Alternates
1. Christian Savoie Canada
2. Matty Parks Canada

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
This is going on right now and here's what's happened so far:

After the first day of competiton, all five groups have completed the first event, while three of the five have completed the keg toss. After a mild, overcast day being threatened by residual storms from Tropical Storm Hanna, here are a description of the events and the results I was able to get.

The first event was the loading medley. Each competitor had to carry two 105 kilo beer kegs and two 250 kilo sandbags across about 15 meters of sand and load them onto a platform.

Group 1:
1. Mark Felix
2. Derek Poundstone
3. Jason Bergmann
It looked like Stefan Solvi Peturssun hurt his hand. Luckily, his group didn't have the keg press today and at the 2nd event, he had it pretty heavily wrapped. His group has fingal fingers tomorrow, and whether he competes tomorrow remains a big question mark.

Group 2:
1. Phil Pfister
2. Sebastian Wenta
Oli Thompson and Richard Skog both looked impressive. Phil is bigger than ever, weighing in at what looks like 375. He is going to be a serious threat this year. He is absolutely immense and he's fit.

Group 3:
1. Terry Hollands
2. Tarmo Mitt
Janne looked fast, but not fast enough to beat Terry or Tarmo. Kevin just missed loading the last sandbag in the allotted time.

Group 4:
1. Arild Haugen
2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3. Lawrence Shalei (sp?)
4. Brian Shaw
5. Louis-Phillipe Jean
6. Brian Siders
Arild came out to impress and the top 4 were all really close. 2nd place had to go to the video truck, with Mariusz edging Loz by 4/100 of a second. Siders only loaded one keg, but still has the squat and press coming up, so all is not lost. The prediction of this heat being wildly unpredictable is proving to be true.

Group 5:
1. Dave Ostlund
2. Magnus Samuelsson
3. Travis Ortmayer
4. Jimmy Marku
5. Raivis Vidzis
6. Florian Trimpl
Dave dominated, putting up the fastest time of anyone in any of the heats. Magnus and Travis weren't far behind. With group 4 as the most unpredictable heat, group 5 is proving to be a mighty battle between 6 very experienced veterans.

This year's keg toss is different from previous years. Instead of having 10 empty, full-sized kegs, there were 8 sand-filled pony kegs ranging from 15 kilos to 22 kilos. The bar looked to be a bit higher than previous years, as well. It seems that the change from full kegs to the short kegs has noticably impacted the results as well. Where shorter competitors were at a disadvantage with the full kegs, the shorter kegs are allowing the shorter guys to get the full range of motion and utilize their explosive power to toss the kegs over the bar. Very few people got all 8 kegs.

Group 2:
1. Johannes Arsjo - 36.8 seconds
2. Pfister - 47 seconds
3. Skog - 7 kegs
4. Thompson - 6 kegs
5. Wenta - 4 kegs
6. Ide - 3 kegs

Group 3:
1. Tarmo Mitt
2. Nee
3. 4-way tie between Nigmatullin, Caron, Virtanen, and Hollands with 6 kegs

Group 5:
1. Travis Ortmayer - super fast
2. Marku - All 8 kegs, but significantly slower
3. Ostlund - 7 kegs
4. 3-way tie between Trimpl, Samuelsson, and Vidzis with 6 kegs

Another story is that Mariusz appears to have twisted his ankle before today's events started. It's very swollen and he's visibly tender when he's trying to walk on it.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Apparently, Marius P has withdrawn as well because of his injury.

