Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

meathed

meathed

Awards
...wow... I suppose though. It's been two whole great big 'ol gigantic years since the pres. took office. Where are my streets of gold and rivers of milk and honey dammit? Furthermore, we just kicked a bunch of Dems. out of the house and senate and implanted a bunch of Repubs. It's been like two or three months and not a damn thing has changed. They've had more than enough time to turn this economy around and set America on the right path, lazy @ss bums. I say throw the losers out and elect a group of circus clowns, pack mules, a giant bowl of strawberry jello (sugar free), and those nice folks from Westboro Baptist Church. Then we might have a fighting chance for real lasting prosperous change. One can dream I suppose.
:dot:

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
...wow... I suppose though. It's been two whole great big 'ol gigantic years since the pres. took office. Where are my streets of gold and rivers of milk and honey dammit? Furthermore, we just kicked a bunch of Dems. out of the house and senate and implanted a bunch of Repubs. It's been like two or three months and not a damn thing has changed. They've had more than enough time to turn this economy around and set America on the right path, lazy @ss bums. I say throw the losers out and elect a group of circus clowns, pack mules, a giant bowl of strawberry jello (sugar free), and those nice folks from Westboro Baptist Church. Then we might have a fighting chance for real lasting prosperous change. One can dream I suppose.
:dot:
Well, it's actually only been about 1.5 months if you're talking about the election on November 2nd, and the newly elected representatives aren't actually in office yet (they take office the first week of January). This is the lame-duck session; The last-ditch effort to force their will down our throats. What's happening now should be criminal! How the hell a bunch of terminated congressmen can pass laws after they've been fired is beyond me, especially laws that have such widespread impact on the American people.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, it's actually only been about 1.5 months if you're talking about the election on November 2nd, and the newly elected representatives aren't actually in office yet (they take office the first week of January). This is the lame-duck session; The last-ditch effort to force their will down our throats. What's happening now should be criminal! How the hell a bunch of terminated congressmen can pass laws after they've been fired is beyond me, especially laws that have such widespread impact on the American people.
Force things down our throat? Whats happening now should be criminal? Laws that have widespread impact? What have they passed other than the tax cut yestarday? Everything has been rejected by the republicans in an effort to get the tax bill they wanted including the 9/11 responders bill. You are right, it should be criminal. For you to blatantly reject every bill that comes in no matter who it is in the best interest for untill they give into your demands. Yea sounds pretty criminal to me

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Well, let's see. DADT reform, dream act, start treaty, omnibus, etc.-Thank GOD they have been stopped thus far, but it's pretty terrifying that these things are even being deliberated by people that have been FIRED, and won't even be in office in a few weeks.

Where were you when Congress was passing things without Republican votes for the last 2 years (supermajority, remember), without even reading the bills, passing them in the middle of the night, over holidays, etc.? We were raising hell, and you all said, "Well, the people have spoken, and they trust US, the Democrats!" Well, the people HAVE spoken, and they trust US-the Republicans. Deal with it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think we have to realise that, while whoever is President may set the tone of govt. No one man or party entirely "rules" the country. The "Body" of the American political system and the Supreme Court absolutely assures that we remain a "Free" country. Criticism is only helpful when an alternative method or a viable solution is presented. Its covered by "Free speech" and the people should express their dissent as a keystone to liberty and freedom, but without presenting possible solutions it comes off as a "whine". Lets not forget, he was elected by a majority of Democrats and then by a majority of American voters. I dont remember a President, that wasnt criticized and blamed for anything and almost everything that went wrong in this country. We need to see politics for what it truely is. JMO, Im not political, but I am an American. We need to think for ourselves! No more of the "chicken little" "Their ruining our country" mindset, thats what Hitler used to murder 10 million people in less than a decade. Comments?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
We need to see politics for what it truely is.
That would probably start an outright revolution...just saying...

I HATE that people make 'careers' in politics. That in itself is a serious problem to me.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
That would probably start an outright revolution...just saying...

