Saw Palmetto in PCT...

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
I use saw palmetto in my PCT protocol, and I realized that I really never see that mentioned by anyone.

I know Saw Palmetto isn't as popular with guys my age, and it is mostly older guys who use it, but does anyone besides myself use it in their PCT?

O14

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I read an article somewhere (maybe the core?)about DHT blockers (5aR inhibitors) being used 'pre' PCT to help with reducing negative feedback at the hypothalmus. There was also a thread around here somewhere, probably called Pre PCT.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't see the point in running it specifically in PCT. As the previous poster mentioned, its use COULD (theoretically) be valid if started prior to a cycle and run throughout; the idea mainly being to help control any impact androgens might have on one's prostate.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I always run Saw Palmetto with a cycle and through the completion of PCT.

I'm not going to take any chances and I can't see how it would hurt.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Yup, I run before and during.
Now that I think about it. I don't see why you wouldn't just make it a regular supp.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I run it during a cycle and pct. after a 1test and SD cycle it seemed to help a lot.

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I should have clarified...

I run it during a cycle, though PCT and sometimes beyond...it take a while to kick in from what I can tell anyway...

Sorry, should have clarified, but I do like it during PCT esp since by the end of the cycle, I'm shedding...bad.

I usually up the dose...

O14

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
I run it as a regular part of my supps. You can never be to careful when it comes to a healthy prostate especially if you cycle.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I seem to remember some discussion in another thread or two on the forum about saw palmetto and estrogen... but I don't recall exactly was said in the end. Perhaps a search will turn up those discussions.

If you just look at a monograph on it, however, you can see (emphasis mine) that there may well be cause to investigate at least the statement, "It can't hurt" and the idea of running it year-round as a regular supplement.

NOTE: I am not saying you should or shouldn't use saw palmetto or making any comment to that effect, only sharing information.

Saw palmetto ( Serenoa repens, Sabal serrulata ) is used popularly in Europe for symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate). Although not considered standard of care in the United States, it is the most popular herbal treatment for this condition.

Multiple mechanisms of action have been proposed, and saw palmetto appears to possess 5-alpha-reductase inhibitory activity (thereby preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone).

Hormonal/estrogenic effects have also been reported, as well as direct inhibitory effects on androgen receptors and anti-inflammatory properties.

--Natural Standard® Patient Monograph; from MayoClinic.com

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
I seem to remember some discussion in another thread or two on the forum about saw palmetto and estrogen... but I don't recall exactly was said in the end. Perhaps a search will turn up those discussions.

If you just look at a monograph on it, however, you can see (emphasis mine) that there may well be cause to investigate at least the statement, "It can't hurt" and the idea of running it year-round as a regular supplement.

NOTE: I am not saying you should or shouldn't use saw palmetto or making any comment to that effect, only sharing information.

Saw palmetto ( Serenoa repens, Sabal serrulata ) is used popularly in Europe for symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate). Although not considered standard of care in the United States, it is the most popular herbal treatment for this condition.

Multiple mechanisms of action have been proposed, and saw palmetto appears to possess 5-alpha-reductase inhibitory activity (thereby preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone).

Hormonal/estrogenic effects have also been reported, as well as direct inhibitory effects on androgen receptors and anti-inflammatory properties.

--Natural Standard® Patient Monograph; from MayoClinic.com
I suppose this makes sense seeing as how androgens affect the prostate and saw pal's inhibitory effects on androgen receptors. So what else could/should be taken in order to help with the ol' prostate?

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Here's a partial list of some substances that are supposed to be of benefit re: prostate health --
  • saw palmetto
  • pygeum
  • stinging nettle
  • Cernilton
  • lycopene
  • zinc, selenium
  • pumpkin seed, pumpkin seed oil

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I am 34 and will be taking this for the rest of my life. Get your Prostate exam when you turn 35 and every year after.

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i used saw pal. during cycle of emax and pct.

by not feeling any problems, im guessing it worked :)

mr_min

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I also run saw palmetto during cycle and pct

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Here's a partial list of some substances that are supposed to be of benefit re: prostate health --
  • saw palmetto
  • pygeum
  • stinging nettle
  • Cernilton
  • lycopene
  • zinc, selenium
  • pumpkin seed, pumpkin seed oil
I've been running Saw Palmetto for over 7 years now, on and off cycle, ever since it was my mainstay in lowering my PSA from 10 down to less than 3. I still use it, Selenium, Garlic and Lycopene but my additional favorites are Beta-Sitosterol and Green Tea. I buy them as bulk powder, cap them and take 650 mgs of SP, 1.3 gms of BS and 3 gms of GT. The latter two have great secondary benefits as well.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Here's a little book on natural treatments for the Prostate, not the whole story but it's a good start.

Attachments