Bush Officially "making It Up As He Goes" !!!

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. What I just can understand is .... if Bush and Co. are so much for spreading democracy ... Why haven't they done something with Castro? ....

Cuba = Tabaco = $$$
    Iraq = Oil = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$

2. Castro isn't the best example. There's still an embargo on Cuba due to a grudge left over from the Cold War. There were several terrorist attacks on Castro back then, and in fact the world was virtually brought to nuclear war because of Kennedy's vendetta.

It was pretty much political imperialism ... If you were a Communist sympathizer, nothing else mattered. That's why the US helped install Augusto Pinochet and the Shah in Iran, and supported Saddam. Being anti-Communist mattered more than how democratic a leader you were. Anti-Communist dictators were favored over democratically elected leaders with Communist leanings.

A better point to raise is why Bush's people allied with Saddam for so long, even for a brief time after the Cold War was over, as well as Osama in the first place. Or installing dictators and stopping elections in various instances.

The truth is that most US leaders (and world leaders in general) are for democracy except when it's inconvenient to their strategic and economic goals.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Castro isn't the best example. There's still an embargo on Cuba due to a grudge left over from the Cold War. There were several terrorist attacks on Castro back then, and in fact the world was virtually brought to nuclear war because of Kennedy's vendetta.

It was pretty much political imperialism ... If you were a Communist sympathizer, nothing else mattered. That's why the US helped install Augusto Pinochet and the Shah in Iran, and supported Saddam. Being anti-Communist mattered more than how democratic a leader you were. Anti-Communist dictators were favored over democratically elected leaders with Communist leanings.

A better point to raise is why Bush's people allied with Saddam for so long, even for a brief time after the Cold War was over, as well as Osama in the first place. Or installing dictators and stopping elections in various instances.

The truth is that most US leaders (and world leaders in general) are for democracy except when it's inconvenient to their strategic and economic goals.
    There are so many points! The embargo is irrelevant in bringing democracy to Cuba. We've placed it ... so as I said .... pointless. We started a war and didn't even care what the UN thought. We could finsh with Castro tomorrow ... but what for? I just brought Cuba up to show the hypocracy of the "spreading freedom" 50th defense on going into Iraq. Also, I am of Cuban decent and its close to my heart. Want to talk about desregard for human rights? Cuba is a tragedy.

I think I read on MSNBC or some other news site that Cheney's stock in Haliburton didn't double, triple or quadruabled ... it multiplied by a factor of 32.

Why did we go into Iraq?

4. Quote Originally Posted by rcarracedo View Post
    Why did we go into Iraq?
    Because Iraq had the inclination, the stated desire, and some level of capacity to be expansionistic locally, and send attacks at the US. Unlike Cuba or Darfur.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
  2. buyb12 makes it easy...buy here
    By buyb12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:47 PM
  3. Well, I think this Sums it up...
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 03:13 PM