Hell yes, a politician with his own brain...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Big Oil has about as much to do with the price of gas as Big Bread has to do with the price of a loaf. Prices are determined on the market by consumers and sellers interacting. Generally speaking they are located at the lowest point in the flexible portion of the demand schedule that maximizes the difference between cost and total revenue. And if they are forced lower than the market price through government fiat a shortage is the inevitable result. And if the government through various idiotic laws turns the good into one which has an inflexible demand then the price will go up. Doing things like having ridiculous regional variances imposed through law for example. As for this congressman, to give a short detail to one of his ideas charging royalty fees to oil companies will increase their cost and consequently drive up the price or lead to less production and competition overall. That's about as smart as whacking off with steel wool, why he would support that on the surface is beyond me.

See all those cars lined up to get that gas? If every filling station in the country lowered prices that's what would happen everywhere and we'd end up with no frigging gas. Just like if we have a blackout during a heatwave if you don't let the prices of ice rise to meet the increased demand the first lucky group of people who get to the store will buy it all up at the old low price and use it all for themselves, to keep themselves cool, to cool their coke, to cool their beer and food and keep their meat from spoiling. Whereas if the prices go up to 5 dollars a bag instead of a buck, people will be less likely to buy it all up and use it for less economical purposes. So instead of buying ten bags of ice and throwing the entire contents of their fridge in the tub with the ice to keep it cool people would be much more likely to buy fewer bags and use them for more critical purposes. Such as buying one, or buying it on an as needed basis just to keep their meat and milk cool. Hey presto, the market in action! Automatic rationing through rational decision making! And we didn't even need the government or a moronic politician from North Carolina to tell us how to do it...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, definitely a gimmick to get votes, but done in a very effective way that will put a smile on every working man's (and woman's) face.

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
See all those cars lined up to get that gas? If every filling station in the country lowered prices that's what would happen everywhere and we'd end up with no frigging gas. Just like if we have a blackout during a heatwave if you don't let the prices of ice rise to meet the increased demand the first lucky group of people who get to the store will buy it all up at the old low price and use it all for themselves, to keep themselves cool, to cool their coke, to cool their beer and food and keep their meat from spoiling. Whereas if the prices go up to 5 dollars a bag instead of a buck, people will be less likely to buy it all up and use it for less economical purposes. So instead of buying ten bags of ice and throwing the entire contents of their fridge in the tub with the ice to keep it cool people would be much more likely to buy fewer bags and use them for more critical purposes. Such as buying one, or buying it on an as needed basis just to keep their meat and milk cool. Hey presto, the market in action! Automatic rationing through rational decision making! And we didn't even need the government or a moronic politician from North Carolina to tell us how to do it...
Still, he'll get mad votes for doing what he's doing.

Automatic rationing through rational decision making! And we didn't even need the government or a moronic politician from North Carolina to tell us how to do it...
Partially agree CDB, but most of the American public can't make rational decisions for themselves. Or, at least the government and a bunch of PTA groups think they can't. Kevin Federline is headlining the teen choice awards for christs sake.:)

BV

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Political gimmickry. No substance what so ever. I like to see how the guy can lower gas prices for real.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well one thing I wouldnt be doing is waiting in line in the NC heat to save $14 and be late for work. Thats just astinine. Still, its a cool idea I think. Better than getting on TV and slanderizing your opponent, or holding a speech that only your staunch supporters attend. He's touching base with a lot of people who probably wouldnt have even voted without seeing this 'stunt'

BV

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
God save the republic if a con artist like that is the hope of salvation for this democracy. He is a con artist, b/c he is practically lying to the voters.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
I dont care if its Osama!!! 1.22 for gas and he's got my vote.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
God save the republic if a con artist like that is the hope of salvation for this democracy. He is a con artist, b/c he is practically lying to the voters.
So then all our politicians are con artists to one degree or another. At least he's saving people a couple bucks while he's at it, if even for a day.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who am I to criticize? I have sold my soul for a lot less...:D

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Still, he'll get mad votes for doing what he's doing.
That's the problem, people are stupid enough to vote for him for doing something stupid. Might as well give away half price Big Macs.

