Colin Powell: Insurgents are Winning

INFOHAZARD

Awards
Tomorrow's Newsweek:

But the truth is, neither party is fully reckoning with the reality of Iraq—which is that the insurgents, by most accounts, are winning. Even Secretary of State Colin Powell, a former general who stays in touch with the Joint Chiefs, has acknowledged this privately to friends in recent weeks, NEWSWEEK has learned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6370525/site/newsweek/

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I think you are cherry picking an unverifiable editorial opinion from that article.

I think that we can all agree with this statement though.
"The initiative is in [the insurgents'] hands right now. This approach of being lenient and accommodating has really backfired. They see this as weakness."

From http://www.adventuresofchester.blogspot.com, authored by a Marine veteran of Iraq
1st Marines is a brigade-sized force of about 3 thousand men and the other units are of the same size, all part of the First Marine Division. Chester's exposition above reveals a great deal about the nature of the conflict the US is facing in Iraq. The deployments suggest that Syria is the operational rear of the insurgents in the Sunni Triangle, which is why 7th Marines has been positioned to interdict the infiltration flow. The infiltration trickle finds its way to various sumps, or collection areas, where they are concentrated, tasked and launched out on attacks. Ramadi and Fallujah are probably typical of these. As Chester pointed out, they serve as command and control and probably training bases.
1st Marines will be supported by attachments, such as a logistics group and both aerial and artillery fires. The Iraqi component may consist of a slightly smaller force. The possible ground force deployed against Fallujah will be on the order of 5,000 men of whom about 3 thousand will be American. A glance at a large scale map (courtesy of Global Security) will give the reader a feel for the terrain.
The enemy has attempted a spoiling attack on a convoy of Marines, possibly a support unit, was hit as it made its way to Fallujah's outskirts today. Eight Marines were killed and the Iraqi troops accompanying them returned fire which may have killed 14 civilians in vehicles on the highway. The pre-battle maneuver may have started in earnest.
On Saturday, insurgents fired mortars at Marine positions outside Fallujah. U.S. troops responded with "the strongest artillery barrage in recent weeks," according to Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Lyle Gilbert. Later in the afternoon, a Marine Harrier jet bombed a guerrilla mortar position inside Fallujah, then strafed it with machine-gun fire, Gilbert said. He had no reports of insurgent casualties. Crowds of Iraqis peered skyward as a pair of warplanes circled over the rebel-held city, where large explosions rumbled Saturday afternoon. Insurgents fired rockets and mortars toward U.S. Marine positions.
Fallujah watchers will have noticed that the Marines are closing out a last round of negotiations for surrender while they have been progressively shutting down insurgent checkpoints within the city by hitting them with smart munitions. My own speculation is that the negotiations were launched, not in the expectation of getting Zarqawi to lay down his arms, but in order to negotiate a separate peace with the different factions in town. The impending assault has been used as a negotiating lever to create gaps in the enemy ranks. This process is calculated to blind the enemy by shutting down his pickets and poison his intelligence channels -- not to mention introducing mutual suspicion and internecine fighting.
The main event next week will doubtless be the Presidential elections but for Marines in Anbar, their minds may will be on matters closer at hand.
Let hope we raze this city once and for all, it is really passed the point of fvcking around with these asshats.

Oh yeah, if you want to know how iraqi feel about our situation there are some great blogs written by people who live there and they have english versions of their blogs
Hammorabi
Healing Iraq
Iraq & Iraqis
Iraq at a Glance
Iraq the Model
The Mesopotamian
News from Baghdad

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i like colin powell less and less every day. he has been really saying some stupid **** lateley. i dont think he will be in a 2nd bush term if/when he wins.

INFOHAZARD

Awards
I think you are cherry picking an unverifiable editorial opinion from that article.
Moi?!?. Surely you jest!

I look at it this way, on the eve of an election, he's be loudly denying it or he won't by 8:10 AM tomorrow.

I think that we can all agree with this statement though.
"The initiative is in [the insurgents'] hands right now. This approach of being lenient and accommodating has really backfired. They see this as weakness."
I see it a little differently. They didn't see lieniency as weakness; they saw WEAKNESS as weakness! We simply don't have the troops on the ground to keep the peace. Lienency, my ass.

Let hope we raze this city once and for all, it is really passed the point of fvcking around with these asshats.
That's a good idea, let's unleash a reign of terror on them until they learn to love us and appreciate the freedom we bring.
What on earth are we becoming?

Oh yeah, if you want to know how iraqi feel about our situation there are some great blogs written by people who live there and they have english versions of their blogs
Hammorabi
Healing Iraq
Iraq & Iraqis
Iraq at a Glance
Iraq the Model
The Mesopotamian
News from Baghdad
While it is clear to me that many of the Iraqis on the ground appreciate getting Saddam out of their lives, and do, in fact have a positive view of us, polls over there are showing that support eroding.
One other thought- have you accounted for how many of those blogs are, in fact, U.S. Intelligence black propaganda (psyops) sites? It's not whether, it's how many.

Here's one, however, with a different perspective:
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I see it a little differently. They didn't see lieniency as weakness; they saw WEAKNESS as weakness! We simply don't have the troops on the ground to keep the peace. Lienency, my ass.
Whoa, weakness as weakness, I think not. The US hasn't suffered a military defeat in a LOOOONG time. We have a habit of winning battles and losing wars based on political pressure. We could have taken care of the insurgents in Falluja months ago, Sadr wouldn't have been a problem, if we would let the millitary handle the situation.

I don't see your solution to the problem, on the one hand you don't like that there is a nest of foreign and old batthist insurgence causing havoc, but you squak at the idea of crushing them with millitary might (with or without Clinton's military :think: )

EDIT: If it's Clinton's millitary (I think you meant to say it was Reagan's ...), then wasn't it also Clintons reccession :thumbsup:

So you got 1 anti american iraqi blog ( I am assuming they are iraqi, there is no arabic portion to their blog ) and I listed 6 or 7. Looks like a landslide ;)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 2
Supplements 6
berazzled Supplements 14
Auslifter Supplements 109
QuinoaSucks Supplements 23