Fvking Azzholes!!!!

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I think anyone that argues a minimum pay raise increase is a bad idea is an idiot. So I am with you on that.

But inregards to the 170k they make each year, it's not that much when you think about it. Do I think it's fair that they have gotten pay raises and the minimum wage has stayed the same no, of course not!

But consider these facts:

They are required to make large known charitable contributions.

They don't have an expense account to fly family out to see them.

The essentially have to have two houses, DC and home state.

And... not every Congressman gets free rides on the Corporate Walmart jet...

The info above was read in the book "Green With Envy: Why keeping up with the Joneses is keeping us in debt"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446578355/102-5782086-8046565?v=glance&n=283155]Amazon.com: Green with Envy : Why Keeping Up with the Joneses Is Keeping Us in Debt: Books: Shira Boss[/ame]

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
They are required to make large known charitable contributions.
Im sure part of that is made up for by whatever 'campaign contributions they're getting from the special interest groups they work with. They also get to write that off on taxes, Im sure.

They don't have an expense account to fly family out to see them.
Neither do I.

The essentially have to have two houses, DC and home state.
Awwww, poor congressmen. Two houses, what a travesty. Ill take a moment to feel sorry for them while I pay the rent on my 2-bedroom apartment.

And... not every Congressman gets free rides on the Corporate Walmart jet...
Pay me $170,000 a year and Ill give them all free rides in my 95 Honda.

Just breakin' balls JonsersRX7, I understand the point you're making. I still think they make way too much money for the level of results they're giving to the American people.

BV

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
we have to do better on regulating the value of our dollar before we can start handing out more of them.. i think in a short term to keep the national payment the same is in the best interest of our own economy.. which at the current wage is booming... i have always been in favor for having our money backed by a pressious metal again... gold, silver etc..

but yes.. i agree our government officals should not make more money.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I think congress should take their money from our HORRIBLE senate :)

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It cuts both ways. On one hand I tend to agree that the taxpayers are not getting their money's worth in the politicians we have. OTOH, if you can make 250k in the private sector, would you convince your family that it is better off for them that you take a pay cut to serve in Congress? The net result is, only rich people would serve in Congress while the best and brightest work in the private sector. Do we want a Congress where only the rich would occupy?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It cuts both ways. On one hand I tend to agree that the taxpayers are not getting their money's worth in the politicians we have. OTOH, if you can make 250k in the private sector, would you convince your family that it is better off for them that you take a pay cut to serve in Congress? The net result is, only rich people would serve in Congress while the best and brightest work in the private sector. Do we want a Congress where only the rich would occupy?
Isnt that what we already have?

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
we do for the senate but congress is a little bit .. well .. much more realistic in its economic make up

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
How about this proposition. Congressmen will be paid 20K above what the average American salary is. Maybe that will motivate their sorry aszes to do something about the working class.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How about this proposition. Congressmen will be paid 20K above what the average American salary is. Maybe that will motivate their sorry aszes to do something about the working class.
What makes you think that would have any effect on the Kennedys, the Rockefellers, the Kellys et al?

Even if you pay them zero, it is not going to have one iota of impact on them.

Their great wealth insulates them from any pressure. :)

It isn't the pay that corrupt the political system. While not the only cause, the lack of term limit is one of the main reasons we have deadwood in our political system. We have all these career politicians who have turned into dinosaurs, and are out of touch with the common people. The power of incumbancy cuts both ways. On one hand, it benefits the good politicians, which is desirable. OTOH, it also benefits the deadwood, which sucks rock.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
What makes you think that would have any effect on the Kennedys, the Rockefellers, the Kellys et al?

Even if you pay them zero, it is not going to have one iota of impact on them.

Their great wealth insulates them from any pressure. :)

It isn't the pay that corrupt the political system. While not the only cause, the lack of term limit is one of the main reasons we have deadwood in our political system. We have all these career politicians who have turned into dinosaurs, and are out of touch with the common people. The power of incumbancy cuts both ways. On one hand, it benefits the good politicians, which is desirable. OTOH, it also benefits the deadwood, which sucks rock.
That's a good point and I would say the only way to prevent this is by not allowing anyone with colossal wealth to become a politician, which probably sounds stupid and would never work.

BTW, if I were as rich as the Kennedy's I would just live it up big and not worry about politics LOL

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
May be we can educate the voters to only elect those who have actually worked in real jobs for a living.

Then they would actually know what the real issues in life are.

If people have worked at Mc**** for $5.50, and have to pay taxes out of that, may be they would know better about improving living standard of the lower rung of the society. If people have worked as policemen or policewomen, then they would know better about the plaque of hard drugs. If people have actually gone off to war, then they would know better about what the troops need. If people would only....blahblahblah.. :D

What is obscene is political hacks and pseudo intellects pretending that they know when they don't have a freaking clue.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What is obscene is political hacks and pseudo intellects pretending that they know when they don't have a freaking clue.
And that seems to describe the majority of the people who are running our country...

BV

PastorofMuppets

Awards
Don't forget the sweetest part of the deal.

You are elected for a few years and when you get the boot from your constituents they still have to pay your pension and benefits.

Get elected a couple times and bingo lifelong awesome benefits after age fifty...pretty good deal.

The backend deals, insider trading, and eventual pickup by political lobby groups/corporations it makes it easy to realize why someone would want to be a politician.

Congressional Retirement Benefits-Too Generous?