intro you listed 105 for 5 sets

EDIT: NVM about the statement concerning squats deads on the same day, I was thinking of something which someone used as a tweak of the program.
  15. New Member

yeah the light squat day and the deadlift go on the same day. I am on week three and I love it. The first week I could barely walk b/c of the all the squating. I went from doing 275x5 for 5 sets to doing 305x5 for five sets. But I love it..you just have to keep it intense....I also got caught up in looking at the sample grid they proved on the website to figure out how much I should increase. Just find that comfortable for yourself...just make sure it is an increased number.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Yeah, last friday for halloween I actually didnt up getting that day and drank all weekend but w/e.

Come monday my bench was signifigantly impacted but the squats were up 10 pounds same with rows

Im gunna log this routine wiht my new supps though and track the progress

sitll following it to a T, I find though after squats, my deads are ****, and after the entire wensday workout the next day my body is like paralyzed haha
  17. 1HP

Yeah, last friday for halloween I actually didnt up getting that day and drank all weekend but w/e.

Come monday my bench was signifigantly impacted but the squats were up 10 pounds same with rows

Im gunna log this routine wiht my new supps though and track the progress

sitll following it to a T, I find though after squats, my deads are ****, and after the entire wensday workout the next day my body is like paralyzed haha
    Nice I found Xtend (BCAA+Glutamine+Citruline Malate) to greatly improve my recovery rate and I can keep gaining in the same blast way longer. Somehow I fully recover within 48 hours from squats for example. The same does not apply to deads/benchpresses though, those I need 5 days for to fully recover on Xtend, 7 without Xtend.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Looks like it's still going solid!
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Damn man my lower back and knees are hurting like a mother, need some deloading soon, dreading the gym right now to be honest.

Quesiton: how did you guys go about deloading?

Did you do the pure deload, or peak 3x3?

I read on elite fitness message bored that the pure deload was the way to go but not sure how many weaks to run that
  20. New Member

There's a site that has an excel spreadsheet that makes it a bit easier to figure everything out.

5x5

This is the one I used...worked great for me.

BTW...the spreadsheet download is at the very bottom of the page.
  21. SMD
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

5x5 is a top way to train. My friend uses it and he won the British U23 unequipped powerlifting championship this year. I hope it goes well for you.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Yeah man, Im repping 315 for three on flat bench now, and thats two weeks off from squats, im gunna try to get a 360 max, im running the 3x3 deloading for three weeks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
  2. whos got the cup
    By wedlund6 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
  3. UFC 77, whos going?
    By tattoopierced1 in forum MMA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 06:24 AM
  4. TrenX-Whos trying it???