Dems deny a vote and say vote again so as to gain the result they want

Benderzzz

Awards
:blink: THis has never happened in our country although it has in someothers that are more totalatarian
they didnt like the vote and re voted just because they wanted to and (big shocker here) it was now all of a sudden to the liking of The Dems. that has never happened and should never happen in a democratic society. look it up if you want. the republicans were shouting shame and walked out. it sounded like some asian country. you know when they fight and throw shoes. lol
this country is crazy now
crazy crazy crazy

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Democrats only care about democracy when the popular vote supports their ideology.

billm311

billm311

Awards
  • Established
wait what?

can you elaborate a bit for me, this sounds ridiculous.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WASHINGTON - House Democrats apologized Friday for wrestling what appeared to be a winning vote tally away from Republicans on Thursday night.

Republicans continued to steam, however, over the episode in which they appeared to be the winners by a 215-213 tally on a procedural motion designed to make sure illegal immigrants would not get certain benefits from an agriculture spending bill.

Instead, with several lawmakers milling in the well of the House registering votes, Rep. Michael McNulty, D-N.Y., quickly gaveled the vote to a close, saying the GOP measure had failed on a 214-214 tie vote.

Republicans erupted, chanting "shame, shame, shame," and then walked out in protest after McNulty permitted further Democrats to switch their votes to prevail on a 216-212 tally. Despite winning that tally, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., moved for a revote as permitted under the rules and Democrats prevailed again.

On Friday, Hoyer apologized. "The minority was understandably angry," he said.

The heavy-handed tactics capped a partisan week in the chamber and Hoyer and Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, promised to try to work out some accommodation.

Still, rank-and-file Republicans remained furious and the brouhaha led the House to recess for a while Friday morning, before returning to debate assorted legislation, including a bill to aid in rebuilding the collapsed bridge in Minneapolis.

Democrats changed House rules in January to disallow the practice of holding votes open to affect the outcome. The new rule came after Republicans routinely held open votes to twist arms, including a 2003 episode on the Medicare prescription drug bill in which Republicans held a vote open for three hours until finally prevailing.

"Never once did we in the majority attempt to steal a vote," Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., said Friday.

The stakes on the issue involved Thursday were far smaller. Democrats had routinely accepted comparable language on illegal immigrants on other spending bills, but the agriculture measure was being debated under fast-track conditions denying Republicans a chance to offer the provision.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_go_co/congress_notebook_2

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
WASHINGTON - House Democrats apologized Friday for wrestling what appeared to be a winning vote tally away from Republicans on Thursday night.

Republicans continued to steam, however, over the episode in which they appeared to be the winners by a 215-213 tally on a procedural motion designed to make sure illegal immigrants would not get certain benefits from an agriculture spending bill.

Instead, with several lawmakers milling in the well of the House registering votes, Rep. Michael McNulty, D-N.Y., quickly gaveled the vote to a close, saying the GOP measure had failed on a 214-214 tie vote.

Republicans erupted, chanting "shame, shame, shame," and then walked out in protest after McNulty permitted further Democrats to switch their votes to prevail on a 216-212 tally. Despite winning that tally, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., moved for a revote as permitted under the rules and Democrats prevailed again.

On Friday, Hoyer apologized. "The minority was understandably angry," he said.

The heavy-handed tactics capped a partisan week in the chamber and Hoyer and Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, promised to try to work out some accommodation.

Still, rank-and-file Republicans remained furious and the brouhaha led the House to recess for a while Friday morning, before returning to debate assorted legislation, including a bill to aid in rebuilding the collapsed bridge in Minneapolis.

Democrats changed House rules in January to disallow the practice of holding votes open to affect the outcome. The new rule came after Republicans routinely held open votes to twist arms, including a 2003 episode on the Medicare prescription drug bill in which Republicans held a vote open for three hours until finally prevailing.

"Never once did we in the majority attempt to steal a vote," Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va., said Friday.

