What's your position on gun rights? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

What's your position on gun rights?

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4320

    Reputation

    and what if he was stealing something so he could sell it to provide food for his 3 yr old daughter? this is what im saying, you have no right to take someones life for breaking into your home, a beat down yeah maybe, but a bullet, no.

  2. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    and what if he was stealing something so he could sell it to provide food for his 3 yr old daughter? this is what im saying, you have no right to take someones life for breaking into your home, a beat down yeah maybe, but a bullet, no.
    There are plenty of public assistance programs, even in the US, so that people don't need to commit felonies to feed their families.

    Once someone has entered my home without my permission, I am not willing to trust them to not try to harm my loved ones or me.
  3. Elite Member
    ManBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,515
    Rep Power
    48650

    Reputation

    like i said, they can take the sh*t from my house, but if they come after me or those i care about, "wake up time to die" (to quote a disturbed song).

    MB
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
    •   
       

  4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    and what if he was stealing something so he could sell it to provide food for his 3 yr old daughter? this is what im saying, you have no right to take someones life for breaking into your home, a beat down yeah maybe, but a bullet, no.
    that is his problem, and he should get a job. he surrenders his rights when he violates mine.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    you have no right to take someones life for breaking into your home,.
    Yes we do
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  6. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4320

    Reputation

    Well there's your problem.
  7. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7016

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Well there's your problem.

    According to you, not me....who lives here.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    and what if he was stealing something so he could sell it to provide food for his 3 yr old daughter? this is what im saying, you have no right to take someones life for breaking into your home, a beat down yeah maybe, but a bullet, no.
    going back to this, do I get to run a metal detector over him before he comes in the house to know he has no gun or knife on him? if not, then I have to assume he is dangerous to my family if he has so little regard for other individuals rights as to break into someone's home
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    First: it's not "a law" - it's an essential component of the way our nation is structured: part of the foundation laid on which we established our way of life. You may think it's old and stale, but tyrants are always searching for a foothold, and rendering the populace helpless against enemies domestic is an open invitation to tyranny.
    That is nothing but fear-mongering without any sound reason at all.

    Let me ask you this - If you are so worried about tyrants overrunning USA can you please name me such tyrants in last 100 years of USA history?? Maybe a couple of Presidents that took away all the civil liberties of US citizens, to such an extent that every American was thankful for having the right to gun?

    It is easy to make all these -tyrant-claims but lets hear out some concrete names/facts etc etc.

    Imposition of tyranny might not be *stale*, but I doubt any As for whether this makes us "safer" - look around: is this Somalia? Beruit '88? Israel's occupied territories? Sadr City? Rwanda? Darfur? Zimbabwe? He!!, it's not even *Bosnia* (gotta watch them snipers).

    Y
    WOW! Those are some of the most violent cities in the world and it is only amusing that you compare a USA city to a Somalian city

    Reality check time:

    a) Is LA safer than Stockholm(Sweden)? NO

    b) Is New York safer than Paris? Hell NO.

    c) Is Chicago safer than Berlin/Bonn/Stuttgart/Cologne etc etc. NO.

    d) Is an average American school/college safer than a European school/college? NO.

    e) Do more kids die due to gun firing in Tokyo/Seoul/Delhi than those in USA? NO.

    Start comparing US cities with half-decent cities of the world, specially those of 1st world country - Australia, UK, Holland, Germany etc etc. and you will see how fundamentally flawed your argument was.
  10. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    How did Keith Olbermann get in here...


    Thanks. For not comparing me to Dan Abrams
  11. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4320

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    That is nothing but fear-mongering without any sound reason at all.

    Let me ask you this - If you are so worried about tyrants overrunning USA can you please name me such tyrants in last 100 years of USA history?? Maybe a couple of Presidents that took away all the civil liberties of US citizens, to such an extent that every American was thankful for having the right to gun?

    It is easy to make all these -tyrant-claims but lets hear out some concrete names/facts etc etc.



