Keith Olbermann suspended over political donations

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What a chump he is !!!!

Msnbc TV host Keith Olbermann was suspended indefinitely on Friday for making campaign donations to three Democratic congressional candidates, apparently in violation of NBC News ethics policy.

The announcement came in a one-sentence statement from msnbc TV President Phil Griffin: “I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.”

The donations were first reported by the Politico website earlier in the day.

Olbermann acknowledged the donations in a statement to Politico, saying he gave the maximum legal donation of $2,400 to Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords and Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, who waged an unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate against Tea Party standard-bearer Rand Paul.

Like most news organizations, NBC News, parent of msnbc TV, prohibits political contributions by its journalists without prior approval of the president. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of NBC News and Microsoft.)

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest,” it reads. “Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the president of NBC News or his designee."

Politico noted that the donations to Grijalva and Giffords were made on Oct. 28, the same day that Grijalva appeared on Olbermann’s “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” show. Grijalva won re-election on Tuesday, while Giffords on Friday was clinging to a narrow lead over Republican Jesse Kelly in a race that the Associated Press has not yet called.

In his statement to Politico, Olbermann said he did not encourage his viewers or other staff members to donate to the candidates.

“I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns, nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level,” he was quoted as saying.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
What a chump he is !!!!

Msnbc TV host Keith Olbermann was suspended indefinitely on Friday for making campaign donations to three Democratic congressional candidates, apparently in violation of NBC News ethics policy.

The announcement came in a one-sentence statement from msnbc TV President Phil Griffin: “I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.”

The donations were first reported by the Politico website earlier in the day.

Olbermann acknowledged the donations in a statement to Politico, saying he gave the maximum legal donation of $2,400 to Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords and Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, who waged an unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate against Tea Party standard-bearer Rand Paul.

Like most news organizations, NBC News, parent of msnbc TV, prohibits political contributions by its journalists without prior approval of the president. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of NBC News and Microsoft.)

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest,” it reads. “Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the president of NBC News or his designee."

Politico noted that the donations to Grijalva and Giffords were made on Oct. 28, the same day that Grijalva appeared on Olbermann’s “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” show. Grijalva won re-election on Tuesday, while Giffords on Friday was clinging to a narrow lead over Republican Jesse Kelly in a race that the Associated Press has not yet called.

In his statement to Politico, Olbermann said he did not encourage his viewers or other staff members to donate to the candidates.

“I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns, nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level,” he was quoted as saying.
Keith Olbermann is a liberal?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
He is tied with Chris Mathews for number 1 idiot on TV. He was cool on Sportscenter.

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
No big suprise really! what is suprising is that NBC has a "news ethics policy" LOL.

Keith is a tool!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like MSNBC isn't the liberal standard bearer to begin with. Isn't one of their evening shows pretty much dedicated to trying to poke fun at whatever Beck did on his show the prior day?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They are all garbage
olberman, Matthews, beck, etc...

At least OReilly is somewhat funny

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Meanwhile the hacks 3 (Hannity Beck and O'Rielly) as well as the rest of the FOX tools not only donate but raise thousands if not hundreds of thousands for right wing candidates, you guys are so full of ****.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
fastone that really isnt the point though. No doubt they do it, and you are right they are hacks. However, Olberman is the issue here.

How anyone can watch any of these guys is mind boggling

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Meanwhile the hacks 3 (Hannity Beck and O'Rielly) as well as the rest of the FOX tools not only donate but raise thousands if not hundreds of thousands for right wing candidates, you guys are so full of ****.
you just prove that you are clueless as ever (and as clueless as most democrats). The comedy here is that MSNBC has and enforced such a silly policy when they are so obviously biased in their reporting and shows.

Do a quick count on any day of number of liberal + democrat guests on Fox, vs a count of conservative republicans on MSNBC. Fox has a greater showing of liberals than MSNBC does of conservatives

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
you just prove that you are clueless as ever (and as clueless as most democrats). The comedy here is that MSNBC has and enforced such a silly policy when they are so obviously biased in their reporting and shows.

Do a quick count on any day of number of liberal + democrat guests on Fox, vs a count of conservative republicans on MSNBC. Fox has a greater showing of liberals than MSNBC does of conservatives
I think you're the one that is clueless. That MSNBC may be left leaning, I don't dispute that. But if you think for a minute that Fox is "Fair and Balanced" in any way, shape or form I have some land near a pier in Brooklyn to sell you, cheap.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think MSNBC should suspend him for political donations. I can't stand the guy, but I'm not interested in silencing anyone. I guess it's their prerogative, but whatever.

Same with that $hit about Savage getting banned in Britain over remarks taken out of context. Completely absurd.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I don't think MSNBC should suspend him for political donations. I can't stand the guy, but I'm not interested in silencing anyone. I guess it's their prerogative, but whatever.

Same with that $hit about Savage getting banned in Britain over remarks taken out of context. Completely absurd.
Under the rules that are in place he deserved the suspension, I just think the rule sucks. Each of these "news" stations are what they are, consequently imo there is no conflict of interest. Besides who the hell are they to tell you what you should do with your own money.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Under the rules that are in place he deserved the suspension, I just think the rule sucks. Each of these "news" stations are what they are, consequently imo there is no conflict of interest. Besides who the hell are they to tell you what you should do with your own money.
See there's something we can both agree on.