Lifting light to start pct

warren123

Awards
I've got a week until my pct starts and wanted to know how you guys deal with lifting in your pct. Seems to me some people lift just as heavy while others suggest going lighter and just stimulating the muscle.

I'm going to be lifting at about 50% while cutting out cardio, is this the best scenario? After 2 weeks I will increase my lifts but I'm going to have a hard time going light :).

What have you guys done with your lifting/cardio in pct and how were your results?

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
I've got a week until my pct starts and wanted to know how you guys deal with lifting in your pct. Seems to me some people lift just as heavy while others suggest going lighter and just stimulating the muscle.

I'm going to be lifting at about 50% while cutting out cardio, is this the best scenario? After 2 weeks I will increase my lifts but I'm going to have a hard time going light :).

What have you guys done with your lifting/cardio in pct and how were your results?
You have the right idea bro. Stimulate. Don't tear up. 3 week work in intensity. G2G

warren123

Awards
I see a few logs on here where people continue to lift heavy on pct, is there a reason for this? I believe the topic was covered in manbeasts pct thread I just can't find it on my phone if it was or not.

Thanks

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
I see a few logs on here where people continue to lift heavy on pct, is there a reason for this? I believe the topic was covered in manbeasts pct thread I just can't find it on my phone if it was or not.

Thanks
They believe that hittin it hard they will keep there muscle. Wrong! On cycle your body is constantly anabolic, you recover faster, your stronger, grow faster... Blocking estro and cortisol. When you come off what happens? Your natural levels are gonna try to come back but at that point your body is shut down. You have little to no test or estro. Cortisol starts to set in. Your body has a hard time to repair itself and build still. Your intensity will leave to.

warren123

Awards
They believe that hittin it hard they will keep there muscle. Wrong! On cycle your body is constantly anabolic, you recover faster, your stronger, grow faster... Blocking estro and cortisol. When you come off what happens? Your natural levels are gonna try to come back but at that point your body is shut down. You have little to no test or estro. Cortisol starts to set in. Your body has a hard time to repair itself and build still. Your intensity will leave to.
Just thought people would have more of an idea I guess.

Thanks a lot bro you've been a huge help during this cycle.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Just thought people would have more of an idea I guess.

Thanks a lot bro you've been a huge help during this cycle.
U got it brother :)

BeastMode 1

BeastMode 1

Awards
First off, awesome results on your last cycle bro. gaining 25 lbs and keeping it all! uve def got your Ish down pat.

Ive never tried the whole deload thing-***ts totally new to me. But manbeast swears by it, so it must be the way to go. My only question is didnt you find it harder to maintain strength gains you reached by deloading? I guess your gonna lose strength coming off either way, but i try to make retaining strength key.

If pushing your body in your pct is the worst thing you can do, would taking a few days to a week off as you begin pct be another good option??

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Ya strength is the hard one it took me 2 weeks after pct to get that strength back but did

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bump for more advise on training while starting PCT (as I am doing my first gym session today since starting pct yesterday)

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Bump for more advise on training while starting PCT (as I am doing my first gym session today since starting pct yesterday)
Whatever u guys wanna know ill help to my best abilities

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was just going to rep out on moderate weight for a week and go up from there, but I figured I'd bump in case someone else mentioned something that I might want to incorporate or whatever :p

I'm not really trying to hold onto gains, as I couldn't tell if I made any other then some strength gains. But I lost 13lbs and I apear to have kept most of my size if not gained some.
It's strange for me, as I have never really done a "cut" cycle before (more of I started working my but off on new job and didn't want to loose muscle lol)

I'd only ASSUME that training while in beginning of pct is the same regardless of the cycle goals huh?

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Ya u will keep dropping fat but you wanna retain that muscle you have worked hard for

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ya u will keep dropping fat but you wanna retain that muscle you have worked hard for
Luckily, I have 15 years of muscle memory to fall back on, so I figure if I loose some I'll gain it right back if I can eat enough to outdo the calorie expenditure of 8+ hours a day hauling tons of gravel and digging trenches lol. (I need my cushy IT job back)

jpg0923

Awards
When people say lifting light, I've seen that taken in two ways. One theory is to literally lift lighter weights, but do around the same number of sets and exercises. However, some people say lift normal weight, but do less total sets for each body part to keep your gains. What would you recommend?

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
When people say lifting light, I've seen that taken in two ways. One theory is to literally lift lighter weights, but do around the same number of sets and exercises. However, some people say lift normal weight, but do less total sets for each body part to keep your gains. What would you recommend?
Personally ill do less weight with higher reps. 12-15 set range to stimulate. Shouldn't need more than that

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've changed my mind after some playing around..
Personally, If I lifted normally with less sets I still got a small hormonal response after training that I didn't seem to get when doing the higher reps.
I figure this can only be a good thing while in pct.

I'd just say try both and see what tickles your pickle

duke66

duke66

Awards
  • Established
My two cents is this: I believe in keeping intensity high and decreasing total volume per session per week. What this translates into, in terms of sets and reps, is halve your sets and reps. By doing this you are still giving the muscle stimulus but not tearing down so much so that you create a huge catabolic response. This approach works for me and some other guys I train with. It is by no means the end all be all best approach, but it is a quick brief pct workout approach that does not leave me feeling like crap afterward.