Calcium in your PCT?

tattoopierced1

Intracellular calcium changes in mice Leydig cells are dependent on calcium entry through T-type calcium channels.

Luteinizing hormone (LH) regulates testosterone synthesis in Leydig cells by inducing an intracellular increase in cAMP concentration. LH also increases the intracellular calcium concentration ([Ca2+]i), dependent on the presence of Ca2+ in the extracellular medium ([Ca2+]e) for its effect. Despite these evidences, the identity of a pathway for calcium entry has remained elusive and the relationship between cAMP and [Ca2+]i has been questioned. Here we show that mice Leydig cells do have an inward Ca2+ current carried by T-type Ca2+ channels. In 10 mm [Ca2+]e, the currents start to be activated at -60 mV, reaching maximal amplitude of 1.8 +/- 0.3 pA pF(-1) at -20 mV. Currents were not modified by Ba2+ or Sr2+, were suppressed in Ca2+-free external solution, and were blocked by 100 microm nickel or 100 microm cadmium. The Ki for Ni2+ is 2.6 microm and concentrations of Cd2+ smaller than 50 microm have a very small effect on the currents. The calcium currents displayed a window centred at -40 mV. The half-voltage (V0.5) of activation is -30.3 mV, whereas the half-voltage steady-state inactivation is -51.1 mV. The deactivation time constant (taudeactivation) is around 3 ms at -35 mV. Confocal microscopy experiments with Fluo-3 loaded cells reveal that both LH and dibutyryl-cAMP (db-cAMP) increase [Ca2+]i. The db-cAMP induced calcium increase was dependent on Ca2+ influx since it was abolished by removal of extracellular Ca2+ and by 400 microm Ni2+. [Ca2+]i increases in regions close to the plasma membrane and in the cell nucleus. Similar effects are seen when Leydig cells are depolarized by withdrawing K+ from the extracellular solution. Altogether, our studies show that Ca2+ influx through T-type Ca2+ channels in the plasma membrane of Leydig cells plays a crucial role in the intracellular calcium concentration changes that follow binding of LH to its receptor.

Intracellular calcium changes in mice Leydig cells...[J Physiol. 2007] - PubMed Result

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calcium is required for MANY MANY processes...especially related to nerve transmission and cell functioning.

As an experiment, try dropping around a gram of calcium before your next heavy lift day...and tell me how much MORE you lift.

tattoopierced1

Calcium is required for MANY MANY processes...especially related to nerve transmission and cell functioning.

As an experiment, try dropping around a gram of calcium before your next heavy lift day...and tell me how much MORE you lift.
I just thought it was interesting and that alot of people might possibly overlook this simple thing as people in general over complicate things very easily it seems with all the "new" supplements coming out.