Intel: 25 Chechen Terrorists Entered U.S. Via Mexico

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Chechen terrorists probed

By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

U.S. security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.
The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.
Members of the group, said to be wearing backpacks, secretly traveled to northern Mexico and crossed into a mountainous part of Arizona that is difficult for U.S. border security agents to monitor, said officials speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The intelligence report was supplied to the U.S. government in late August or early September and was based on information from an intelligence source that has been proved reliable in other instances, one official said.
A second U.S. official said the report is being investigated, but said it could not be determined whether the group of Chechens actually entered the country, as the intelligence source reported.
"We don't know whether or not that report is true," this official said.
A spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection confirmed that the intelligence report was provided by another government agency, but said Border Patrol agents were unable to verify its accuracy.
It could not be learned whether the reported infiltration is related to the recent Education Department warning to school officials to examine security in the aftermath of the attack last month by pro-Chechnya Muslim terrorists on a school in Russia, in which more than 300 people were killed and some 700 wounded.
In the Russian attack, heavily armed Islamists took over and wired with explosives the school building in Beslan, North Ossetia. It is believed that an accidental explosion set off a battle between Russian security personnel and the terrorists, who set off several explosions and shot schoolchildren and teachers as they tried to escape.
U.S. officials believe the Beslan terrorists included some al Qaeda-linked foreign terrorists.
The Education Department letter said that school officials should examine "protective measure guidance" for helping to prevent and respond to a similar terrorist attack, were it to occur in the United States.
The notice said the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are "currently unaware of any specific, credible information indicating a terrorist threat to public and private schools, universities or colleges in the United States."
The letter stated that indicators of terrorist surveillance before an attack include interest in site plans for schools, bus routes and attendance lists from persons who don't normally request such information.
Authorities also were advised to remain alert for "static surveillance" by people who may be disguised as panhandlers, shoeshiners, newspaper or flower vendors, or street sweepers who seem out of place in a particular area.
Other indicators of terrorist surveillance can include spying on school security drills, people staring at employees or vehicles in parking areas, and surveillance by pedestrians.
Fears of an attack on American schools also were raised by the recent discovery in Iraq of a computer disk containing data showing the layout of six schools in the United States, including districts in California, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey and Oregon.
Officials believed the disk may have been part of a terrorist plot. However, FBI officials said on Friday that there did not appear to be a terrorist threat connected to the computer disk.
The Iraqi who had the disk, a member of Saddam Hussein's Ba'ath Party, apparently was collecting information from the Internet sites of American schools that would be useful for emergency planning for Iraqi schools, U.S. officials said.
U.S. security officials have been concerned in recent months that al Qaeda or other terrorists are planning to enter the United States from Mexico.
Intelligence officials said a suspected al Qaeda leader who has been in the United States was spotted recently in Mexico. Officials believe Adnan Shukrijumah, whom the FBI wants for questioning, met with alien smugglers in Mexico and Honduras and was seeking ways to bring al Qaeda members into the United States. Shukrijumah was seen in August in the Sonora province of northern Mexico, officials said.
Since October 2003, authorities have arrested five Arabs attempting to cross illegally into the United States from Mexico.
In July, officials dismissed as untrue an Internet report that said a group of Middle Eastern men were recently caught trying to cross the border from Mexico.
The report apparently was based on a group of Oaxacan tribesmen who were stopped as they tried to cross the border in Arizona. The tribesmen spoke an Indian language native to southern Mexico that may have been mistaken for Arabic, officials said at the time.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
This is very bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm glad Homeland Security is working so well!! Maybe we just need another high level director to direct someeone who is directing the efforts of a cabinet member who may have something slightly to do with an intelligence or enforcement agency :rolleyes:

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Nah, put a gubment union in charge of it, that will fix it

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm glad Homeland Security is working so well!! Maybe we just need another high level director to direct someeone who is directing the efforts of a cabinet member who may have something slightly to do with an intelligence or enforcement agency
lol.......... No we just need to change the color to orange. I am pretty sure that will help.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Ridge needs to be let go. We need someone with brass balls in there.

farmer

Awards
Ridge needs to be let go. We need someone with brass balls in there.
No. What we need is absolutely nobody in there. Homeland security is nothing more than a convenient way to track every move we make without having to answer to anyone or get court orders for searches.

I do not view this as a political idea. It really matters very little to me who is in office because we are screwed either way. I just think that the gov. jumps on every chance they see to wrap another noose around our necks. Here's something to think about. Why is it that test replacement therapy is so closely scrutinized while estrogen is handed out nearly by the bottle? Could it be because test makes us men? If you were in control, wouldn't you rather deal with a bunch of fat, lazy bastards who cry while watching romantic movies? Or would you rather have to answer to a bunch of guys with test running through them? Just something to think about for all you conspiracy theorists.:think:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
farmer. good point.

I think the border needs to be run by the national guard. We fly home illegals by the jumbo jet and more come back. If they can make it so easily so can terrorists.

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One downside to the Federal shift in priority from Law Enforcement to Counter Terrorism has been the reduction in resources allocated to criminal investigation. We might be safer from getting blown up, but we're more at risk for things like Fraud and Violent crime.
Let's look at the big picture. More than half of everyone in prison is for a non-violent drug offense. $18billion is funded by the US to fight the $70billion war on drugs.

So where should our focus and resources go to?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Another reason to militarize the border!!!

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
No. What we need is absolutely nobody in there. Homeland security is nothing more than a convenient way to track every move we make without having to answer to anyone or get court orders for searches.
A federal court stuck those provisions of the patriot act down. They are appealing it though. I agree with you on the DHS. One of the problems was the sharing of intelligence between the CIA and FBI. Another problem is the government bureaucrats running them. Instead of addressing that they created another giant government bureaucracy.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I'm a Libertarian, a man who has faith in individual solutions of responsibility and freedom, not the growth of what I see as oligarchy/fascism in the US, but I long ago stopped trying to convince either Republicans or Democrats of the cancer both parties are and the need for individual determinism to affect the collective.
I agree with allot of the libertarian point of view. On some issues they scare me. They want an open boarder which I can not support.

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
Well it is no wonder that the borders of our country is so porous when we have millitary bases in counries such as Germany, Japan and other countries that really offer us no use but cost us billions and billions of dollars per year. I wonder what we could do with that money and how we could apply that to our borders.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
The bases in Germany and Japan are left over "help" from rebuilting both countries after WWII

BigSwede

Awards
The bases in Germany are being reduced in troop-strength. The Warsaw pact ain't what it used to be.

Noxchi

Noxchi

Awards
Chechens have no interst with your f...king country , they're just there for trade .

n87

Awards
  • Established
Chechens have no interst with your f...king country , they're just there for trade .
Really? Didn't Chechens bomb Boston marathon? Why do you live in our "f...king country" if you hate it?

Noxchi

Noxchi

Awards
Really? Didn't Chechens bomb Boston marathon? Why do you live in our "f...king country" if you hate it?
Tell that to my face if you're man enough. I dont live in your "f...king country".

n87

Awards
  • Established
Tell that to my face if you're man enough. I dont live in your "f...king country".
Lol...and people like you should stay the f...k out of US.

Willie_h

Awards
Why is there no tv coverage of this outside usa???