    WOW! Those are some of the most violent cities in the world and it is only amusing that you compare a USA city to a Somalian city

    Reality check time:

    a) Is LA safer than Stockholm(Sweden)? NO

    b) Is New York safer than Paris? Hell NO.

    c) Is Chicago safer than Berlin/Bonn/Stuttgart/Cologne etc etc. NO.

    d) Is an average American school/college safer than a European school/college? NO.

    e) Do more kids die due to gun firing in Tokyo/Seoul/Delhi than those in USA? NO.

    Start comparing US cities with half-decent cities of the world, specially those of 1st world country - Australia, UK, Holland, Germany etc etc. and you will see how fundamentally flawed your argument was.
    Thank you, your points are much better then mine!
  12. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    Wait a minute, so arming the general populace deters criminals? You wouldn't say. You bring up the VT shooting. You think those kids want guns because they are scared? Maybe a few, but I bet the majority want guns on campus, because they realize that if someone had been carrying a concealed weapon in that classroom building that day, then perhaps they could have saved lives.
    Nabisco.

    Lets take this point further. I argue that students at VT want to carry gun more out of fright, you argue that it is because had one being carrying a weapon the catastrophy could have been avoided.

    To that my first question would be - Do guns belong in school in the first place?

    My second question would be - What sets a USA school apart from the rest of the world where such incidents do not happen?

    Lastly my question would be - If you have a kid tomorrow(not sure you do/dont) would you be happier if he/she goes to the college where every student has a gun, or would you be happier if he/she goes to a colloge without guns?

    Let me know.

    Cheers.
  13. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    My second question would be - What sets a USA school apart from the rest of the world where such incidents do not happen?
    that one is easy, the volume of guns currently out in the wild.

    Number of firearms in the US: 223 Million
    (Source: US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Guns Used in Crime, 7/95, from ATF data)


    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    Lastly my question would be - If you have a kid tomorrow(not sure you do/dont) would you be happier if he/she goes to the college where every student has a gun, or would you be happier if he/she goes to a colloge without guns?

    Let me know.

    Cheers.
    I have 2 kids, waiting for #3 to be born, and i'd be more comfortable with option A, the college where all students who arent disqualified for mental, drug etc reasons carry a gun. No one, not even the football team will try to rape a girl on that campus.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    That is nothing but fear-mongering without any sound reason at all.

    Let me ask you this - If you are so worried about tyrants overrunning USA can you please name me such tyrants in last 100 years of USA history?? Maybe a couple of Presidents that took away all the civil liberties of US citizens, to such an extent that every American was thankful for having the right to gun?

    It is easy to make all these -tyrant-claims but lets hear out some concrete names/facts etc etc.
    The fact that something has not happened yet does not mean that it will not or could not happen.

    And the mastermind of the Pearl Harbor attack had the following to say about a proposed Japanese invasion of the US:

    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

    WOW! Those are some of the most violent cities in the world and it is only amusing that you compare a USA city to a Somalian city

    Reality check time:

    a) Is LA safer than Stockholm(Sweden)? NO

    b) Is New York safer than Paris? Hell NO.

    c) Is Chicago safer than Berlin/Bonn/Stuttgart/Cologne etc etc. NO.

    d) Is an average American school/college safer than a European school/college? NO.

    e) Do more kids die due to gun firing in Tokyo/Seoul/Delhi than those in USA? NO.

    Start comparing US cities with half-decent cities of the world, specially those of 1st world country - Australia, UK, Holland, Germany etc etc. and you will see how fundamentally flawed your argument was.
    Those comparisons might be useful if the only difference between the US cities and the foreign ones is US gun laws. Of course, there are far more variables and the comparison is worthless.

    I will point out, though, that Chicago has the second strictest gun control laws in the US, and despite this, it is a very violent city.
  15. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Washington DC our capital as well
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  16. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4320

    Reputation

    Ok so all bickering aside what do you guys think needs to happen to reduce the gun crime in the states? If it isn't banning guns then what is it? Stricter punishments?
  17. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Ok so all bickering aside what do you guys think needs to happen to reduce the gun crime in the states? If it isn't banning guns then what is it? Stricter punishments?
    Effective enforcement of the laws already on the books would go a long way.

