Toremifene: an evaluation of its safety profile.

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
Harvey HA, Kimura M, Hajba A.

Division of Hematology/Oncology, Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA. [email protected]

Toremifene has been in clinical use for 8 years for the treatment of advanced hormone-sensitive breast cancer and the adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer. More than 350,000 patient treatment years have accumulated, sufficient to allow evaluation of its longer-term safety profile in comparison with tamoxifen and, where possible, with raloxifene and aromatase inhibitors. We reviewed all preclinical and clinical safety data from 1978 to 2004 and comparative clinical safety data between October 1995 and the end of 2004. Secondary endometrial cancer incidence was lower with toremifene than with tamoxifen and was similar to that with raloxifene. It is speculated that toremifene may unmask existing endometrial tumors rather than induce new events. The risk of stroke, pulmonary embolism, and cataract may be lower with toremifene than with tamoxifen and the risk of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis lower than with raloxifene. Beneficial estrogen agonistic effects were equivalent to those of tamoxifen regarding bone mineral density and superior regarding lipid profiles.

PMID: 16289904 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Good article. I know Torem treats me far better than Tamox. Tamox ruins my skin by giving me little red bumps on my forehead and body..seems like a sign of oxidative damage if I had to guess. That and Torem works 10X faster and better for PCT purposes IMO.