dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't have access to the full study yet, but..

1: J Appl Toxicol. 2009 Jul 14. [Epub ahead of print] Links
Effects of resveratrol analogs on steroidogenesis and mitochondrial function in rat Leydig cells in vitro.Svechnikov K, Spatafora C, Svechnikova I, Tringali C, Söder O.
Department of Woman and Child Health, Pediatric Endocrinology Unit Q2:08, Karolinska Institute and University Hospital, Q2:08; SE-17176 Stockholm, Sweden.

Resveratrol and its analogs are considered to be a promising drug candidate for treatment of cancer and different age-associated diseases. In the present study we have investigated the effects of resveratrol and its synthetic analogs on steroidogenesis and mitochondrial function in primary cultures of rat Leydig cells. Our findings indicate that resveratrol and its analogs structure-dependently attenuated hCG-activated steroidogenesis in Leydig cells through suppression of the expression of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and cytochrome P450c17. 3,5-Diacetyl resveratrol was observed to modulate mitochondrial function in Leydig cells, suppressing polarization of inner mitochondrial membrane, and 3,4,4'-trimethoxystilbene stimulated the overall activity of intracellular reductases involved in the reduction of WST-1 to formazan. Thus, the inhibitory actions of resveratrol analogs on steroidogenesis in Leydig cells indicate novel mechanisms of action of these compounds, which may be of potential therapeutic interest, where suppression of androgen action is needed. Copyright (c) 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I really hope my Leydig cells are not like a rat's cause me loves resveratrol.

IMO, we won't get a complete picture of what rez can do for another 20 years because it has such vast differences in action in different cell types.

Yellow

Yellow

Awards
  • Established
Good finding, dsade.
Interested in this also.

subcribed....

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In layman terms, what does this imply?
It shows a negative effect of endogenous test production by Resveratrol and analogues IN RATS.

AS mentioned, it might not apply to humans, but while Res seems to be a valid aromatase inhibitor, using it during PCT might prolong or prevent full recovery.

Ju1cedUp

Awards
  • Established
yea the only time i used res in my PCT, i lost almost all my gains. i wont trust it again

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok...but what about using it not in pct for someone who doesn't do cycles that require pct?
suppressing leydig (testicular) mitochondrial function and steroidogensis (at least chronically) is a bad idea.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
suppressing leydig (testicular) mitochondrial function and steroidogensis (at least chronically) is a bad idea.
Dsade.
Wouldn't using an AI like Formestane or a test booster like LJ100 possibly counteract these possible inhibitory effects of Resveratrol?

It is a relatively newer compound as far as research so those might be true.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dsade.
Wouldn't using an AI like Formestane or a test booster like LJ100 possibly counteract these possible inhibitory effects of Resveratrol?

It is a relatively newer compound as far as research so those might be true.
Formestane is a compound all its own (I love it), however JUST from the AI properties, absolutely not. The Res already shows AI properties (aromatase inhibition only blocks existing Test from being converted to Estro - has no effect on how much test you are producing naturally).

As far as I know, LJ's menchanism is still no elucidated completely.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
Formestane is a compound all its own (I love it), however JUST from the AI properties, absolutely not. The Res already shows AI properties (aromatase inhibition only blocks existing Test from being converted to Estro - has no effect on how much test you are producing naturally).

As far as I know, LJ's menchanism is still no elucidated completely.
Errgh. that is rather scary.
Would the PCT formulas out there that contain the RES blunt the possible negative effects then?
Being that they have other compounds that support natural test production.

BTW I am almost finished with my bottle of PLCAR.
Keeping me lean and has me feeling pretty good.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Errgh. that is rather scary.
Would the PCT formulas out there that contain the RES blunt the possible negative effects then?
Being that they have other compounds that support natural test production.

BTW I am almost finished with my bottle of PLCAR.
Keeping me lean and has me feeling pretty good.
PLCAR is actually one of the compounds that will help counteract. Keep in mind this is one single study done on rats, and is by no means automatically transferable to humans. The extent of effect, or even clearly defined mechanism, remains to be seen which makes it difficult to decide if or even how to counteract the effects.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
PLCAR is actually one of the compounds that will help counteract. Keep in mind this is one single study done on rats, and is by no means automatically transferable to humans. The extent of effect, or even clearly defined mechanism, remains to be seen which makes it difficult to decide if or even how to counteract the effects.
Thank you Dsade.
I am not currently on RES , just on my vitamins, krill/coconut oil and ALCAR/PLCAR/NARALA.
But i was thinking of adding RES as a staple long term supplement and I want to know if it has any detrimental effects on my body.

liftin4fun

Awards
  • Established
I force's product? Is that what your talking about?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I force's product? Is that what your talking about?
We're not talking about anyone's product.....just the concept of using Reveratrol during PCT.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used it alongside clomid last PCT...didn't notice too much but then I doubt an herbal could blunt a powerful drug like clomid.

After clomid cessation I stayed on res, libido seemed good but the boys weren't hanging low.

No real cause for alarm, but some extensive bloodwork would be nice. The endurance boost I get from res is wonderful.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used it alongside clomid last PCT...didn't notice too much but then I doubt an herbal could blunt a powerful drug like clomid.

After clomid cessation I stayed on res, libido seemed good but the boys weren't hanging low.

No real cause for alarm, but some extensive bloodwork would be nice. The endurance boost I get from res is wonderful.
Hey Bioman...how did you dose the res? Did you take Quercetin and/or piperine alongside it to improve bioavailability?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I took Anabolic edge and my boys were hanging lower... i thought that was a sign of more test, rather than less??

No idea..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used Nutra's T-Rez so it already has piperine.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Aside from this. This has me worried a bit more:

In estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells, resveratrol acted as an estrogen agonist in the absence of the endogenous estrogen, 17beta-estradiol, but acted as an estrogen antagonist in the presence of 17beta-estradiol (20, 21). At present, it appears that resveratrol has the potential to act as an estrogen agonist or antagonist depending on such factors as cell type, estrogen receptor isoform (ER alpha or ER beta), and the presence of endogenous estrogens (17).
Resveratrol is a super agonist in breast tumor tissue, but has a 7000 times lower binding affinity then estradiol.
So taking Resveratrol would be safe with estrogen present, but very unsafe without. I wonder how that equates to taking Resveratrol alongside SERMS/AI's etc etc. In PCT or not.