American Deaths in Iraq Reach 2,500 Mark

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
American Deaths in Iraq Reach 2,500 Mark
By LOLITA C. BALDOR

WASHINGTON (AP) - American deaths since the invasion of Iraq have reached 2,500, marking a grim milestone in the wake of recent events that President Bush hopes will reverse the war's unpopularity at home.

The latest death was announced as Congress was launching a symbolic election-year debate over the war, with Republicans rallying against calls by some Democrats to set a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops.

The Pentagon provided no details on the nature of the 2,500th death. Nevertheless, reaching the new marker underscored the continuing violence in Iraq just after an upbeat Bush returned from a surprise visit to Baghdad determined that the tide was beginning to turn.

``It's a number,'' White House press secretary Tony Snow told reporters at the White House.

``Any president who goes through a time of war feels very deeply the responsibility for sending men and women into harm's way, feels very deeply the pain that the families feel. This president is no different,'' he said.

``It's always a sad benchmark, and one of the things the president has said is that these people will not die in vain,'' Snow added. `` ... You've got a government now that can help ensure that that is not the case.''

The Pentagon releases new casualty figures daily with no fanfare - and scant detail - as defense officials have said that no one death should be highlighted since all losses are equally tragic.

Some members of Congress have been calling for a timetable for the eventual withdrawal of troops from Iraq, of which there are about 127,000.

The United States invaded Iraq in March 2003, in an effort to depose dictator Saddam Hussein, amid now debunked allegations that he had weapons of mass destruction.

According to the Pentagon totals, there have been 1,972 service members killed in action in Iraq, and another 528 died from other non-hostile causes. There also have been 18,490 troops wounded in action, including 8,501 who did not return to duty.

According to some estimates, about 4,800 Iraqi police and security forces have died during the war, and at least 30,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed.

Bush has dismissed calls for a U.S. withdrawal as election-year politics and has consistently refused to give a timetable or benchmark for success that would allow troops to come home.

Bush's visit sought to capitalize on the death of Iraq's most feared terrorist, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a key victory for the U.S. military, as well as recent progress in setting up the new Iraqi government. Bush met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who has been struggling to establish his new fledgling democracy and restore order to the capital city, which has seen increased insurgent attacks.

With few signs the insurgency is abating, Maliki has launched new security crackdown with tens of thousands of Iraqi troops fanning out across the city in an effort to end the violence that has devastated the capital. Maliki has also vowed to begin talks with some insurgents as part of a national reconciliation initiative aimed at smoothing relations between the various sectarian groups.

Maliki is also struggling to rebuild a country battered by war, struggling to restore electricity, revive shattered communities and bring back government services - from oil production to schools.

Speaking to Pentagon reporters Wednesday, Army Brig. Gen. Carter Ham said it's more important to focus on the individuals lost than on any aggregate number.

``I don't know that there's ever a way that you can adequately thank a family for the sacrifice that they make in the loss of a loved one,'' said Ham, deputy operations chief for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. ``Yet it's important to remember that there is -- there is a mission and there is a greater good which sometimes necessitates tremendous sacrifice.''

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
OK. I have to comment on this.. tried not to but.. lol

Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! How many did he say, 2,500? He said it, what? Once, twice, three times. Did everybody hear that: 2,500! I just want to make sure you all get that. This is the point they are trying to make, and I want to help out too, 2,500 killed in action, 2,500 in three years. We had 17,000 murders last year, in this country. Twenty-five hundred. This is a record for fewest casualties in a major war that the United States has conducted, but 2,500, this is the benchmark. This is how they measure. Okay...

You are safer in a uniform in Iraq than a baby in a womb of an American woman at a Planned Parenthood office.:hammer:

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established

Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! How many did he say, 2,500? He said it, what? Once, twice, three times. Did everybody hear that: 2,500! I just want to make sure you all get that. This is the point they are trying to make, and I want to help out too, 2,500 killed in action, 2,500 in three years. We had 17,000 murders last year, in this country. Twenty-five hundred. This is a record for fewest casualties in a major war that the United States has conducted, but 2,500, this is the benchmark. This is how they measure. Okay...

You are safer in a uniform in Iraq than a baby in a womb of an American woman at a Planned Parenthood office.:hammer:
I agree.

ftballskolar

Awards
every life is prescious and important, 1 dead is too many in my eyes. and as someone who lost a great friend to the war less than a year ago i will say that 2500 is a very low number!! and is just an example of how successful we have been. semper fi!!

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards

People forget that part about how many murders we have a year. One of my business partners is a Police Officer that was hit in an APC by an IED while deployed to Iraq. His life will never be the same. He can't return to the PD and will get an Army retirement. He still is a strong supporter of our military and the mission. I think it becomes easy in a sterol environment to judge how we are conducting business over there. Personally I would like to see our troops come home but at the same time I don’t want to send the message that we turn and run when the going gets tough.

Either way it’s a bad situation but all wars are.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What I find disturbing is the way we act as if the war(s) aren't even going on. Most people never even think about it. We as a nation have put more than 100,000 people into harms way in Afghanistan and Iraq and we act as if it's just a tv show we can turn off when it gets depressing. Even the most jingoistic person doesn't usually think about it except when they buy a magnetic yellow ribbon to put on their car.

I live near several bases so I'm reminded all the time. Not long ago I was on the freeway with a column of Stryker vehicles heading for port where they were going to be put on ships for deployment.

It just seems to me that we owe it to the troops to be AWARE that we've sent them there. We shouldn't just put it in the back of our minds IMHO.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
every life is prescious and important, 1 dead is too many in my eyes. and as someone who lost a great friend to the war less than a year ago i will say that 2500 is a very low number!! and is just an example of how successful we have been. semper fi!!
Exactly!!!

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
You are absolutely right. I have a small Military Supply business. I have a policy that each customer is thought of as a friend. As much as I suffer financially I have nearly gone bankrupt handing our gear at reduced rates for our troops. I am in dept right now around 9 big ones but that’s better then the 17 I started the year with. I have had to curtail the huge discount but still feel the need to help.

As I sit watching TV with my daughter I have to remind myself that we have Marines and Soldiers over there who can’t. God Bless them.

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
We appreciate the kinds words and thoughts. I am currently over here now. This is my 3rd tour and I am for one ready to get home.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
We appreciate the kinds words and thoughts. I am currently over here now. This is my 3rd tour and I am for one ready to get home.
Stay safe. We think about you and support you (even if we disagree with the policy decisions that sent you there). You are there is my name and I make a point of thinking about that and explaining it to my children every day.

ftballskolar

Awards
may god bless all of you and bring you home safely, semper fi!!