The Queen

nopeace

Awards
  • Established
Hi fellas,

I was wondering, why do US President's kneel in front of the Queen of England?

Why do they respect her so much?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Etiquette and respect.

British subects are required to (actually women curtsy, men bow) visiting dignitaries are not. So Obama doing it was a sign of respect.

There are others rules though. There is the "no-touch" rule. The queen's visitors have to wait until she extends her hand to take it, and they are not supposed to grip it tightly or pump it. No hugs, no kiss on the cheek, no touching the shoulder...it's generally not considered socially acceptable to touch Her Majesty in any kind of way or to take her elbow to direct her. Some advise that turning one's back on the queen is also not done.

My wife's British btw...

nopeace

Awards
  • Established
Etiquette and respect.

British subects are required to (actually women curtsy, men bow) visiting dignitaries are not. So Obama doing it was a sign of respect.

There are others rules though. There is the "no-touch" rule. The queen's visitors have to wait until she extends her hand to take it, and they are not supposed to grip it tightly or pump it. No hugs, no kiss on the cheek, no touching the shoulder...it's generally not considered socially acceptable to touch Her Majesty in any kind of way or to take her elbow to direct her. Some advise that turning one's back on the queen is also not done.

My wife's British btw...
Why respect some one by act of formal submission. i think a nice hand shake, or gesture is more American than treating her like our queen. She's just an old a lady with a bloodline that has no significance other than tabloid drama.

I don't understand why treat her as a person who is above everyone else? It's more than respect to me, it's submission and I figure we are honoring her as if she was a ruler. She is nothing more than a celebrity. Y should our president even care to visit her.

nopeace

Awards
  • Established
Etiquette and respect.

My wife's British btw...
I dont know y they have all these rules. Is she some kind of deity? No touch rule? Y not touch her? is she jesus?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there are lots of monarchs that have rules like this. The Queen is not different from others around the world.

nopeace

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but they're just "Celebrities" they shouldn't get more respect than people.

They are not selected by God to rule like they used to tell everyone.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here in the UK no one i know in any of my social circles be it business or otherwise has an opinion of substance on the Royal family and/or the Queen herself.

Perhaps to many here she is a relic of times when the UK pretty much ruled the world and thus a bitter reminder of what we have become.

Obama and other presidents bowing is them aligning with UK tradition, despite a lot of abuse and banter between Brits and Yanks there is a deep history there which includes women and men of both nations giving their lives for mutual causes be them with good or ill intentions.

I would have no problem with the queen bowing to Obama and certainly not see it as submission, but rather acknowledgement of history and having respect for being in that persons country as a guest.

I bow every day to my instructors, off the mats they are my equal, on them i am treading their grounds and thus i must abide by their traditions and wishes.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Hi fellas,

I was wondering, why do US President's kneel in front of the Queen of England?

Why do they respect her so much?
Tradition. Same reason we still wear ties but can't use them as napkins.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
She is part of the Pentaveret who run everything in the world, including the newspapers and meet tri-annually at a secret mansion in Colorado knows at, the Meadows.

The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee beady eye! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
She is part of the Pentaveret who run everything in the world, including the newspapers and meet tri-annually at a secret mansion in Colorado knows at, the Meadows.

The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee beady eye! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

:)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

awesome movie right there

"his head has his own weather system"

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its one of those movies, that when it is on, you have to sit and watch. cracks me up every time

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was offsides...He's going to cry on his huge pilla...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
woman, wo man, wooooooooo man

she took my heart and my cat