Edit: No, Marius is still in it and kicking ass with a torn calf muscle.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
They won't show it on TV until maybe December, and I'm telling you the results as they come in. Day 1 was yesterday, 9/6, I believe.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They won't show it on TV until maybe December, and I'm telling you the results as they come in. Day 1 was yesterday, 9/6, I believe.
hahaha oh, my bad :gas: i was looking for the winners...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I cant believe the length of some of these guys careers!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Group 1 winners who will be going to the finals:
1. Derek Poundstone
2. Jason Bergmann

2 Americans. These guys are beasts if you've never heard of them. They have competed in IFSA mainly which is big in Europe. IFSA is like WSM, but the events tend to be heavier, requiring more strength and maybe less athleticism.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'd imagine that the strength of their core is a key element. A beastly core a day keeps the doctor away.
Core strength is the key. I made an excuse for being a bad yoke walker blaming it on my thinner frame, but a friend of mine with the same build showed me up on the yoke easily without a belt. Guess I need to strengthen the core more. :sick:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Group 1 winners who will be going to the finals:
1. Derek Poundstone
2. Jason Bergmann

2 Americans. These guys are beasts if you've never heard of them. They have competed in IFSA mainly which is big in Europe. IFSA is like WSM, but the events tend to be heavier, requiring more strength and maybe less athleticism.
And the rest:

After four days of brutal competition in front of one of the best crowds ever seen for the contest, we have our finalists. Competiton resumes on Friday and on Sunday evening, we'll crown the 2008 World's Strongest Man.

Group 5:
1. Travis Ortmayer
2. Dave Ostlund

Group 4:
1. Mariusz Pudzianowski
2. Arild Haugen

Group 3:
1. Tarmo Mitt
2. Terry Hollands

Group 2:
1. Phil Pfister
2. Sebastian Wenta

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm wondering If Siders was injured? It's just hard to believe that someone as strong as him couldn't make it to the finals.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering If Siders was injured? It's just hard to believe that someone as strong as him couldn't make it to the finals.
I don't know. Maybe he's just not quick enough. He was in Marius' heat too so there was really only one spot up for grabs. Arild Haugen is supposed to be an up-n-comer too.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hips,abs,glutes, lower back... Basically the muscles that would stabilize you if you had weight on your traps like when squatting or if you were doing overhead pressing while standing.

beast69

beast69

Awards
he is one of strongest POWERLIFTERS in the world...as far as I know he has been training for Strongman for a grand total of 3 weeks. Not too shabby if you ask me! I also believe he will be training moreso for strongman after WSM is over.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Is that you in the pic, beast?

Poundstone had a 3 point lead over Marius heading into the last day. Marius cut it to 1 point after the plain pull event. Poundstone and marius went head-to-head on stones to determine the winner. Marius gets to the fifth and final stone first, but Poundstone edges just slightly ahead as they go to place them on the platform. Poundstones stone is about 1/4 of an inch of center and rolls off the platform so Marius wins it again.

meatNcreatine

Awards
any video? I friggin have hard-ons for strongman comps:dance:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Not that I know of. I know a guy who went so I'll check with him. It won't air until around Xmas time.

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Not related, I believe.
It is odd son, and he has had special training for strongman since he was 8 years old, at the age of 16 he benched 180 kg, his goal is to be strong man by the time he is 25, how do i know...my dad, really does know his dad.:dance:

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
he is one of strongest POWERLIFTERS in the world...as far as I know he has been training for Strongman for a grand total of 3 weeks. Not too shabby if you ask me! I also believe he will be training moreso for strongman after WSM is over.
3 weeks he was in a strongman competiton last year on eurosport? and was crap.

bloodline26

bloodline26

Awards
I lifted against Brian Siders at American Open 2007. Needless to say, he won. 700 + bench ( shirted ) 900+ squat ( suited ) 800 deadlift ( suited )

Funny thing is, he gets **** on by all the guys in WSM

HarryManback

HarryManback

Awards
I love the strongman comps, have for years. And I have never disliked a competitor more than Pujunowski. He's a frikin jerkoff.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
kinda f 'd up when marius rubs it in by slapping poundstone on the back when hes relifting the last stone.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
video or on tv?

AsylumLifter

I think you guys are mistaken about Mariuz. Derek's girlfriend was just commenting the other day on another site about how great Mariuz was and how much respect he showed towards Derek before, during, and after WSM this year. Just like watching the news, things are not always as they appear.