Are my hormone levels messed up or what? - AnabolicMinds.com

Are my hormone levels messed up or what?

1. New Member

Are my hormone levels messed up or what?

Hey guys, I've had a browse of the forum over the last couple of days and found some great information. I didn't find an answer to my particular problem, though, and since a lot of you seem quite knowledgeable about these things I was wondering if you could help me out.

So what's my background? Well I'm 22, male, and from the UK. I haven't actually dabbled in steroids or supplements, but I'm suffering from problems that are kinda similar to those who have. Which is why, I guess, I came on here.

Basically, for a long period of time I've been experiencing low libido and poor erections. I thought it could be psychological, but after reading a bit more it seems like something genuinely is up with my body. I don't get morning erections, for example. I don't get nocturnal erections (at least that I'm aware of), and I don't get spontaneous ones either. I can get it up with a girl usually, but I've even had a couple of problems here in the past. And on top of this, the fact that I have not just ED, but low libido, makes me think there's some kind of problem going on.

I used to think this was "just how I was", until a few months ago I started taking a herbal product - saw palmetto - for hairloss. Although it didn't help that much for my hair, I weirdly ended up being super-horny on it. I was waking up every morning with a boner, had great drive, and even my mental state was better than usual - I was happy, upbeat, and energetic. I came off it because it was making me piss all the time, and then when I went back to before (if anything worse) I realized there was a problem.

I've been to the doctor and got some preliminary blood tests done. The results were:

- Prolactin: fine at 112 mu/L (below 400 is normally considered to be fine)

- Total testosterone: classed as 'normal' at 442 (range 228-794)

- Estradiol: classed as 'normal' at 12.5pg/ml. The range basically said 'up to 50', although I've since heard that below 20 can also cause problems (although my doctor doesn't share this possibility).

I'm getting an SHBG test done next week, but apart from that my Doctor believes I'm fine. I'm clearly not, based on my symptoms, and I don't think the above labs are 100% great either. But I can't convince him of this, and right now I just have no idea what the hell's up with my body.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than open to hearing them.

Cheers guys,
    Gim

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

Interesting. I have always been a horny person. When i did a cycle of T-Roid during PCT my sex drive was completely shot and it was a horrible time!

Have you tried taking anything lke ZMA?
  3. New Member

Hey mate, no I've not tried ZMA before. The only supplement I've taken besides vitamins and fish oils is saw palmetto, and that made me feel great. What's in T-Roid? Is it designed to inhibit estrogen or something else?
    •   

4. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would have your DHT, E2, SHBG, free testosterone, LH, FSH, etc all tested for.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.

Saw Palmetto has been known to have effects on blood pressure.
    Typically blood pressure also has a great deal to do with the strength of one's erection.

Something you might want to look into.
  6. New Member

Hey guys, good calls on both fronts.

I've had E2 checked. It was rated '<12.5', i.e. undetectable or not specifically detectable in the lab. However, the lab range only said 'UP TO 52', so as far as the doc is concerned this isn't an issue. Could that be causing the problem? As for the other bloodtests, I'm getting SHBG tested next week, and the rest hopefully in the next month or two (money permitting).

I haven't had blood pressure checked in a while, but it's always come back OK. Also, my problem isn't erections as such, but low libido. I've just lost all drive by the looks of it.

Gim
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

no T-roid is a precursor to Trenadol. A steroid. When coming off it you get shut down pretty bad for a couple of weeks.

My dicks back now thank god!

ZMA could be good for you, its stableises the male hormoal system. I take it every night before bed and have naughty dreams!
  8. New Member

Hey mate, yeah I might give ZMA a go - I've heard some good things about it.

My plan right now though is to stay 'clean' of supplements for the next few weeks. I want to get a full blood panel done in this time. Once I've found out what's going on, then I can proceed to do something about it.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimzim View Post
    Hey mate, yeah I might give ZMA a go - I've heard some good things about it.

My plan right now though is to stay 'clean' of supplements for the next few weeks. I want to get a full blood panel done in this time. Once I've found out what's going on, then I can proceed to do something about it.
    That sounds like the best plan. Let us know all your results.
  10. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

You need to get LH tested for atleast; DHT , DHEA some T3/T4 would also give a clearer picture. Your testosterone should be much higher at your age; Things you can be doing to suppress it are overtraining, poorly sleeping, or not getting enough fats/cholesterol but it likely is something else.

Like the mentioned, ZMA is a good idea, and rather cheap. I would start that right off the bat, should be a staple for an athlete anyways. And get the more complete tests and let us know. Low E2 like yours is definitely a libido/erection killer. If you ever go out drinking, do you notice you wake the next day with a morning wood? The drinking can lead to a rise in E2.
  11. New Member

Funny you should say that, since when I go out drinking I always feel a bit of libido coming back the next day. My E2 didn't even register on the scale, and was just said to be BELOW 12. I've heard optimum is at least 20. The lab had no lower range, though, so as far as my doctor is concerned I could have no estradiol and still be fine.

I'm going private to get the next set of blood tests. I should be getting test, free test, E2, LH, FSH, and a bunch of other things tested - including the thyroid hormones. I can't afford these for a month, though, so effectively I'm going to have to forget about girls till then while I have NO libido - which, I can tell you, is a scary feeling.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

Doesn't one need healthy levels of estro to have libido?
  13. New Member

^ That's what I'm trying to find out. My Doctor thinks no. Everyone on forums like this, though, says you do.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. HELP with labs and hormone levels
    By fryzway in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
  2. Hormone Levels
    By blueandwhite in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
  3. Fat Guys and Testosterone levels - effect of obesity on male hormone levels
    By SilkPhantom in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM
  4. Thyroid hormone levels
    By CrimsonOsiris in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
  5. HRT and hormone levels
    By Anarchy939 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 12:17 AM