Jesup power bar for squatting

1. Registered User

Jesup power bar for squatting

I split time training between home and a gym that caters to powerlifters. At the gym they have a Texas Squat Bar and another (not sure the brand) squat bar. At home I have just a regular "power bar." The knurling on the squat bar in the middle is real long...allows me to achieve a low bar position without the bar feeling like it is going to slide down my back. The bar I have at home has little weeny knurling in the middle that is about six inches long and doesn't contact my shoulders at all.

I don't know that I want to spend $400 on a Texas Squat Bar, so I was considering the Jesup power bar that I've read about as a good squat bar.

Question is on the knurling...is it long in the middle like a Texas Squat Bar? Or is it going to be more typical of a 'regular' power bar, with the six inches of knurling in the middle?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice you can give.

2. Registered User

I've got the Jesup Powerbar. Its short(6inches) in the middle.
  3. Registered User

Do you have any problems with it wanting to roll off your back? Or is the larger size (1 1/4") make a difference (making it easier to keep a low bar position without rolling?)

Thanks!
    Dan
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    Do you have any problems with it wanting to roll off your back? Or is the larger size (1 1/4") make a difference (making it easier to keep a low bar position without rolling?)

Thanks!
    Dan
    When I got home yesterday I measured the middle knurling and actually its only about 4 inches. I don't have a problem with it. Actually it digs into your back pretty good. It has VERY deep knurling(actually kinda sharp 2). The smooth part only makes up about 4-6 inches IF that on each side of the middle knurling. The outer knurl still comes in contact with my back when I squat and the middle knurl does 2. I can't squat in a tank top with this bar, it'll scratch u up pretty good.LOL!!! Hope this helps!

Similar Forum Threads

1. squatting day after pin
    By TylerDurden7 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 10:48 PM
  2. T-Roid and power station "power charge"
    By Alan82 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 09:13 PM
  3. Squatting
    By Sporter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
  4. squatting and deadlifting on the same day??
    By teddybear in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
  5. Article On Box Squatting
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 12:09 AM