recalling the following Nobel Prizes

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by lutherblsstt View Post
    Re: the environment.
    Tragedy of the commons.
    Which is why I prefer property based solutions where possible. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect so there will likely be a few areas where, God help us, government stewardship is the practical answer. I've noted elsewhere on threads on this very subject, it was the courts in the late nineteenth century that stopped hassle suits against smoke spewing factories because they figured it was better for the 'overall social good' for industry to get a pass. After that the courts decided pollution was a relative thing, and that so long as you weren't polluting out of proportion to everyone else, you were golden. The history of wrecked environments in this country, and I'd wager abroad, is littered with government quashed attempts to assert property rights in the overused resources which would have had the effect of limiting pollution.

There's a simple solution to the tragedy of the commons: let someone own them and charge for access. This is the only real way to overcome it. And you'll never see it endorsed by any greenies because implicit in it is that there is an optimal level of pollution people will tolerate. But again, empirically you get market baseed views justified. The government claims ownership and/or thwarts attempts at extending property rights into these areas, the predicted result is overuse, which is exactly what happens. Which people then blame on the free market...

2. I about fell out of my chair when I read that Milton Friedman's Nobel Prize was going to be revoked...and then I realized that it was satirical, but still it wouldn't suprise me. Friedman is one of my heroes.
    •   

3. After Al Gore received the prize over Ira Sendler (who saved thousands of children), I lost all respect for those who decide who gets it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by panmerc View Post
    After Al Gore received the prize over Ira Sendler (who saved thousands of children), I lost all respect for those who decide who gets it.
    Not when they gave the peace prize to arafat? I mean the prize is given out by the Swedish central back, so it's no surprise they favor heavy government intervention advocating economists. But when it comes to giving peace prizes to mass murderers you'd think they would draw the line.

5. Quote Originally Posted by CDB View Post
    ...I mean the prize is given out by the Swedish central back, so it's no surprise they favor heavy government intervention advocating economists.....
    Not quite. Alfred B. Nobel designated the Norwegian Parliament to select a committee of five individuals. This committee awards the Nobel Peace Prize (which Mr. Gore received). In terms of the Economics Prize, formally referred to as the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economics in Memory of Alfred Nobel, the Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) designated the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences with the task of selecting the prize winner (beginning 1968).
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
    •   

6. lutherblsstt

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRugby34 View Post
    I about fell out of my chair when I read that Milton Friedman's Nobel Prize was going to be revoked...and then I realized that it was satirical, but still it wouldn't suprise me. Friedman is one of my heroes.

7. l want to know when are they actually going to allow and use most of the fantastic inventions instead of holding them back so our lives remain mediocre one example is Nikola tesla his invention of wireless power just like we get wireless communication was kept quiet because it was not commercially viable for fat greedy capitalists. His final 30 years of research was banned and kept hidden by the U.S government.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help SNS rename some products/possible prizes
    By sns8778 in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
  2. Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
    By strategicmove in forum Politics
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 08:41 PM
  3. Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
    By strategicmove in forum General Chat