nolvadex (tamoxifen)-dangerous?

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Hey just doing a little research and came upon a site that had some pretty unsettling information about tamoxifen. Perhaps I am just the last person to read this but it talks about corneal cancer, blood clots, and other problems. Just wanted to put this on here in case some of you have never seen it. Or perhaps someone could shed some light on the issue for me as maybe more research has been done. Information is here.
Tamoxifen - A Major Medical Mistake?

I

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Next thing, they will tell us the PH/Steroids are bad for you too.:head:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Listen, women w/ breast cancer are on Tamoxifen Citrate for years, sometimes in adjuvent therapy with a next generation AI. Now, although we are obviously in a different physiological state than a woman w/ breast cancer, the point is Tamox. is relatively safe for the very short periods we use it.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps I am just the last person to read this but it talks about corneal cancer, blood clots, and other problems.
Well, I don't know about corneal cancer per se, but I have read articles in which the use of tamoxifen citrate has been known to cause eye problems in a small percentage of users.

Funny thing is, I used Nolva for the first time in August and in recent weeks have noticed that the labels on my supp bottles are getting harder and harder to read. Hope it's just my imagination...or age catching up with me.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i get some "floaters" across my vision occasionally when i am using tamoxifen. no biggie.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I'm like totally scr***d. My coronary stent is coated with it. It is supposed to help with rejections and clot build up. Interesting how a med is used in completely different situations.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
All medications carry risks. Understand the risks and make decisions based upon your own risk/benefit ratio.

I

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to RxMed
Ocular changes have been reported in a few breast cancer patients who, as part of a clinical trial, were treated for periods longer than 1 year with doses of tamoxifen that were at least 4 times the highest recommended daily dose of 40 mg. In each instance, the total amount of drug exceeded 100 g. These changes were a retinopathy and, in a few patients, corneal changes and decreased visual acuity. There were multiple light refractile opacities in the paramacular area, and macular edema. The corneal lesions consist of whorl-like superficial opacities. Ophthalmologic examinations of selected patients who received long-term therapy with tamoxifen at recommended doses did not detect any ocular pathology attributable to the drug.

A number of cases of visual disturbances, including infrequent reports of corneal changes, and retinopathy have been described in patients receiving tamoxifen therapy. An increased incidence of cataracts has been reported in association with the administration of tamoxifen.
canadadrugs.rxcarecanada.com
According to a 1978 study in Cancer Treatment Reports and another published in Cancer in 1992, about six per cent of women taking even low-dose tamoxifen suffer damage to the retina and corneal opacities and decreased visual acuity. Irreversible corneal and retinal changes can occur in those taking 20 mg. of tamoxifen twice a day (twice the usual dose). These changes may have no immediate effect on visual acuity, but may predispose the eyes to later problems including cataracts.
breastcancer.org
Eye problems are a rare but possible side effect of tamoxifen. Years ago, when the doses of tamoxifen given were twice what they are today, a few women suffered minor eye damage in the cornea and retina (areas of the eye). A small study of women on today's doses showed an extremely low risk of such eye changes, and those changes went away when the women stopped taking tamoxifen.