I HATE that people make 'careers' in politics. That in itself is a serious problem to me.
Without "career politicians" ie. educated, intelligent, compassionate, individuals that really care about Americans regardless of class, income or intellect, we would not have a "Free society". Fortunately there are politicians in both parties that fit this description. We are all Americans and as such should actively seek to assert our rights and liberties in a responsible and benign manner. Fascism in any form, is the end of liberty.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Without "career politicians" ie. educated, intelligent, compassionate, individuals that really care about Americans regardless of class, income or intellect, we would not have a "Free society". Fortunately there are politicians in both parties that fit this description. We are all Americans and as such should actively seek to assert our rights and liberties in a responsible and benign manner. Fascism in any form, is the end of liberty.
I disagree. The strongest incentive to force lawmakers to do the right thing is that they have to go back to the people and live in the society as they shaped it. Once you've been in office 30 years, I just don't think it's possible to fully understand the impact you're having on people's lives. I don't think they should be able to vote for their own pay-raises. You know you're in a bad spot when Congress says, "Ya, we know you guys don't like this law. Trust us, it's a good thing. We just didn't do a good enough job explaining it, but you'll see." Sounds like they're ruling us, as opposed to the way it's supposed to be. That's why Congress's approval rating is so high, oh WAIT! No it's not! It's at the lowest level in the HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES @ 13% approval (13 out of 100 people approve) according to Rasmussen Polls.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I understand your presupposed notion of a "great divide" in terms of what ordinary citizens are experiencing as opposed to "people living on the hill", but, its important to realise that some "career politicians," probably more than you would think, actively investigate living conditions, personal situations, comments about government, bureaucratic encounters, etc. in person. They ARE in touch with whats actually being experienced by the citizens.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, let's see. DADT reform, dream act, start treaty, omnibus, etc.-Thank GOD they have been stopped thus far, but it's pretty terrifying that these things are even being deliberated by people that have been FIRED, and won't even be in office in a few weeks.

Where were you when Congress was passing things without Republican votes for the last 2 years (supermajority, remember), without even reading the bills, passing them in the middle of the night, over holidays, etc.? We were raising hell, and you all said, "Well, the people have spoken, and they trust US, the Democrats!" Well, the people HAVE spoken, and they trust US-the Republicans. Deal with it.
Super Majority? How is that of ANY importance? :twisted:

<Full of sarcasm>

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Super Majority? How is that of ANY importance? :twisted:

<Full of sarcasm>
Ya, I know. There could be 1 (ONE) republican in all of Congress, and liberals would STILL blame the republicans. It's insanity at its best (or worst, depending on your political position).

meathed

meathed

Awards
Well, it's actually only been about 1.5 months if you're talking about the election on November 2nd, and the newly elected representatives aren't actually in office yet (they take office the first week of January).
Thanks for clearing that up. I must have been mistaken in my obviously not to be taken serious mockery of the video in the Op.

I think we have to realise that, while whoever is President may set the tone of govt. No one man or party entirely "rules" the country. The "Body" of the American political system and the Supreme Court absolutely assures that we remain a "Free" country. Criticism is only helpful when an alternative method or a viable solution is presented. Its covered by "Free speech" and the people should express their dissent as a keystone to liberty and freedom, but without presenting possible solutions it comes off as a "whine". Lets not forget, he was elected by a majority of Democrats and then by a majority of American voters. I dont remember a President, that wasnt criticized and blamed for anything and almost everything that went wrong in this country. We need to see politics for what it truely is. JMO, Im not political, but I am an American. We need to think for ourselves! No more of the "chicken little" "Their ruining our country" mindset, thats what Hitler used to murder 10 million people in less than a decade. Comments?
I couldn't agree more. Eloquently put Knowbull. The video, (which was the premise for this thread), was inflammatory, accusatory, and sickeningly partisan. It served no purpose other than to insight anger and contempt. I could care less what party line one walks, if any at all, so long as one makes an honest attempt to do right by their country and its people. Idealistic as it may be, it is the way it should be. Instead of pointing the finger at some party label, as if the moniker was to blame for the failings of men and women, we should be coming together as a united front striving for prosperity as a nation. If everyone looked out for the person next to them instead of themselves, our lives would be far richer in so many respects.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
My bad! I didn't actually watch the video, since my internet connection is EXTREMELY slow right now. I was hoping for a transcription of the video in the post. And I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just wanted to let you know. Take it easy!

meathed

meathed

Awards
My bad! I didn't actually watch the video, since my internet connection is EXTREMELY slow right now. I was hoping for a transcription of the video in the post. And I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just wanted to let you know. Take it easy!
All in good fun brother. Just bustin' your balls. Cheers.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for clearing that up. I must have been mistaken in my obviously not to be taken serious mockery of the video in the Op.