The stakes on the issue involved Thursday were far smaller. Democrats had routinely accepted comparable language on illegal immigrants on other spending bills, but the agriculture measure was being debated under fast-track conditions denying Republicans a chance to offer the provision.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_go_co/congress_notebook_2
"awww, boo hoo, politics is mean you guys just want it your way
play nice or i'm going home,...mom!" - disgruntled republican whiner

"Wow, why didn't we think of this sooner"!- empowered democrat

Benderzzz

Awards
:goodpost: Unfortunately this is what Washington has come to. I also believe it is only going to worse. Who knows when this going to come to an end and pop like a huge andro zit. But when it does you will know it this time.
I do believe the Majority on the hill should be ashamed and punished accordingly. Unfortunately certain major media outlets have chose not to report this and put it on the backburner in hopes that the majority of us normies never see it. Its pretty bad that a certain party of politicians whether it be Republican or Democrat can change a vote because they don't like the first one with a swing of a gabble.
But hey i guess it is acceptable. Not to me though. But hey they dont give a sh it they are going on vacation. Party time WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:djparty: :bow28: :drunk::chick:
Hey where's Bill :pose: <<<<<<<<<<<there he is

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
personaly i love hearing them complain about how they dont get paid enough. meanwhile soldiers are on wellfare

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
personaly i love hearing them complain about how they dont get paid enough. meanwhile soldiers are on wellfare
That IS pretty amusing. I don't object though to paying them large salaries. It's a tough job. You get practically no sleep, you travel constantly, and you're working almost 24/7 when you're a Senator or Representative.

What I object to is the golden parachute. If you aren't a Senator or Representative anymore you shouldn't be getting jack **** from the government. The rest of us schmucks have to save for retirement and find our own healthcare, so should they. Hell, they even get government security for the rest of their lives. Us other folk have to hire our own bodyguards and do background checks and ****. Their bodyguards are government trained elite, have perfect loyalty guaranteed, and access to US intelligence networks.

Lucky bastards.

If I didn't ahve to give up my company, I'd run for Rep to be honest.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
wow...i missed this completely. I'm not going to defend the dems on this cause that was pretty pathetic, but there's always been crazy things going on in the House. Well at least there isn't a filibuster in the House like republicans in the Senate have been using on pretty much everything and anything they dont agree with.

Benderzzz

Awards
Could you imagine if the Republicans did this
There would be investigation after investigation and everything else that would put the word scandal on it.
Noone can deny that. I guess we are getting what we deserve now due to the way we voted the most arrogant most elitest mind set individuals out there into a position of extreme power.
This is America now
I hope the best for this country but anything I vote for seems to get voted down and anything I want to have happen to better our country is not being done.
Democrats say move on its cool its a misunderstanding. We didnt mean it. BS. They are testing their power and it seems they could go even further with this obvious abuse of power.
I can see it now whn Hillary gets in. LOL
Cant wait
God help us

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
It's very unfortunate that there's not another free country exactly like America on this planet. Ot at least like the old America. Then, those in power would have to worry about losing citizens.

So now illegal aliens get welfare benefits, amongst other things.. If things like this keep up, people are just going to stop paying taxes.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Click here for the video

...and then DIGG it...

I think that Yahoo! article was written by a democrat. Forget you read it and watch the video.
One of the few times I agree with Lou Dobbs. If you read through that Diggs thread though there's some documentation about Republicans doing the same or similar things. So, both parties suck ****.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Could you imagine if the Republicans did this
There would be investigation after investigation and everything else that would put the word scandal on it.
Noone can deny that. I guess we are getting what we deserve now due to the way we voted the most arrogant most elitest mind set individuals out there into a position of extreme power.
This is America now
I hope the best for this country but anything I vote for seems to get voted down and anything I want to have happen to better our country is not being done.
Democrats say move on its cool its a misunderstanding. We didnt mean it. BS. They are testing their power and it seems they could go even further with this obvious abuse of power.
I can see it now whn Hillary gets in. LOL
Cant wait
God help us
LOL...sorry, but this post made me laugh. All the righteous republican rants i hear make me smile. What makes it even more funny is how you think the democrats are abusing their power while making it sound like the right, including this administration, is innocent of any wrong doing. I also havent heard elitist used in a while either...all those rich republicans in washington surely arent elitists though, huh?...they're looking out for the middle class right?

