Tom Clancy, General Zinni and the Neocons

INFOHAZARD

Awards
This is a bit older, but extremely revealing.

Anyone who's read a Clancy novel knows he's no dove. And retired Marine General Anthony Zinni ain't exactly a wimp. Why are they angry?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5053682/

[Clancy]almost “came to blows� with a leading war supporter, former Pentagon adviser Richard Perle....
In discussing the Iraq war, both Clancy and Zinni singled out the Department of Defense for criticism. Clancy recalled a prewar encounter in Washington during which he “almost came to blows� with Richard Perle, a Pentagon adviser at the time and a longtime advocate of the invasion.

“He was saying how (Secretary of State) Colin Powell was being a wuss because he was overly concerned with the lives of the troops,� Clancy said. “And I said, ‘Look ..., he’s supposed to think that way!’ And Perle didn’t agree with me on that. People like that worry me.�

Remember, this administration uses you and after you sacrifice, they laugh behind your back.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
The Clinton admin. did the same thing. It's in Powells book when he was Head of JCS. M. Albright asked him "what good is a military if you don't use it." And this was in regards to Hati, I think.

And second Powell wrote that he saw a staffer stick her nose up and tell General Barry McCafferty that "we don't like your kind around here."

So the Clinton White House was just as bad (if not worse). Ask ANY former SS Agent and during the Clinton Admin they had the largest mass exodus of agents leave the service.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
It is a common theme for people that have not served in the Armed Forces to dismiss the lives of the people that do serve, with comments like the ones above.. Info you know that as well as I do..

INFOHAZARD

Awards
It is a common theme for people that have not served in the Armed Forces to dismiss the lives of the people that do serve, with comments like the ones above.. Info you know that as well as I do..
People who haven't seen the costs do like to play army with other people's lives. Yes there is a place for the military- a critical one. I'm just sorry that we haven't seen true greatness from a leader in quite a while in how it's used.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I think that we are going to have to go through a major awakening as a nation before the great leaders of old return to the forefront.
But even some of the good leaders of WWII were true bastards to work for.. Patton comes to mind.. but that was the exception to the rule I think...

INFOHAZARD

Awards
The Clinton admin. did the same thing. It's in Powells book when he was Head of JCS. M. Albright asked him "what good is a military if you don't use it." And this was in regards to Hati, I think.

And second Powell wrote that he saw a staffer stick her nose up and tell General Barry McCafferty that "we don't like your kind around here."

So the Clinton White House was just as bad (if not worse). Ask ANY former SS Agent and during the Clinton Admin they had the largest mass exodus of agents leave the service.
I'm not sure I follow. What's the name of the book? What was the context of the McCaffery remark. As I recall, he was mostly the (civillian post) Drug Czar under Clinton. I find him odious myself, but context is everything.

And sorry, don't know any Secret Service folks. I know some people in various intelligence agencies. They thought Clinton was bad until they had to deal with Bush. (Clinton did not like to receive daily intel briefings in person, prefering to read them- this is apparently unprecidented, and they were upset. Bush- he just raped them and then bamed them.) Now the intel folks I know are voting Dem, even if they are GOP leaning and/or registered.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I follow. What's the name of the book? What was the context of the McCaffery remark. As I recall, he was mostly the (civillian post) Drug Czar under Clinton. I find him odious myself, but context is everything.

And sorry, don't know any Secret Service folks. I know some people in various intelligence agencies. They thought Clinton was bad until they had to deal with Bush. (Clinton did not like to receive daily intel briefings in person, prefering to read them- this is apparently unprecidented, and they were upset. Bush- he just raped them and then bamed them.) Now the intel folks I know are voting Dem, even if they are GOP leaning and/or registered.
It was Powell's bio. And I forgot the exact context (it has been about 2.5 years since I read it). But Barry Mac was a highly decorated Vietnam vet and Powell saw a Jr. staffer treat him with total lack of respect (he was in uniform I believe) when he asked her for directions. He never came out and said that Clinton himself was a bad Commander and Chief, but he sites numerous examples of people around the Prez. as having a healthy disregard for the men and women in uniform.

As for my point. You can say the Bush White House has no respect for the uniform. Fine. But I know a high percentage of the military voted for Bush. And do not think for a minuite that the Democrat Saint Bill and his cronies where any better to our troops.