Why are Californians Buying Up Iodine?

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Why are Californians buying up iodine tablets?

Same for the Hawaiians?

Seriously - does anyone actually think that a localized meltdown in Japan could exceed what happened at Chernobyl?

Or for that matter - we detonated two nuke bombs in Japan at the end of WWII - and those bombs sprayed particulate radioactive debris into the atmosphere that went all over the northern hemisphere.

There were no demonstrable adverse health affects for any Americans after Chernobyl - and none for Americans after the nukes at Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Just seems plain silly and a gross understanding of both history and disaster scale by people who are supposed to be ... intelligent?

Boagrius

Boagrius

Awards
Hahah I know right!! People these days overreact. The sad part is they can still get other forms of radioactive poisoning, because KI's main purpose is to protect the thyroid. So unless they have googles, masks, and suits its not really gonna matter.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Buy stocks! It seems the American Stock Market is even scared silly! Stocks are tanking somewhat - so buy low because once everyone realizes that this isn't the end of the world - those stocks are going back up!

I'm even considering getting in to Japanese stocks - because they are really in the toilet right now. But ... Japan is coming back dudes - they are a GOOD bet. I travel to Japan at least once a year and I know these people - they are tough and determined mother ****ers.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
It's freaking absurd, I live in the Bay Area ( the peninsula, 4 blocks away from Stanford ) and everyone is freaking out....we're in it for the long haul.

I've never seen a bunch of people freak out over everything, as there tweeting and OMG and LOL'ing on there IPhones walking down drinking there 5 dollar lattes....that explains why there uber douchebags, and hippies :240:

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
I live in NY and manage a GNC in the local mall. Sorry to say, but it's the entire nation, not just Cali. I had literally 57 calls monday asking for potassium iodine. Fckn RIDICULOUS!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Hahah I know right!! People these days overreact. The sad part is they can still get other forms of radioactive poisoning, because KI's main purpose is to protect the thyroid. So unless they have googles, masks, and suits its not really gonna matter.
the reason for the ki is that iodine is the main dose hazard during a release

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
because most people are stupid.

plus, rad-x and radaway is all you really need.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It's freaking absurd, I live in the Bay Area ( the peninsula, 4 blocks away from Stanford ) and everyone is freaking out....we're in it for the long haul.

I've never seen a bunch of people freak out over everything, as there tweeting and OMG and LOL'ing on there IPhones walking down drinking there 5 dollar lattes....that explains why there uber douchebags, and hippies :240:
Haha, gotta love the many faces of SF. :)

No big deal for us at this point, and no need to live in fear, but it doesn't hurt to have some on hard. If you add a drop of 1N NaOH solution to your saturated KI it'll stay stable well over a year if protected from light. Make some and have it ready, put it in a dark place and forget about it until you Geiger counter starts chirping.