Maxed On Bench Press, 455

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man, I'm goin for 475 next week.

This time I'll get more than 4 hours of sleep, and I'll do less sets leading up. (did 6 sets before I attempted 455)

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
any specific routine you follow? Or any lifting tips you can think of? Im just about your stats but a good BB bench has always alluded me, DB's I do great, but cant seem to do BB without my shoulders hurting.
fuk barbells. ahem, excuse me. i mean, adrenolin, your weight is awesome! but i just don't like barbells. i'm off them shlts permanently. i can actually DB bench MORE than i can barbell bench. something is amiss there. and it's almost always been that way. and i'm not one of those guys who does the DB half reps. i make em damn near scrape my arm pits when i go down with em. just the other day, i hit on a max test, just to see where i stood, 100 lb. db's for 5 reps; thought i would only be able to do one. yet i can't even get up 200 lbs. on a barbell for one rep. i would have tried more, but that's all the gym i go to has got is up to 100 lb. db's.

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
any specific routine you follow? Or any lifting tips you can think of? Im just about your stats but a good BB bench has always alluded me, DB's I do great, but cant seem to do BB without my shoulders hurting.
To be honest I've never done DB Bench...

No specific routine, just kinda make it up as I go.

I usually do 5 reps one week and 8 reps the next. I'll do 3 working sets, and if I can get 15 total reps, its time to move up the weight. On occasion, bench will kill my shoulders as well. I take a lot of joint health care supplements and they seem to help.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I'm exactly the same way. I refuse to do BB bench- I can get 80's up 5-6 times on DB press, but I struggle with getting 165 5 times. It's bad.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Do you bench like a powerlifter or bodybuilder? for some shoulder pain it can make a big difference.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i wasnt thinking changing your workout, you can still do the same rep/set scheme you use now using a powerlifting bench form. you might also check to see if your db press form is different, you might be tucking your elbows or maybe pressing lower on your chest...

rubtherock

Awards
Looks fake to me. No spotter? I'd opine that those are 25 pound rubber plates.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I'm exactly the same way. I refuse to do BB bench- I can get 80's up 5-6 times on DB press, but I struggle with getting 165 5 times. It's bad.
bench for some is hard........ not sure why, form maybe.

I cant bench for ****........most i got up to in the last 5 years was doing 225 for 3X8 reps..................lots of specific training and eating like a hog..........still had shoulder discomfort...

i tossed the BB flatbench and do BB incline instead, i use db's for flat......... no shoulder issues anymore.......

If those lifts are legit, thats sick...........

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
Looks fake to me. No spotter? I'd opine that those are 25 pound rubber plates.

agreed
u got 450 off the rack just as easly as 425???

and wheres your spoter
and on that 450 tha weight gose down wayy to fast it would be vary hard to over come that fast downward motion

soldier0213

soldier0213

Awards
agreed
u got 450 off the rack just as easly as 425???

and wheres your spoter
and on that 450 tha weight gose down wayy to fast it would be vary hard to over come that fast downward motion
Sorry bro, but I gotta chime in here.... I see massive guy's put up 300-370'ish and there is a LOT MORE BARBELL flex than what I am seeing here at 455 ?? ;) Not the first one to throw stones, but I also agree. There is way too much downward motion to overcome at the rate you pushed it back up.... Now, with the way the bar moved, etc etc, at most I would say that was a 200ish or so bench.
Just my 10 cents though ;) ;)

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
Sorry bro, but I gotta chime in here.... I see massive guy's put up 300-370'ish and there is a LOT MORE BARBELL flex than what I am seeing here at 455 ?? ;) Not the first one to throw stones, but I also agree. There is way too much downward motion to overcome at the rate you pushed it back up.... Now, with the way the bar moved, etc etc, at most I would say that was a 200ish or so bench.
Just my 10 cents though ;) ;)
I thought the same when I watched it.He lowers it way too fast to be 450.Not calling you a lier.I'm just saying it is very questionable.

AsylumLifter

Nice lift bro, but you really need to get a spotter by the bar when lifting that much. Ive seen plenty of guys bigger than you get hurt while lifting or the bar come out of there palm and the bar drops on there chest.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to agree with those questioning the weight as much as it seems like we're just being haters...

I have a ton more flex on the bar when pressing 385 than you do at 455. As well as the bench set you're using isn't the sturdiest looking and does not hardly move at all under the racking and unracking of the weight. And while you looking strong and lean you seem a bit too small to push that kind of weight.

If it's true then congratulations on that lift.

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
You unrack that weight like its 135 for a warmup set...its utter BS...smole and mirrors, and 455 would rock that mousetrap bench setup you have when reracking...

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Thats alot of trouble to go through just so you can post it up on the internet...hopefully it was a real lift. If they are real plates I couldnt see that being 4 on each...and they're not 100#'s. Idk dude very nice if its real.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
the number of plates on each side doesn't add up.