    Sentencing enhancements for people convicted of violent crimes with firearms would also work, as would severe punishments for repeat offenders.

    Combating the root causes of crime (poverty, lack of education, racism, lack of opportunity) would be the most effective means of combating violent crime.
  18. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    that one is easy, the volume of guns currently out in the wild.

    Number of firearms in the US: 223 Million

    (Source: US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Guns Used in Crime, 7/95, from ATF data)
    Basically you have answered the whole dogma right there, havent you Easy?

    The population of USA - 300 million, the number of firearms in USA - 223 million. Comes to about an arm per person really. Which other country in the world has this ratio? NONE. And which other country in the world is this unsafe? NONE. Okay maybe Zimbabwe, Israel, Middle East etc etc. But surely of all the 1st world country USA is the unsafest, inspite of gun laws. So obviously this hasnt worked, right?


    I have 2 kids, waiting for #3 to be born, and i'd be more comfortable with option A, the college where all students who arent disqualified for mental, drug etc reasons carry a gun. No one, not even the football team will try to rape a girl on that campus.
    You are going to the xtreme. If I take your analogy here you are somehow insinuating that every football player on every American college campus is raping a girl. That is hardly the case. And if there was gun that would not stop the rape anyway. Case in point, the rapes of American female soldiers inside the Armed Forces by their men counterpart. I am sure you have read many of those claims. Recently of course an American marine killed a female marine and buried her, you seriously think that American female marine was not strong enough to defend herself?? In all probability she would be carrying a gun too.
  19. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    Basically you have answered the whole dogma right there, havent you Easy?

    The population of USA - 300 million, the number of firearms in USA - 223 million. Comes to about an arm per person really. Which other country in the world has this ratio? NONE. And which other country in the world is this unsafe? NONE. Okay maybe Zimbabwe, Israel, Middle East etc etc. But surely of all the 1st world country USA is the unsafest, inspite of gun laws. So obviously this hasnt worked, right?
    Wrong. Availability of firearms is only one of many variables at work here.



    You are going to the xtreme. If I take your analogy here you are somehow insinuating that every football player on every American college campus is raping a girl. That is hardly the case. And if there was gun that would not stop the rape anyway. Case in point, the rapes of American female soldiers inside the Armed Forces by their men counterpart. I am sure you have read many of those claims. Recently of course an American marine killed a female marine and buried her, you seriously think that American female marine was not strong enough to defend herself?? In all probability she would be carrying a gun too.
    She should have been carrying one. Women in particular are vulnerable to violent crime because they are generally physically weaker than men. A firearms allows a 100 pound woman to defend herself against a 300 pound man.
  20. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
    The fact that something has not happened yet does not mean that it will not or could not happen.
    SO basically the whole theory of - guns against tyrants - does NOT have any factual backing. It is all a fear mongering no matter how you spin it.

    And the mastermind of the Pearl Harbor attack had the following to say about a proposed Japanese invasion of the US:

    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    International policies are clearly different than domestic policy. I am sure you understand that difference. It is one thing for an American not to trust a Japanese, it is completely different for an American not to trust an American. I guess you are suggesting the latter should be the case whereby Americans dont trust their fellow countrymen. Ummmmm.
  21. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
    Wrong. Availability of firearms is only one of many variables at work here.
    It is, as you said, atleast one of the variables. It is NOT helping the situation obviously. If it had USA would be the safest country in the world, clearly it is not.

    She should have been carrying one. Women in particular are vulnerable to violent crime because they are generally physically weaker than men. A firearms allows a 100 pound woman to defend herself against a 300 pound man.
    There you go, fear mongering again.

