CIA Reportedly Disbands Bin Laden Unit

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
CIA Reportedly Disbands Bin Laden Unit

The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 4, 2006; 11:19 AM

NEW YORK -- A CIA unit that had hunted for Osama bin Laden and his top deputies for a decade has been disbanded, according to a published report.

Citing unnamed intelligence officials, The New York Times reported Tuesday that the unit, known as "Alec Station," was shut down late last year. The decision to close the unit, which predated the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, was first reported Monday by National Public Radio.

The officials told the Times that the change reflects a view that al-Qaida's hierarchy has changed, and terrorist attacks inspired by the group are now being carried out independently of bin Laden and his second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri.

The CIA said hunting bin Laden remains a priority, but resources needed to be directed toward other people and groups likely to initiate new attacks.

"The efforts to find Osama bin Laden are as strong as ever," said CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Millerwise Dyck. "This is an agile agency, and the decision was made to ensure greater reach and focus."

A former CIA official who once led the unit, Michael Scheuer, told the Times that its shutdown was a mistake.

"This will clearly denigrate our operations against al-Qaida," he said. "These days at the agency, bin Laden and al-Qaida appear to be treated merely as first among equals."

washingtonpost.com

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
good.. they didn't do very well lol

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When Zarqawi was dispatced to hell, the lefties were bellyaching that he was just one man and not at all important, yadayadayada, basically betraying their total ignorance of both the military facts and political implications associated with Zarqawi's one way trip to hell.

Now that the CIA reorganzied the team going after Bin Laden, the lefties are talking from the other side of their mouths. lol

How predictable! The left wing extremists are so anti USA that they are just like those chronic complainers who just complain about everything and anything. Whatever it is, they are against it. :D :D :D

when we washed our hands of the Afghan civil war, the leftie chronic whiners, whine about we abandoning the Afghans. Now they want us to abandon the Iraqis. When we leave Iraq, they will whine about us abandoning the Iraqis. :lol: :lol:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
How predictable! The left wing extremists are so anti USA that they are just like those chronic complainers who just complain about everything and anything. Whatever it is, they are against it.
My views tend to be more left-leaning in most respects, but I have to agree with BioHazzard here about how absurd the left wing extreemists sound these days. Even though I dont like Bush or think we should have gone into Iraq - we're in it up to our ballsacks now. As an American, I want to see our country come out ahead and the be prosperous - pulling out now and washing our hands of it would be detrimental. Best to finish the job right...the US Government has caused so much turmoil and death in that region that we'd better be there shaking hands and kissing babies when peace is finally achieved.

Of course, the way I see it that's generations away...

BV

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Dont' lie to yourself BV, you're not "left-leaning". You're just a good 'ole libertarian :)

Its true, the lefties do whine about everything and anything. First we were being too hard on Iraq, then we're too soft on Korea. Stay in afghanistan, but leave Iraq, blah, blah, blah.

The republicans aren't much better, just different. They legislate from the "good book" and are now more obsessed with making people happy than doing what their party "supposedly" stands for.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the operative word is 'extremists'. While the left wing extremists are despicable, the right wing extremists are not that far behind, in terms of sheer stupidity and brutality. (The stem cell research funding veto.. yeah that was a good one. :rolleyes: Nothing is more fun than shooting yourself in the foot... :rolleyes: )

No one in his/her right mind should have much objection to the ideals represented by progressivism as well as conservatism. There are merits in both camps. It is at the extreme ends where we find sheer stupidity and brutality in grand scale.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I think the operative word is 'extremists'. While the left wing extremists are despicable, the right wing extremists are not that far behind, in terms of sheer stupidity and brutality. (The stem cell research funding veto.. yeah that was a good one. :rolleyes: Nothing is more fun than shooting yourself in the foot... :rolleyes: )

No one in his/her right mind should have much objection to the ideals represented by progressivism as well as conservatism. There are merits in both camps. It is at the extreme ends where we find sheer stupidity and brutality in grand scale.
I think I'm going to cry seeing you be all reasonable and such. :jaw:

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established

while I agree on the idea that is probably not the best of examples to use, there is no shortage of people willing to fund stem cell research, its not like the research will be hampered in any way. what the goverment was going to spend is nothing compared to what the privite sector is going to. But most goverment "research spending" is for special interest anyways, The amount of money they waste is unreal. (I have had a little first hand with some of this). If they want to put us deeper in debt there is a lot better things they could spend the money on.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I'm going to cry seeing you be all reasonable and such. :jaw:
To know me, is to love me. :D (Who the heck said that? Forgotten his name...)

But seriously, it may be a surprise to many, I am no partisan ideologue. I am just a regular pro law and order, patriotic joe nobody.... :)