Nolvadex REDUCES Gains?!?

E

Eagleman003

Awards
I did a cycle of 1ad/4ad for 30 days at mild doses and gained a good 10-12 pounds. I started taking Nolvadex @ 40/40/20/20, some left over 6-oxo @ 500/200/200, activate pills and cycle support by AI. I am about at the end of my first week and I feel as though I have shrunk a good deal. My arm measurements went down 1/8 of an inch and my chest and shoulders look less full. My calories have been at around or above maintance for my new BW and i added a tiny bit of cardio postworkout for 20 min at around 60% intensity 3 days a week. I came to the conclusion that I am either imagining this stuff or the claim that nolvadex reduces gains is sorta true. I found this information when i did a search:

Nolvadex reduces IGF-1 production, which diminish the hypertrophic response. This IGF lowering effect is in fact one of the reasons for the use of tamoxifen to help with breast cancer. ER-negative breast cancer cells are responsive to IGF-1 (IGF-1 makes them grow), the fact that tamoxifen lowers circulating IGF-1 is the reason for its use as an anti-cancer medicine (Pollack et al. 1990)

Nolvadex (and other anti-E/anti-A) reduces bloating... while bloating isn't muscle mass, it can contribute to stimulating growth via 2 pathways: a) increasing intramuscular pressure (also called cell volumization) has been shown to increase protein synthesis (Stoll et al. 1992) and decrease muscle breakdown (Hallbrucker et al. 1990, Hallbrucker et al. 1991, vom Dahl et al. 1991, Häussinger et al. 1990, vom Dahl et al. 1995), whereas a ''flat'' muscle leads to a catabolic state ... to quote Haussinger et al (1996) ''cell shrinkage inhibits, whereas cell swelling stimulates, protein synthesis ''.

''Bloating'' improves joint stability and force levers which allows you to lift more weight either by desentisizing the protective mechanisms of the muscle (the more stable joint makes the CNS ''believes'' that it's safe to produce more force) or by improved leverage. This is why several powerlifters actually ''bloat'' on purpose prior to a contest (after they weight in). The capacity to lift more weight = more potential growth stimulation.

Estrogen is needed, to some extent, for optimal muscle growth.

---------------------------
I feel that the loss in strength I have recieved and the lose in BW is due to less bloating and the fact that Nolvadex reduces the aiblity to uptake glyocgen and water into the muscle cells which makes me seem less full all of the time. How much strength do you guys genereally lose coming off of a PH cycle? Not a AAS cycle.

Do you think after I am done with my PCT I will fill back up with glycogen and look better? Also, I was planning on doing around 3 weeks or so (23-25) days of nolvadex and not 4 weeks considering the dosages I used were mild to light and this was a PH cycle that lasted 30 days.

Any thoughts guys?

luke1984

luke1984

Awards
  • Established
I think it's because hormones(steroids) increase the amount of glycogen in your muscles. Glycogen retains water (a lot!), so your muscles look a lot fuller when you're on cycle.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be a lot of reasons but most people usually do not mantain everything they get off of a cycle. Especially if you get a lot of gains in a short amount of time. Diet and training will play a role too. A drop in calories and an increase in cardio can/will cause this in the absence of of elevated test levels. Nolva helps to minimize a rebound in estrogen but too much can also have negative effects on strength and growth too.

In the end, you got your gains in the presence of steroids. Do not expect to keep everything when you come off. the goal is to mantain as much as you can while returning your hormone, enzyme and other steroid altered effects to their baseline levels.

E

Eagleman003

Awards
What do you guys think about only doing my PCT for 21 days? Keep in mind that I did a PH cycle and wasw certainly not severley shutdown, libido perfectly fine, etc. I am also taking 6-oxo @ 500/200/200 and activate to increase test levels. I think the Nolva for this type of cycle was enough overkill for a PCT to only let it last 3 weeks. I wanna get off this stuff cause its very toxic and I can definetely tell that It's affecting glycogen uptake severely. But i dont want to be wrong, opinions?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You got puffy from the 4AD and the ATD and 6-OXO made you drop some of that water.

Water is not "gains" so you really didn't lose anything, just kept your estorgen levels down which is good.

Vordhosbn

Vordhosbn

Awards
The only gains you'll lose are water retention and gyno! Sounds good to me!

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah you probably just lost water weight. I know the feeling though because I actually like some bloat on cycle. I don't like the bloating of the face but bloated body looks awesome.

zed

zed

Board Supporter
Awards
are you using a creatine ether/no2 product during pct..i find it makes a big difference. also may want to add powerful. many people keep and continue gains/ muscle fullness buy adding these.