Barbells

vette00

vette00

Awards
I have my own gym in my house that i recently put in (1,200 sq ft). So i am use to using the public gyms bars. But when i bought my bars, they were different then the bars i have used. My bars spin and the sleeves. The bars that i have used in the public gym only the sleeves spin and the bar does not rotate. Now i know that Olympic lifts need the bar to spin, but i only do static lifts (deadlift, bench, squat, ect........).

For an example:

Squats- at my house the bar will roll or spin down my back when fatigue hits. At the public gym the bar would slide down at this point and the sleeves would spin.

Also, all the bars that i have ( IGX, Troy) bend. I use any where from 225-550lbs when i squat.

So my question to u guys is do you know of a bar that the sleeves are the only thing that spins and the bar stay in one place?

And a bar that does not bend w/ 550-600lbs on it?

Thanks guys

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
I have my own gym in my house that i recently put in (1,200 sq ft). So i am use to using the public gyms bars. But when i bought my bars, they were different then the bars i have used. My bars spin and the sleeves. The bars that i have used in the public gym only the sleeves spin and the bar does not rotate. Now i know that Olympic lifts need the bar to spin, but i only do static lifts (deadlift, bench, squat, ect........).

For an example:

Squats- at my house the bar will roll or spin down my back when fatigue hits. At the public gym the bar would slide down at this point and the sleeves would spin.

Also, all the bars that i have ( IGX, Troy) bend. I use any where from 225-550lbs when i squat.

So my question to u guys is do you know of a bar that the sleeves are the only thing that spins and the bar stay in one place?

And a bar that does not bend w/ 550-600lbs on it?

Thanks guys
god i hate you!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
If you look at the end of the bar you will notice an allen bolt. Get an Allen wrench and loosen them up just a bit and the bar will turn seperately from the collars. Just be sure to check them periodically to ensure they don't get too loose.

Also...I'm not using the weight you are, but my bars bow when I'm using weights in the area of 300#.

vette00

vette00

Awards
If you look at the end of the bar you will notice an allen bolt. Get an Allen wrench and loosen them up just a bit and the bar will turn seperately from the collars. Just be sure to check them periodically to ensure they don't get too loose.

Also...I'm not using the weight you are, but my bars bow when I'm using weights in the area of 300#.

Thats the thing i do not want the bar to turn. To be honest, i was thinking about the opposite, i was going to weld where the bar goes into sleeve, but i would rather have a bar that does this on its own.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Then if you torque the allen bolt down they won't spin. If you wanted to make sure they don't move you could take the bolt out and put some JB Weld on them for extra measure and then torque them down good and tight.

vette00

vette00

Awards
isn't there a bar that stays in one spot and the sleeves turn?

At the public gym thats how their bars were.

vette00

vette00

Awards
i did and the bars that they have r from 10 years ago and other places do not even have that info.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
i did and the bars that they have r from 10 years ago and other places do not even have that info.
If you find a place like powerhouse/golds etc that has bars you like, they would for sure know. Most places will give you a free trial of their gym. You get a change of scenery, and a chance to find out where they get them from. I dont know, just throwing ideas out there.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
You got an Olympic bar, they are made to spin and bend. I suggest you google elite fitness systems and pick up the Texas Power Bar. It will bend a little at about 500lbs, but there is no whip on the bar ie it only bends a finite amount and then its solid as a rock. I have had up to 850lbs on one of these bars and it didn't bend any more than what it does at 500lbs. The knurling on the bar is pretty bad @ss to so you can get a solid grip when squat and pressing and you can also tear half your shin off when deadlifting lol.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
there is an "s" at the end of barbells... my bad