Partially agree CDB, but most of the American public can't make rational decisions for themselves. Or, at least the government and a bunch of PTA groups think they can't. Kevin Federline is headlining the teen choice awards for christs sake.:)
BV
A rational decision in economics is simply a purposeful action. Rain dancing is a rational decision because it has purpose, even though most people would consider it irrational in the colloquial sense. People need to seriously realize that they play a key role in setting prices and if they want them to go down they will either use less gasoline or get the government to remove some of the pretty massive impediments making the demand for gas inflexible. When you do the latter the price will go up, prices never fall in the inflexible range of the demand schedule because consumers are not responsive to price changes in that range. If a company can cut their costs by cutting back on production and raise prices not take a massive hit in total revenue or profit they will, it's what companies do every day on the market and it's predictable. You want to lower costs, you get the government out of the industry so it stops crippling competition, get them out of the industry so they stop increasing regulations making gas as a good less and less interchangable, because the more alternative brands the more flexible the industry demand and the lower the price. Even if some mad CEO took over Pepridge Farm and decided their bread should sell for a $100 a loaf the market wouldn't support that move because the alternatives available make such a price hike impossible to sustain, and puts to rest the idea that CEOs just 'set' prices as they feel for whatever assumed benign or evil reasons. And lastly, you get the government out of the business of restricting supply by stopping exploration and drilling. More supply, lower prices.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Pop Pop Pop Pop Papazaoo

sorry i don't know the words if they are wrong.. KFED 4-Life!

ps... i would like to take the blame for the gas problem here in America. I went to china and India and started to tell them about how we do things... sorry... but in a real topic.. i have done this and so can you.. you can buy your own gas and store it it at gas stations... you get a pin and then when you go to a station.. you log it in and blamo you don't pay what the pump says. Together my brother and I have 300gal saved at 99cents a gal. Its a locked in price.. check to see if it i avalible in your area.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Vote for me! Whey protein will be price controlled at 50 cents a pound!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
A rational decision in economics is simply a purposeful action. Rain dancing is a rational decision because it has purpose, even though most people would consider it irrational in the colloquial sense. People need to seriously realize that they play a key role in setting prices and if they want them to go down they will either use less gasoline or get the government to remove some of the pretty massive impediments making the demand for gas inflexible. When you do the latter the price will go up, prices never fall in the inflexible range of the demand schedule because consumers are not responsive to price changes in that range. If a company can cut their costs by cutting back on production and raise prices not take a massive hit in total revenue or profit they will, it's what companies do every day on the market and it's predictable. You want to lower costs, you get the government out of the industry so it stops crippling competition, get them out of the industry so they stop increasing regulations making gas as a good less and less interchangable, because the more alternative brands the more flexible the industry demand and the lower the price. Even if some mad CEO took over Pepridge Farm and decided their bread should sell for a $100 a loaf the market wouldn't support that move because the alternatives available make such a price hike impossible to sustain, and puts to rest the idea that CEOs just 'set' prices as they feel for whatever assumed benign or evil reasons. And lastly, you get the government out of the business of restricting supply by stopping exploration and drilling. More supply, lower prices.
How do you go about doing this Maynard?

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oil prices practically tripled from $25 to $75 approximately. If you check the statistics, US production+import and consumption has hardly changed much at all, let along tripling.

I don't think the domestic supply demand situation is the cause of oil price spike from $25 to almost $75.

I think somebody may have been chasing the wrong goose... :lol:

Where are the conspiracy theorists when you need them? :lol:

In all seriousness, high oil price is a good thing. It will reduce consumption, provide incentive to invest and develop alternative energy sources. None of that would be feasible if oil price is low. High gas prices will bite deeper and deeper and soon, people will get fed up with this. If we get low oil prices again, then it would all be for naught and we'll be right back to our wasteful consumption way.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Too bad his brain happens to be stuffed up his ass.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CDB again.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, high oil price is a good thing. It will reduce consumption, provide incentive to invest and develop alternative energy sources. None of that would be feasible if oil price is low. High gas prices will bite deeper and deeper and soon, people will get fed up with this. If we get low oil prices again, then it would all be for naught and we'll be right back to our wasteful consumption way.
+1, I welcome the high price of fuel as well for these reasons. I just hope it doesnt sky rocket until I can get my biodiesel car running and build a solar powered house;)

From watching the video, I didnt get that he was promising to artificially lower gas prices - only that he'd see to it that the consumer was treated fairly. His stunt was a creative way to reach voters, not a false promise of unachievable fuel prices.

I know that you shouldnt 'have' to pull a stunt like this to get people to vote, but if you look at the percentage of people who do vote in America, the current method of slanderous TV ads and relentless jawboning sure isnt working.

BV

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
...he'd see to it that the consumer was treated fairly.
That's code for more regulations to screw oil companies, the end result of which will be higher prices even if he manages to lower them temporarily.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
This just further shows me how stupid the general public is...