    How do you even know what happened? I would like to think a female marine is "capable" enough of defending herself against 300 pound man no matter what. And like I said before there is a good chance she had a gun at bare, still it didnt help her, did it?
  22. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    SO basically the whole theory of - guns against tyrants - does NOT have any factual backing. It is all a fear mongering no matter how you spin it.
    Considering that this is a country that was created in violence against tyranny, I'd say there's a factual basis for it.


    International policies are clearly different than domestic policy. I am sure you understand that difference. It is one thing for an American not to trust a Japanese, it is completely different for an American not to trust an American. I guess you are suggesting the latter should be the case whereby Americans dont trust their fellow countrymen. Ummmmm.
    I don't quite understand the point of this statement.
  23. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    It is, as you said, atleast one of the variables. It is NOT helping the situation obviously. If it had USA would be the safest country in the world, clearly it is not.
    Yes, it is a variable, but considering how many other variables there are it's impossible to make statements like the ones you make here. I could just as easily claim that things would be worse here if people didn't have the means to defend themselves.

    There you go, fear mongering again.

    How do you even know what happened? I would like to think a female marine is "capable" enough of defending herself against 300 pound man no matter what. And like I said before there is a good chance she had a gun at bare, still it didnt help her, did it?
    Well, you are incorrect, especially in cases where the attacker is also military trained.

    She did not have a gun. Had she, she would be alive today.

    How is it fearmongering to advocate being prepared to defend oneself?

    BTW, I should point out that according to the US DOJ, privately owned firearms are used for defensive purposes against criminals over 500,000 times annually.
  24. Advanced Member
    Dadof2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    413

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Ok so all bickering aside what do you guys think needs to happen to reduce the gun crime in the states? If it isn't banning guns then what is it? Stricter punishments?
    I just think that it is important to remember this one fact:

    People who are currently using guns to commit crimes are in fact criminals. If guns were illegal they would still use guns to commit crimes. Prohibition of anything is impossible. All prohibition accomplishes is to prevent law abiding citizens to partake in that activity which is prohibited by law.

    The reasons that the US has so many gun crimes have little to do with the fact that guns are legal. The vast majority of guns that are used in crimes by criminals are guns that were obtained via illegal means. Our problems are rooted in social, moral, and economic causes. Our problem also lies in an increasingly innefective law enforcement system, specifically our prison system.
  25. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    I just think that it is important to remember this one fact:

    People who are currently using guns to commit crimes are in fact criminals. If guns were illegal they would still use guns to commit crimes. Prohibition of anything is impossible. All prohibition accomplishes is to prevent law abiding citizens to partake in that activity which is prohibited by law.

    The reasons that the US has so many gun crimes have little to do with the fact that guns are legal. The vast majority of guns that are used in crimes by criminals are guns that were obtained via illegal means. Our problems are rooted in social, moral, and economic causes. Our problem also lies in an increasingly innefective law enforcement system, specifically our prison system.
    Exactly. However, it is far easier and cheaper to demonize an inanimate object like a firearm than it is to address the real problem.

    Remember that evil exists only in the hearts of men. An inanimate object like a gun can be neither good nor evil.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    Basically you have answered the whole dogma right there, havent you Easy?

    The population of USA - 300 million, the number of firearms in USA - 223 million. Comes to about an arm per person really. Which other country in the world has this ratio? NONE. And which other country in the world is this unsafe? NONE. Okay maybe Zimbabwe, Israel, Middle East etc etc. But surely of all the 1st world country USA is the unsafest, inspite of gun laws. So obviously this hasnt worked, right?
    and adding new anti gun laws wont make those 223 million guns suddenly disappear either. So adding new laws that make people who currently comply with laws have a harder time getting a gun still doesn't affect the ability of a criminal getting a gun, so is pointless. you have proved my point here that gun laws will not help at this point. Its a genie that is already out of the bottle.