Benderzzz

Awards
you assumed a lot from that one post sir
I was merely using a specific event to illustrate my point
and notice how I say "the ones in power" meaning every elitest dog out there including republicans. I have no preference for any party really. If they do something dumb or arrogant I point it out and hope most americans do the same. Republicans a few years ago exteneded the time in which a vote could take place. this in my opinion is not the same as what took place with the democrats nor is it close. Because if it was then you would have heard a lot about it and there would have been numerous investigations. I do notice that the television media besides foxnews is biased against republicans and slants left and I notice that talk radio except NPR is biased against democrats and slants right. However I believe in Free market interprise and if they can turn a profit doing it this way than more power to them. If you dont like the fact that the Radio slants right then organize and do everything in your power to stop it that is within the original constitution. Promote NPR and boycott the talk shows you despise. That sir is the American way.
Dont get me wrong we live in the best country in the world I just pray that it stays this way and congress can get something done to help the middle class out and stop allowing intrest groups dictating our policies. Follow the money is probably the best advice i have ever recieved and it has shown me a lot thus far. Both parties can become corrupt not just the democrats or not just the republicans.
So please do not assume my affiliation as I have one affiliation and that is one that is for the honest hard working American Citizen with a dream of leaving this country better than his parents or grandparents could have ever thought possible
thank you

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This reminds me of a certain election in Washington state that took place in 2004... something about the governor?

I'm a little perplexed why people would want to give tax money to illegal immigrants who do not pay taxes.... ??
I personally feel that their are better uses for tax money

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
This reminds me of a certain election in Washington state that took place in 2004... something about the governor?

I'm a little perplexed why people would want to give tax money to illegal immigrants who do not pay taxes.... ??
I personally feel that their are better uses for tax money
I havent read the bill but it does seem a little wierd that anyone would object to denying illegals welfare. I'm all for social programs but i think we should be fixing and improving on the ones we already have and actual go to citizens of this country. About the paying taxes, i dont have the number off hand but there is a decent percentage of illegals who actually DO pay taxes. Tomorrow I'll try to find the report that the government came out with that shows the percentage.

Does anyone have the bill # ?

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
About the paying taxes, i dont have the number off hand but there is a decent percentage of illegals who actually DO pay taxes.
I guess I was just assuming that they dont. I figured that they wouldn't in order to prevent/delay being deported, etc

Benderzzz

Awards
if they need a soc security number to get a job then they will be paying taxes for that job
allbeit it isnt their number but the bulk that use fakes pay taxes from my experience

spunkles182

Awards
That IS pretty amusing. I don't object though to paying them large salaries. It's a tough job. You get practically no sleep, you travel constantly, and you're working almost 24/7 when you're a Senator or Representative.
:rolleyes: yeah right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/05/AR2006120501342_pf.html

according to this article the 109th congress worked 103days (and thats in a 2year span). and for this we are paying them $165,000/year (on average).

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
:rolleyes: yeah right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/05/AR2006120501342_pf.html

according to this article the 109th congress worked 103days (and thats in a 2year span). and for this we are paying them $165,000/year (on average).
After following one around for a day once, I have to admit they do work a long day. Most of it is spent shucking **** for special interests or getting new special interests, but they do have a long ass day, and they don't necessarily stop working when congress is out.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Actually the title of the thread " Dems deny a vote and say vote again so as to gain the result they want"

Made me laugh. It kinda describes politics in a nutshell.

And yes, both parties suck. It's all about party control and pleasing the big lobbies rather than doing squat for the country.