Want To Improve Your Deadlifting ? Here Is How...

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
There is so much talk about which are the best anabolic supplements one can lay their hands on, that it makes my head hurt. So how about this, there is a cheaper way of achieving great size and strength. It is hard work though so if you are a supp junkie :food: you better stop reading this thread now ! What I’m about to post here is a link to an article I found on T-nation about improving your deadlifting. Hope it finds some use in this anabolicMinds community ;)

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Deadlift Diagnosis

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Great read man, thanks for posting. Educational, yes, but arguably even moreso motivational. Got about half way into the article, and I'll be coming back for more in a bit. Some well-placed humor laced in, as with many reads over there. One of the better sites out there! I'm off to go search for a clean+jerk article, as I really want to improve there as well.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
good read.......

I love deads. I love the pain. They mentally and physically deplete me. I get a "high" from them. I find myself laughing/smiling while working out on deads day.

Yes i am sick.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I am personally guilty of not keeping my neck tense during the lift and often really struggle towards the lock out of my movements. To teach myself now I wear a hat backwards with it tilted down so that the brim has to stay in contact with my back throughout the movement. It has helped in my speed pulls so I hope i get the same carry over to my Max effort pulls

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I am personally guilty of not keeping my neck tense during the lift and often really struggle towards the lock out of my movements. To teach myself now I wear a hat backwards with it tilted down so that the brim has to stay in contact with my back throughout the movement. It has helped in my speed pulls so I hope i get the same carry over to my Max effort pulls
Say, that's a great idea! Reps for that one... simplicity is beauty.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that was a very informative read. Really helpful.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
good read.......

I love deads. I love the pain. They mentally and physically deplete me. I get a "high" from them. I find myself laughing/smiling while working out on deads day.

Yes i am sick.

HAHA ! I thought I was the only one, if I could do them 3x a week, I would. But the body can't handle constant bashing.
There are few things that give me as much of a "high" as beating a dead max. After that I smile and then I collapse down on the gym floor and 95% of the people around me think that I'm crazy...they are all the ones that spend countless hours doing bicep curls in front of the mirror :lol:
Out of curiosity, how often do you guys deadlift ?

Glad everyone here liked the article, very motivational...now I better get to business :dl:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I only actually do max effort (within 90% and up of my 1RPM) maybe once a month. Every week though I will do some speed pulls against bands or with chains at least once. Also I will usually work up to three to five rep maxes on a good morning or rack pull variation.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
HAHA ! I thought I was the only one, if I could do them 3x a week, I would. But the body can't handle constant bashing.
There are few things that give me as much of a "high" as beating a dead max. After that I smile and then I collapse down on the gym floor and 95% of the people around me think that I'm crazy...they are all the ones that spend countless hours doing bicep curls in front of the mirror :lol:
Out of curiosity, how often do you guys deadlift ?

Glad everyone here liked the article, very motivational...now I better get to business :dl:

i do deads backed with squats every tuesday. My mental focus and mood determines how intense i really do get....... regardless, i waddle out of them gym giggling.

My other workouts may suffer sometimes, but i give it my all on tuesdays.....

I have in the past, used the "starting strength" protocol........

1 week its squats twice a week, 1 day of deadlifting
1 week its deads twice a week, 1 day of squating.
repeat

Talk about needing calories.........

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
good post

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I rack pull 3x per month and dead lift 1x per month.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
anything from eric cressey is money!

check out his new book, maximum strength program

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
wow. so much stuff i'm doing wrong. and today was deads day too. great find!

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
I am guilty of overtraining because I try to go over a max almost every week, no wonder I'm not happy with my muscle gains. Well yesterday I tried something different, deadlifting from a platform and with chains. Think I'll combine that with rack pulls and do a max dead attempt in a third week. I'm much weaker in my upper body so this approach should help I think. Will try to incorporate seated front rows as well, I don't like machines much and I try to do most stuff with free weights but if you want to bust a plateau you have to start hammering muscles in many different ways.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am guilty of overtraining because I try to go over a max almost every week, no wonder I'm not happy with my muscle gains. Well yesterday I tried something different, deadlifting from a platform and with chains. Think I'll combine that with rack pulls and do a max dead attempt in a third week. I'm much weaker in my upper body so this approach should help I think. Will try to incorporate seated front rows as well, I don't like machines much and I try to do most stuff with free weights but if you want to bust a plateau you have to start hammering muscles in many different ways.
true. Im somewhat new to Deadlifting every week and from what ive read overtraining with them is easy to do as the movement and energy exerted while doing them puts alot of stress on the whole CNS. Maxing out isnt even something i do with them for overtraining reasons and i dont want to risk injury. Currently i do two warm up sets and then i do 5x5, each week. That combined with a brutal leg day and i may be taxing it. Its been two weeks like this and so far so good but i may need to back off the deads for a week, maybe 3 weeks then break 1 week and repeat? One thing is for sure ive been thinking about doing DL during random times of the day, esp when i here a good rock song.

:dl:

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
There is something addicting about deads. I used to hate them, then a while back I got back into doing deads..... now if im pissed or really itchin to lift ....... i think about deads.....and i see dead people

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
true. Im somewhat new to Deadlifting every week and from what ive read overtraining with them is easy to do as the movement and energy exerted while doing them puts alot of stress on the whole CNS. Maxing out isnt even something i do with them for overtraining reasons and i dont want to risk injury. Currently i do two warm up sets and then i do 5x5, each week. That combined with a brutal leg day and i may be taxing it. Its been two weeks like this and so far so good but i may need to back off the deads for a week, maybe 3 weeks then break 1 week and repeat? One thing is for sure ive been thinking about doing DL during random times of the day, esp when i here a good rock song.

:dl:
I know what it is like, I run deads+brutal leg workout twice a week for 4 weeks in a row, in week 5 I had to take 4 days off because the thought of a workout itself made me sick :jaw: :eek:
My next dead session was nowhere near as good as the ones before the break. Definitely back off training before you lose strength, overtraining sucks big time !

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
heres what not to do

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD0_0DIOAo"]YouTube - Amazing deadlift technique[/ame]

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
could his ass be any higher?

that is not funny, thats potential back injury.

if assy goes up first, the weight is too heavy................

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's obviously a joke vid. Let me see them joke with more weight.

They say to do proper deads head must be facing up...... this means straight on right, not actually up towards the ceiling? I can imagine how say facing up would throw off some people.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
idk whats worst kid's form, or his panting breathing pattern

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
there is nothing right about anything in that video. It's all semantics after that

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
at least he's wearing a belt!!:rofl: