most important event in history

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Well me and my boys were doin what not (chillin with the capton or dancing with mary jane) when we randomly got on the topic of world events. I thought, "what is the most important (non-religious) event in history"

we came up with...
- Detonation of atomic bomb
- Collapse of roman empire
- 9/11
- Columbus finding america

But what I thought was the #1 event in history is something you dont hear much of. I think its martin luter posting the 95 theses agains the church. This started the decline of the death grip the catholic church had on the lives of everyone in europe.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
The day they invented vaginas..... and the day they invented steak is a close second.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Formation of the planet earth I think pretty much tops all of the above :)

CROWLER

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There isn't just one single most important event in history. There are however, many critical pivotal points in history that determined the course of history and resulting in where we are today.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Well in western/european history I can think of quite a few, and obviously there are thousands. Here are two that I consider important:

- Charles Martel and the Battle of Tours in 732. This event preserved our culture from muslim invasion, and saved us from becoming taken over from islamic invaders. If he would have lost, European and World history would have taken an entirely different course.

- The two world wars and the subsequent after effects.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The transistion from barter to indirect exchange, or the transition period that gave birth to money in other words. Biggest single collective event in the history of the world. Without it no modern economy is possible.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't Martin Luther violate the note on non-religios events?

And are we going for recorded history (verbal or written), geologic history etc.

My vote would be either the formation of the earth (mentioned above), the beginning of life forms on the Earth or the big bang or whatever wiped most life out beore all the ice ages etc.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The transistion from barter to indirect exchange, or the transition period that gave birth to money in other words. Biggest single collective event in the history of the world. Without it no modern economy is possible.
Great point, but I'm not sure if you could classify that as an "event" and if it would otherwise be summed up as a part of trade evolution...

Either way, I hadn't thought about that, but its 100% on :cheers:

Now, with that said, back to Sir. Isaac Newton :D

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Invention of the Guttenburg Press
Invention of the Plow

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Ahhhh, yes! The Guttenberg Press!

This essentially allowed technology and culture to boom at a radical rate. Great post! I think I've been outdone. Without that printing press Newton probably would not have been able to exercise his genious in a way that revolutionized the world.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly, I think it is the most important event, at least Sociologically as it marked the increasing movement from rurality to urbanized collective. And, as you stated was really the first "technological" advancement that literally changed the way the world operated.

Plow the same, the invention of the steam engine is often noted as the event that spurred the industrial revolution, but IMO it was the plow that preceeded it in this motion. It marked the ability of one farmer to do what 10 farmers would have done.

They both significantly altered the manner in which we as humans collected and interacted with eachother.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good Friday; the day Jesus Christ was crucified and put to death.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'd vote for Einstein's b-day over Newton's.

He changed the face of modern science.

A close second would be the advent of breast implants. :dance:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without gun powder, Captain Kirk would of never beat that space lizard. So everyone else's suggestions are by far inferior to mine.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I meant non religious as in things like the birth of christ dont count.
Yeah... Martin Luthers 95 Theses were much more a beginning to political makeover in Europe than a religious one (although the religious implications were huge, too).

papa G

Awards
The advancement of computer technology. Only time will tell if it works for us or against us.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The birth of Chuck Norris.

Although that has religious implications of it's own.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
*Albert Hoffman synthesized LSD and modern subculture was born!

*When the internet became the WWW combined with Windows95 led to e-commerce, online trading and billion dollar pump and dump scams, that are still shaping our future!

*August 20th 1965- a new rhino is born!

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
The birth of Chuck Norris.

Although that has religious implications of it's own.

NOTE: you must be, and i understand that most do, confusing this issue. The creation of exsistance was already brought up on this thread. The reality is that chuck norris has only farted once in his life, and it was the day he made himself. Philosophers ponder that the "let there be light" was and has been poor from its orginal translation.... after further review it seems that "let there be light" is really "pull my finger"...this act is what we now give thanks to when fathers everywhere tell their ignorant son or daughter to "pull his finger". It is much like the catholic "peace be with you"..... just.. this one caused the start of life.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
well....the birth of my gf... superoach AKA meangreen......awwww:chick: :thumbsup: :food:

size

Awards
  • Established
I'd put my vote on the invention of the birth control pill if it was gonna be sex oriented.
Here is an interesting economic study on the impact of the birth control pill. It is from the Journal of Political Economy. Link

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Here is an interesting economic study on the impact of the birth control pill. It is from the Journal of Political Economy. Link
That you know I'd be interested in such a study is a strong indicator that I need to get out more. Join a club or something.

size

Awards
  • Established
That you know I'd be interested in such a study is a strong indicator that I need to get out more. Join a club or something.
Well, I have read the study, instantly thought about it when I read your post, plus I have a copy somewhere, so maybe I need to get outside as well.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good Friday; the day Jesus Christ was crucified and put to death.
Ladies and Gents - I need to confess; despite it being very clearly stated as being non-religious events only - I skimmed the beginning post and missed that qualification.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
The emergence of Velcro upon the scene....

which would be 3rd in relation to my post (see #2)

:D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The day Dwight Clark made "The Catch" :D

In all seriousness, I'd like to mention the fall of the Soviet Union, I knew it was a huge day because my dad kept saying that we defeated the Soviet Union w/out a war. I guess you can argue whether or not we defeated them but this allowed us to become the world's super-power

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
*Albert Hoffman synthesized LSD and modern subculture was born!

*When the internet became the WWW combined with Windows95 led to e-commerce, online trading and billion dollar pump and dump scams, that are still shaping our future!

*August 20th 1965- a new rhino is born!
I will second choice #3 and add:

7/29/2004 - The First Sumatran Rhinoceros Born In Captivity Since 1880.

Birthday Party Held For 2-Year-Old Rare Rhino

The Sumatran Rhinoceros is the closest living decendant of the Wooly Rhino, who will some day soon make their triumphant return as the true overlords of mankind.

Other than that, Id say the most important even in Human History hasnt really happened yet, becaue we really havent been here that long if you think about it. Ill wager it will be in about 50 years or so, when we accidently engineer our evolutionary successors.

BV

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
...in about 20 years, nanobots will be able to enter your brain and stimulate your nuero-receptors. They will be able to create any scenario. You can experience what ever you wish, or what ever anyone else wishes....like The Matrix!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
23 years 4 months...We will find out the Matrix wasn't a movie but a preview of what our reality actually is.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
-23 years 4 months...We will find out the Matrix wasn't a movie but a preview of what our reality actually is.
:clap2:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
23 years 4 months...We will find out the Matrix wasn't a movie but a preview of what our reality actually is.
Your avitar is freaking me out. I don't know if I should smile back or run away!

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
As I stare at my computer terminal..

The Invention of the Transistor

-TT

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The day Cadbury figured out how to get the caramel inside the Caramilk bar...

Big Bang a close second.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
When Sknet took over and produced the T-101.. followed by the T-800 series and the T-850 series... paving the way for the T-1000 and then the TX.... finally ending in Skynet's crowning achievement..

The T-UBI

REFERENCE

:D

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As I just (and regrettably) found out yesterday, the most important event in history would have to be exactly one second prior to me following the suggestion of a joker I know who suggested that I "just had to" find a certain image from the so-called movie "A Night in China". I had no idea what it (the movie) was or what it (the certain image) would be (or even that it would even be possible for "it" to look like that or have "its" dimensions). Had I known then what I know now, I would never have "gone their". Worse, my joker pal even made it all the easier by sending me - his dumbfounded buddy - a link (please now imagine vomiting sounds).

I am now seriously considering thrusting tent stakes into my eyes as a means to get some relief. I am fearful that even such an extreme measure would not eradicate the image I fear is now forever burned into my retinas.

Spartan117

Awards
Fire, the wheel...those two moments in history are pretty monumental

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
I have two that havn't been mentioned:

1. The detination of the 1st atomic bomb and with it the realization that human beings had the power to wipe out all life on Earth in a single stroke as if it were the hand of God.

J. Robert Oppenheimer's words from that very day:

We knew the world could not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita: "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

2. The Moon landing -

- some people scoff at NASA and the space program - but think about it for a minute. In just a 66 year span in over 10,000 years of human history and evolution....we went from the Wright Brothers 1st powered flight a few feet off the ground to setting foot on the moon! Since the dawn of time mankind has dreamed of traveling into the heavens. Nothing less than a giant leap for all mankind!! The entire world watched as we took the next step in our evolution and expansion and in a sense, we reached out and got that much closer to touching the hand of God.

tomall2

Awards
The two I am certain of are: Gunpowder and the Printing Press. I believe the third is Currency but not positive. However, all three have had such an impact that if they never came about, we would not be where we are today as a people. Learnt this in the "pay for" school; US History 101.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
The invention of anticeptics

Think of how many people died due to uncleanlyness is the medical field beforeso...

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i'd have to say the most important event is the neolithic revolution. when man first discovered how to grow his own food. we stopped being hunter gatherers and settled down in one place. thats when the division of labor began as well. because of that revolution was the birth of government too.

a close second would be the day crowler released his cookies.