I couldn't agree more. Eloquently put Knowbull. The video, (which was the premise for this thread), was inflammatory, accusatory, and sickeningly partisan. It served no purpose other than to insight anger and contempt. I could care less what party line one walks, if any at all, so long as one makes an honest attempt to do right by their country and its people. Idealistic as it may be, it is the way it should be. Instead of pointing the finger at some party label, as if the moniker was to blame for the failings of men and women, we should be coming together as a united front striving for prosperity as a nation. If everyone looked out for the person next to them instead of themselves, our lives would be far richer in so many respects.
Thanks for the compliment. I want you and everyone to know that the original poster did not intentionally mean to incite anything other than discussion, he sent me a pm that explained how he had taken it out of context. He, like mysel,f is a senior member here and has posted informatively for the benefit of other members. So, this has been a good discussion here and thanks for your positive comments!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I disagree. The strongest incentive to force lawmakers to do the right thing is that they have to go back to the people and live in the society as they shaped it. Once you've been in office 30 years, I just don't think it's possible to fully understand the impact you're having on people's lives. I don't think they should be able to vote for their own pay-raises. You know you're in a bad spot when Congress says, "Ya, we know you guys don't like this law. Trust us, it's a good thing. We just didn't do a good enough job explaining it, but you'll see." Sounds like they're ruling us, as opposed to the way it's supposed to be. That's why Congress's approval rating is so high, oh WAIT! No it's not! It's at the lowest level in the HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES @ 13% approval (13 out of 100 people approve) according to Rasmussen Polls.
I like the idea of "educated, intelligent, compassionate, individuals that really care about Americans regardless of class, income or intellect," but I can't help but think that there are members (both houses, both parties,) that are there for the wrong reasons. And with some positions not having term limits, it can potentially create a disconnect between a congressman/woman and their constituents.

What I was getting at was touched by diablosho in regards to going "back to the people and live in the society as they shaped it." For career politicians, especially those with the wrong intentions, it is similar to a child with an ant farm.

Perhaps instead of 'term limits,' how about having them go home after 1-2 terms (House and Senate,) and having to live in the community they created for at least one term before being eligible for another term of office. At least that way, we can be sure that our elected officials know how they are impacting us, who chose them to represent us. A positive to this would be helping to keep the uninformed (of which I will not exclude myself,) from simply voting for the incumbent simply because they were already in that seat. Maybe a system such as this would entice voters to learn more about their candidates instead of simply voting for the incumbent or voting a straight ticket.

I'm not going to lie and say that I am well versed in politics, but I do believe there to be something foul in the current political system. I agree that we should brainstorm solutions instead of just following the ""chicken little" "Their ruining our country" mindset," as you put it, Knowbull.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The two party system inevitably sets itself up for polarization as well as having to choose from, "the lesser of two evils."

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The two party system inevitably sets itself up for polarization as well as having to choose from, "the lesser of two evils."
True. It also makes it difficult for any independent candidate to succeed.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I like the idea of "educated, intelligent, compassionate, individuals that really care about Americans regardless of class, income or intellect," but I can't help but think that there are members (both houses, both parties,) that are there for the wrong reasons. And with some positions not having term limits, it can potentially create a disconnect between a congressman/woman and their constituents.

What I was getting at was touched by diablosho in regards to going "back to the people and live in the society as they shaped it." For career politicians, especially those with the wrong intentions, it is similar to a child with an ant farm.

Perhaps instead of 'term limits,' how about having them go home after 1-2 terms (House and Senate,) and having to live in the community they created for at least one term before being eligible for another term of office. At least that way, we can be sure that our elected officials know how they are impacting us, who chose them to represent us. A positive to this would be helping to keep the uninformed (of which I will not exclude myself,) from simply voting for the incumbent simply because they were already in that seat. Maybe a system such as this would entice voters to learn more about their candidates instead of simply voting for the incumbent or voting a straight ticket.

I'm not going to lie and say that I am well versed in politics, but I do believe there to be something foul in the current political system. I agree that we should brainstorm solutions instead of just following the ""chicken little" "Their ruining our country" mindset," as you put it, Knowbull.
Agreed, Im not a politco type either and neither am I a political dunce. I "see" there are some with malicious intent, but they arent aware of it. I dont know about term limits, as there are some politicians, that I beleive, should stay in politics forever. Some of these are staying in politics by mere force of their convictions and conscience. They realise that to stop now would bring an end to Democracy, freedom, and liberty as we know it. Party dissension and ensueing compromise are part of what keeps us a "free people". The picture is much larger than what is (or should be) obvious. Its just my opinion and thankfully I can express it and vote privately for whomever I please without having anyone know who I voted for with no fear of the Government or the people targeting me for my beliefs.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Wait for net-neutrality. YOU will still be able to speak freely, at least. Our speech is hate-speech.