DONT ASK DONT TELL keep it leave it & why

SELFofGOD

SELFofGOD

Awards
I have been reading a lot of articles about doing away with the current DADT military policy. Would like to hear some comments from you guys both for and against with reasons why you feel whatever way.
I have lived my last 5 years in Iraq and now currently living in Afghanistan supporting the mission.
My personal opinion would be to leave DADT in place.
One thing I feel that we all have to understand is that we are talking about our Military and in so doing we are dealing with the UCMJ.
Not at all the same as the regular " rights " civilians have back at home.

Look foward to a Mature discussion.

Self

BIGDOGEMS

Awards
I think it needs to be left as is. Personally I have no problem with any choice people make in their personal life as long as it doesnt effect mine. However, Im sure their would be plenty of issues that would arise from this as far as harassment. Granted Im sure there would be punishments put in place but are you going to really want to snitch on someone who is suppose to protect your life

SELFofGOD

SELFofGOD

Awards
As it is now, just having females in the military cuases problems. Not saying females arent ft for the army but its just natural for it to cuase a problem.
seen it too many tmes.
Now if you think about it , if the military would allow people to serve and allow them to serve openly gay a lot of things would have be done to insure ( or at least try to ) that harrasment would not take place.
example....housing. Females do not bunk with male soldiers. Nor do they shower with males.
Some places still have those huge open shower rooms. Would you force a female soldier to have to shower with males .....no.
Same goes for gay soldiers , you would be asking for trouble if you expect them to live and shower with your straight male soldiers.
Just one simple example on why this would not work and how it would cost the military.

Dont get me wrong , I understand a soldier no matter what his sexual pref is Can still pull the trigger. That is not the point.

tattedsailor

tattedsailor

Awards
As it is now, just having females in the military cuases problems. Not saying females arent ft for the army but its just natural for it to cuase a problem.
seen it too many tmes.
Now if you think about it , if the military would allow people to serve and allow them to serve openly gay a lot of things would have be done to insure ( or at least try to ) that harrasment would not take place.
example....housing. Females do not bunk with male soldiers. Nor do they shower with males.
Some places still have those huge open shower rooms. Would you force a female soldier to have to shower with males .....no.
Same goes for gay soldiers , you would be asking for trouble if you expect them to live and shower with your straight male soldiers.
Just one simple example on why this would not work and how it would cost the military.

Dont get me wrong , I understand a soldier no matter what his sexual pref is Can still pull the trigger. That is not the point.

I was asked this question at a Sailor of the Quarter board last year and this is the exact response i gave. Its not an issue with people being able to perform their duties, it comes down to living/showering arrangements. I'm so glad someone else gets it.

SELFofGOD

SELFofGOD

Awards
So you like guys , girls, farm animals lol i really don`t care. You wanna serve your country thats great but it`s not that simple.
In this current time soldiers , sailers , marines and airmen have a lot more to worrie about than having to take some new class on sexual harrasment or who knows what they will call it.

As far as I see, anyone can still serve in the military just Dont ask and please dont tell.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
What great military has openly gay people serving? China? Russia? Some in Israel said it was a mistake. A soldier should be able to remain focussed, sexual orientation shouldn't be thrown in their faces. PC shouldn't exist in the military.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As a soldier, one should not be openly gay IMO... EVER...