A bodybuilder lost in a powerlifters world

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Me: I'd like to start a powerbuilding routine. The reason is, I have great definition, but overall bulk/mass needs to be improved. Not to mention, I have weak numbers for a guy whos been lifting for 3 years. SO I've decided to focus on core lifts, compound lifts, heavy style.

My problem: My workout partner, who I usually share his days with (back day, chest day, pull day) is stuck in the idea that lifting 7 days a week doing each muscle group is beneficial for him.

I've tried to tell him that isn't the case, through various methods. He is just too stubborn and stuck in his ways. He doesn't understand that "shoulder day" will not do **** except tone his shoulders. He doesn't understand the importance of days off, or doing squats.

So I'm going to show him how to really gain muscle, and that is to lift heavy weights and eat a ton of food. The problem is (we lift at my house), he says to me each workout "Arms tomorrow?" "Chest tomorrow?" meanwhile I just did a dip/bench heavy routine. That leaves me with nothing to do, and him lifting by himself.

Basically we are like the odd couple. Any ideas? I mean I try to keep up with him as much as I can. But when he's doing freakin 25lb dumbell curls and I'm doing heavy deads, he thinks his exuberant energy the day after is because he's in better shape than I.

Really pisses me off.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Renegade - you guys are going down seperate paths - never the twain shall meet.

Could you look for a new partner with the same goal, but also help out your mate as well?

Would he be cool with that, and respect your decision for change?

Man, I love the mass building, the aching, the constant eating - I don't give a sh1t about the extra mud - work that off later. Good on ya!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Renegade - you guys are going down seperate paths - never the twain shall meet.

Could you look for a new partner with the same goal, but also help out your mate as well?

Would he be cool with that, and respect your decision for change?

Man, I love the mass building, the aching, the constant eating - I don't give a sh1t about the extra mud - work that off later. Good on ya!
Thanks for your answer bro. I think I will just continue doing my thing, and open my gym for him to work if I take a day off. We used to do the push/pull/legs thing myself, but his goals are seperate than mine (big-strong vs. 6-pack).

I'm hoping that my size increase in the next 6 months will show him what I am doing is more beneficial than his overtraining, isolation exercises. He can do what he wants, but I'm still going to do my style of training even if it conflicts with his.

PS He doesn't have much going for him other than lifting, which is done at my house. It's an outlet for him, so telling him I don't want to lift with him anymore might be a blow. He's like a brother to me, so I'll support whatever he does. I just wish we could both get into the real style instead of this oldschool two a day's split-high rep routine.

I mean I used to not even train arms, and my arms were bigger then then they are now where I have an 'arm day'. It's BS

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your answer bro. I think I will just continue doing my thing, and open my gym for him to work if I take a day off. We used to do the push/pull/legs thing myself, but his goals are seperate than mine (big-strong vs. 6-pack).

I'm hoping that my size increase in the next 6 months will show him what I am doing is more beneficial than his overtraining, isolation exercises. He can do what he wants, but I'm still going to do my style of training even if it conflicts with his.

PS He doesn't have much going for him other than lifting, which is done at my house. It's an outlet for him, so telling him I don't want to lift with him anymore might be a blow. He's like a brother to me, so I'll support whatever he does. I just wish we could both get into the real style instead of this oldschool two a day's split-high rep routine.

I mean I used to not even train arms, and my arms were bigger then then they are now where I have an 'arm day'. It's BS
I hearing you RR - you've got to look out for your mates, even when they're being stubborn bastards!

I reackon he will come around when he starts seeing the Mass Monsta emerge!

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Throw some research at him, that worked for me when i was an idiot and I have helped other people along with doing the same.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I would look into the 20 rep squat and/or 20 rep deadlift routine. 6 weeks of work at 3 days a week, if done right, will pack 10 lbs on and thicken you up all over. Once your bud sees the gains you are making he will drop those db's and grab a heavy bar. Good luck.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On your off days and his on days you could throw in things like sled pulling, tire flipping, farmers walks, and whatever else for GPP work.