    In countries that don't already have this volume of guns available would I suggest they loosen their gun laws? no. but taking the guns out of the hands of responsible citizens doesn't take them out of the hands of criminals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    Recently of course an American marine killed a female marine and buried her, you seriously think that American female marine was not strong enough to defend herself?? In all probability she would be carrying a gun too.
    apparently she wasn't strong enough to defend herself as evidenced by her death. And unless she was an officer she wouldn't have been carrying a pistol with her on her day to day rounds, only officers are issued and allowed to carry handguns.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  27. Senior Member
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Rep Power
    1041

    Reputation

    That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the
    symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.
    - George Orwell


    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    - Thomas Jefferson, 1776


    Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed;
    as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe.
    - Noah Webster, 1787


    The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people
    of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
    - Samuel Adams, 1788


    What is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.
    - George Mason, 1788


    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.
    - George Mason, 1788


    The militia is our ultimate safety. We can have no security without it.
    The great object is that every man be armed.
    - Patrick Henry


    And my personal fave:

    If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
    James Madison
  28. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4320

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post

    Combating the root causes of crime (poverty, lack of education, racism, lack of opportunity) would be the most effective means of combating violent crime.
    This i agree with. Every read Freakonomics? Make a valid point about legalising abortions and the crime rates falling dramatically over the next 15-20 years due to kids not being born into unwanted families etc. Sightly off topic but you get what i mean.
  29. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,394
    Rep Power
    956437

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
    Again, if you read the Parker decision, you will find a better summary of the history than I can repeat here. It clearly addresses the prefatory clause and its purpose. Prefatory clauses were very common in 18th century law, and they generally were not intended to make a statement of the entire or exclusive purpose of a law.

    Even the most liberal constitutional law scholars (such as Tribe and Dershowitz) concede that the 2nd is an individual right.
    all I am saying is read what I wrote in the first paragraph. I do not doubt how the modern world views it, however, in looking at it myself, the wording is a bit inconclusive
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  30. Registered User
    jrkarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    602

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    all I am saying is read what I wrote in the first paragraph. I do not doubt how the modern world views it, however, in looking at it myself, the wording is a bit inconclusive
    I did read it and I am familiar with the argument that you make.

    Regardless of how the modern world views it, plenty of evidence as to how it was viewed at the time it was written exists and it overwhelmingly points to an individual right.
  31. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,394
    Rep Power
    956437

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
    I did read it and I am familiar with the argument that you make.

    Regardless of how the modern world views it, plenty of evidence as to how it was viewed at the time it was written exists and it overwhelmingly points to an individual right.
    it truly is a battle of semantics IMO
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  32. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    and short of declaring guns illegal entirely and attempting to round up and collect them all, it wouldn't work out regardless.

    And attempting to round them up wouldnt work either
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  33. Senior Member
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Rep Power
    1041

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    and short of declaring guns illegal entirely and attempting to round up and collect them all, it wouldn't work out regardless.

    And attempting to round them up wouldnt work either

    It worked for Hitler.
  34. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    even in germany at the time the ratio of guns to people was nothing like in the US. it would actually be funny to see an attempt made
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  35. Senior Member
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Rep Power
    1041

    Reputation

    In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.
    From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend
    themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ------------------------------
    In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to
    1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
    up and exterminated.
    ------------------------------
    Germany established gun control in 1938 and from
    1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend
    themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
    ------------------------------
    China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to
    1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves,
    were rounded up and exterminated
    ------------------------------
    Guatemala established gun control in 1964.
    From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were
    rounded up and exterminated.
    ------------------------------
    Uganda established gun control in 1970. >From 1971
    to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
    up and exterminated.

    ------------------------------
    Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975
    to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were
    rounded up and exterminated.
    -----------------------------
    Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the
    20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
    ------------------------------
    It has now been 12 months since gun owners in
    Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be
    destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers
    more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

    List of 7 items: Australia-wide, homicides are up
    3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

    In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with
    firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens
    turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their
    guns!

    While figures over the previous 25 years showed a
    steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically
    upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their
    prey is unarmed.

