CHIEF JUSTICE Roberts has a seizure

  1. Question CHIEF JUSTICE Roberts has a seizure


    Chief Justice bruised in fall; 'no cause for concern'

    I was wondering with all due respect to the mans health, why is a man who has a history of brain seizures sitting on our highest court?

    Ultimately a 4-4 split nullifies the supreme courts power- YIKES!


  2. Considering the average age of those people I would not expect them to be the bastion of health.

  3. Yeah, Remember the guy who he replaced?

    REHNQUIST'S HABIT

    I hope Roberts is not another doper in robes!
    •   
       


  4. Its better than Senator Byrd. How anyone could still vote for him is beyond me.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  5. I wish Roberts the best. I dont always like his views, but the man is undoubtedly brilliant and capable as a Chief Justice.

    And I've said it before, doesnt anyone see the Sith-Lord Palpatine resemblance in Sen Byrd? Scary stuff

  6. Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    Chief Justice bruised in fall; 'no cause for concern'

    I was wondering with all due respect to the mans health, why is a man who has a history of brain seizures sitting on our highest court?

    Ultimately a 4-4 split nullifies the supreme courts power- YIKES!
    There's no law limiting the seats to 9. There's just institutional inertia. A president with enough balls and a compliant congress could get more people on the court or not fill vacated positions and let it shrink. My guess though is we're stuck with the 9 seats for quite some time. Seeing as how they only meet for such a limited time, any health problems are a minor nuisance I think.

  7. It is ironic how the youngest guy there...and the one who seems to be well tolerated by both sides of the isle..has a seizure.

  8. God likes to play games.. although I don't believe in god. Sounded good anyways....

  9. Quote Originally Posted by CDB View Post
    There's no law limiting the seats to 9.
    Ummmmm yes there is. The Judicial Circuits Act of 1869 set 9 seats as the law.

    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage...6.db&recNum=79

    This law can be changed by Congress but it's been that way for 138 years.

    And BTW, my first thought when I heard about Roberts was "good, I hope he lingers in a comma until February 2009."

  10. Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    Ummmmm yes there is. The Judicial Circuits Act of 1869 set 9 seats as the law.

    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage...6.db&recNum=79

    This law can be changed by Congress but it's been that way for 138 years.

    And BTW, my first thought when I heard about Roberts was "good, I hope he lingers in a comma until February 2009."
    Great. Now I get to bean my old law prof for misinforming me.

    Or maybe he simply meant congress can change the number of associates. Either way I stand corrected.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by CDB View Post
    Great. Now I get to bean my old law prof for misinforming me.

    Or maybe he simply meant congress can change the number of associates. Either way I stand corrected.
    He probably meant that there wasn't a constitutional mandate. That makes sense in the context of your statement. It's just a federal statute...they could change it anytime they want (as opposed to the tortuous process of amending the Constitution.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    He probably meant that there wasn't a constitutional mandate.
    Thinking back this is what I think he was saying.

  13. byrd for cheif justice !!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 12:48 AM
  2. Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies of Cancer
    By The Doberman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
  3. Looks like yellowjacket now has a following.......
    By pjorstad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 12:35 AM
  4. Father has seen the light!!!
    By Jarconis in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 08:37 PM
  5. Another inspiring Read..... ha.
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 08:28 PM
Log in
Log in