Strength routine question

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

I've always trained for asthetic reasons. Recently I've made a concious decision to train for strength. I got tired of using the same weight for years (albeight increasing intensity in different ways.) I'm going to start being strict with my weights. I designed a push/pull/legs routine for myself. I wanted some critique. I don't have a weight belt to hang plates off for the bodyweight exercises, so until I get that it will just be to failure. I'm familiar with madcow and Westside, so please don't recommend those to me. Just criticisms on this routine only please.

Despite training for strength (trying to increase my numbers), I'm a bodybuilder at heart. So the mirror still has a hold on me :D

Tuesday - PULL
Deadlifts 5 sets of 5
BB Rows 5 sets of 5
Chinups 5 sets to failure
Auxilary work - shoulders, bicep curls

Thursday - PUSH
Bench press - 5 sets of 5
Overhead press - 5 sets of 5
Dips - 5 sets to failure
Auxiliary tricep work - dips/kickbacks

Saturday - LEGS
Squats - 5 sets of 5
Auxiliary work - calf raises, lunges

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

I've always trained for asthetic reasons. Recently I've made a concious decision to train for strength. I got tired of using the same weight for years (albeight increasing intensity in different ways.) I'm going to start being strict with my weights. I designed a push/pull/legs routine for myself. I wanted some critique. I don't have a weight belt to hang plates off for the bodyweight exercises, so until I get that it will just be to failure. I'm familiar with madcow and Westside, so please don't recommend those to me. Just criticisms on this routine only please.

Despite training for strength (trying to increase my numbers), I'm a bodybuilder at heart. So the mirror still has a hold on me :D

Tuesday - PULL
Deadlifts 5 sets of 5
BB Rows 5 sets of 5
Chinups 5 sets to failure
Auxilary work - shoulders, bicep curls

Thursday - PUSH
Bench press - 5 sets of 5
Overhead press - 5 sets of 5
Dips - 5 sets to failure
Auxiliary tricep work - dips/kickbacks

Saturday - LEGS
Squats - 5 sets of 5
Auxiliary work - calf raises, lunges
FWIW, I'd do Gironda Dips instead of regular dips, forget kickbacks, add heavy triceps work, add core/lowerback/glute/hamstring exercises and rotate exercises every 3-5 weeks. Personally I now prefer dips using resistance bands instead of a weighted belt, it's not as rough on the elbows yet very exhausting.

You could also look into DC or Max-OT, two programs that I think tie aesthetics and strength nicely (you said no madcow/westside references, nothing about others :thumbsup:)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I'd do Gironda Dips instead of regular dips, forget kickbacks, add heavy triceps work, add core/lowerback/glute/hamstring exercises and rotate exercises every 3-5 weeks. Personally I now prefer dips using resistance bands instead of a weighted belt, it's not as rough on the elbows yet very exhausting.

You could also look into DC or Max-OT, two programs that I think tie aesthetics and strength nicely (you said no madcow/westside references, nothing about others :thumbsup:)
Thank you for your input sir! I will look into those!

keyrock24

keyrock24

Awards
I like your routine .I use a similar 3 day split my self with a squat day ,bench day and deadlift day in that order with some of the standard supplemental and accessory repetition exercises that are used with each different core lift day .Plus I work my abs each workout day using a different ab exercise for each core lift day .My bench and deadlift days are similar to yours but I use different accessory exercises than you on squat day .I workout at home and try to make use of the equipment I have at home .I hurt my ankle about 2 years ago and can't do lunges and calf raises very good since I can't put much weight on my right ankle .Instead I do leg curls and leg extensions .I was following the basic template westside barbell routine with 2 ME days and 2 DE days using the exact core exercises they suggest along with their other suggested exercises .I had to improvise some of my equipment to use some of them .For instance I did reverse hypers by using the Scott curl attachment that came with my bench and anchoring my ankles on the leg extension attachment .I bought some stretch resistance bands to build up my band supply in anticipation of using them after I got more advanced .Instead of using them for the more advanced exercises they are used for.I improvised a lat pull down attachment, tricep push down attachment ,ab pull down attachment just name some of the equipment I made with the stretch bands . I have not been following this routine long but will probably add another accessory exercise to each core lift day along with rotating different variations of each core lift every few weeks something like way they do with westside routines .For example rotating rack pulls ,standard dead lifts and deadlifts off a platform on deadlift days.I still use the same amount of sets and reps that the basic Westside barbell routine I was using .For example I start out with the bar and do 5 reps for each core execise.Then add 10% more weight doing 3 reps until I get to 90% .Then I do 1x1 90%,1x1 95% and then a 1x1 100% of my 1rm .If I am feeling up to it I will add another 5% for a 1x1 105% and usually stop at that even if I don't miss .I went up to 120% before but could never duplicate it again .I use about the same amount of reps and sets as I was with the basic template for the supplemental and accessory exercises which was usually 4x8 depending on which exercise I am doing .