    There has also been a dramatic increase in break- ins
    and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to
    explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and
    expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.
    The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

    You won't see this data on the US evening news, or
    hear politicians disseminating this information.

    Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and
    property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the
    law-abiding citizens.

    Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

    The next time someone talks in favor of gun control,
    please remind them of this history lesson.

    With guns, we are 'citizens'.

    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

    During World War II the Japanese decided not to invade
    America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
  36. Advanced Member
    MuscleBound1337's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    928
    Rep Power
    572

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    You think the USA is a safer country by allowing ordinary citizens to carry guns?? does it not have higher crime rates then practically every other civilized country on earth?? You guys are ridiculous. The stats don't lie.
    Gun Facts

    Banning guns is a great idea, perhaps you wouldn't have so many shootings if they were unavailable to a certain degree. Of course they can be obtained illegally but how many people would want to go down that route.

    How can you tell me gun control works. The country you're from is a prime example. Australia has not shown a decrease in gun related crimes since they have banned guns, rather violent crime is up significantly. The stats don't lie. Crime up Down Under

    NCPA - Policy Report 176 - Myths About Gun Control
  37. Senior Member
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Rep Power
    1041

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    even in germany at the time the ratio of guns to people was nothing like in the US. it would actually be funny to see an attempt made

    "Governments will ask you to 'trust them' to allow gun registration, then use those registration lists to later confiscate the firearms."


    It may not happen today or tomorrow, but over time without vigilance, it certainly will.
  38. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
    Yes, it is a variable, but considering how many other variables there are it's impossible to make statements like the ones you make here. I could just as easily claim that things would be worse here if people didn't have the means to defend themselves.
    And that argument wont hold water since Gun laws have been around for close to 2 centuries and USA remains one of the most unsafest countries in the world(amongst the Developed Nations of course).

    Well, you are incorrect, especially in cases where the attacker is also military trained.She did not have a gun. Had she, she would be alive today.
    All speculation. You can say this, I can say that, but in the ultimate end what is true is that a trained Marine who had license to carry firearms was killed. Now you can spin it any which way you like.

    How is it fearmongering to advocate being prepared to defend oneself?
    Because you are creating a situation where you are distrustful of everyone and anyone. You are scared of "what might happen" and advocate possessing guns to curtail that. Again I repeat, no other country has this issue, what is so bad about Americans that we need to carry weapons in our own Homeland??
  39. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    205

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    and adding new anti gun laws wont make those 223 million guns suddenly disappear either.
    Fair point that.

    While I definitely see your point of view I am disappointed that you think nothing can be done. It sounds kinda very pessimistic. Almost like nothing can be done in this case. If that is true(I beleive it is not) then why are we even having a discussion on this?

    In countries that don't already have this volume of guns available would I suggest they loosen their gun laws? no. but taking the guns out of the hands of responsible citizens doesn't take them out of the hands of criminals.
    You dont have any argument to make that suggestion in the first place!

    Lets compare USA to England. In certain areas of UK even the cops dont carry weapons, simple baton works for them. And guess what crime is quite low. So why would they like to carry the weapon in the first place?

    The whole idea of carrying gun is to act as a deterrent to crime.
  40. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    what is so bad about Americans that we need to carry weapons in our own Homeland??
    if there aren't any problems then what is the harm in carrying the gun? they don't go off by themselves. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

    Find the statistics that show the number of legally purchased firearms that have been used to cause a death. Far more deaths a year from alchohol, tobacco, cars, etc. Even far more deaths a year from doctor malpractice.

    Further gun laws will not stop the guns that are obtained illegally.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Philadelphia Eagles Position by Position breakdown
    By R1balla in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
  2. hand position on bench
    By Young Gotti in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
  3. Resigning from my position at Molecular Nutrition
    By Aeternitatis in forum Molecular Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 09:44 AM
  4. BB rows....hand position
    By East1600Plus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM
  5. Arm position ..... Not sure if I should post this here or not ..
    By Stinger124 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in