Those are kind of "toning" type work. <------ I'm totally gonna get destroyed by the PL'ers here for that comment. :D

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
Cut the ties....... workout on your own, I have had partners and no partners... I prefer the 2nd option. No need to have problems with personalities, routines, days off etc..... you can do whatever you want.........I love working out solo!:thumbsup:

jonnyjames

jonnyjames

Awards
  • Established
Me: I'd like to start a powerbuilding routine. The reason is, I have great definition, but overall bulk/mass needs to be improved. Not to mention, I have weak numbers for a guy whos been lifting for 3 years. SO I've decided to focus on core lifts, compound lifts, heavy style.

My problem: My workout partner, who I usually share his days with (back day, chest day, pull day) is stuck in the idea that lifting 7 days a week doing each muscle group is beneficial for him.

I've tried to tell him that isn't the case, through various methods. He is just too stubborn and stuck in his ways. He doesn't understand that "shoulder day" will not do **** except tone his shoulders. He doesn't understand the importance of days off, or doing squats.

So I'm going to show him how to really gain muscle, and that is to lift heavy weights and eat a ton of food. The problem is (we lift at my house), he says to me each workout "Arms tomorrow?" "Chest tomorrow?" meanwhile I just did a dip/bench heavy routine. That leaves me with nothing to do, and him lifting by himself.

Basically we are like the odd couple. Any ideas? I mean I try to keep up with him as much as I can. But when he's doing freakin 25lb dumbell curls and I'm doing heavy deads, he thinks his exuberant energy the day after is because he's in better shape than I.

Really pisses me off.
I'm dealing with the same thing man, I just started training alone.

My wo partner was all about looking pretty, not about actually working out and he wore like $200 shirts to the gym. I got sick of him just hanging around and stopped working out with him

Until I find someone with similar goals, I am just going solo.

jonnyjames

jonnyjames

Awards
  • Established
Cut the ties....... workout on your own, I have had partners and no partners... I prefer the 2nd option. No need to have problems with personalities, routines, days off etc..... you can do whatever you want.........I love working out solo!:thumbsup:
hell yeah, nobody holding you back but yourself.

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
Hey Man,

I think you need to explain to your friend that he can still do his isolation lifts in moderation, but the big benefits are going to come from doing heavy lifts, especially for the lower body...there is nothing that will make your legs as big as squats will, and nothing that will make your back thicker like deads.

thats not to say that you cant do iso lifts...they have their place: at the end of a workout to push your muscles into complete and utter exhaustion.

sounds like you re doing well though, keep it up. way to get your friends back no matter what

Cerberus

Awards
Accumulate: 4-6 weeks: 60-79% loads
Transmutate/Concentrate: 2-3 weeks: 80-95% loads
Repeat.

Accumulate. Practice main lifts with easy prescriptions: i.e. 70% for 4x4. Accessory work, utilize any means. RP, straight sets, 6-12 reps, more volume. Goal is to accumulate some fatigue, but allow you to perform again when needed.

Transmutate/Concentrate: Main lifts dominant, try 2-3x / week with squat and bench. deadlift on occasion if you need. goal is to not allow yourself to recovery fully. increase volume, intensity, frequency, density, whatever. I like frequency personally.
Say you do:
Week 1: squat/bench: 80%, 3x5,3x3 (session 1,session 2)
Week 2: squat/bench: 85%, 3x4,3x2 (session 1,session 2)
Week 3: squat/bench: 90%, 3x3,3x1 (session 1,session 2)
Week 4: Begin new accumulation block.
Week 5: accum
Week 6: accum
Week 7: accum
Week 8: begin new transmutation/concentration block.

during transmutation blocks, keep 1-2 sets of accessory work in to maintenance hypertrophy.

Just some thoughts thrown out there. Hope you find what you like.