Well spent stimulus funds...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stimulus to pay for anti-suicide fence in Ohio - wtop.com

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio city plans to use federal stimulus money to install fencing on a bridge to keep people from jumping to their deaths.

One person has committed suicide this year from Akron's All-America Bridge. Two did last year.

A father of a suicide victim is praising the decision to add the fence, at a cost of up to $1.5 million. Robert Conley says it might have stopped his son Kevin from killing himself in 2006.

Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic (pluhs-KWEHL'-ihk) notes that the government now requires new bridges to have fencing.

Akron is receiving a total of $21 million for road and bridge projects from the federal program intended to create jobs and stimulate the economy

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you gotta love this. Well spent cash :rolleyes:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It makes no sense, where does this stimulate anything other than some fence builders... If you want to build an expensive fence I have a few other ideas that would probably yield better results... Why would you invest over a million dollars to prevent people from jumping from a bridge to kill themselves??

****ing boggles the imagination.

dpfisher

Seems like it would only stop fat people since anyone else could climb the fence.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
It makes no sense, where does this stimulate anything other than some fence builders... If you want to build an expensive fence I have a few other ideas that would probably yield better results... Why would you invest over a million dollars to prevent people from jumping from a bridge to kill themselves??

****ing boggles the imagination.
The whole stimulus package is based on faulty economic logic: the Keynesian multiplier. The Keynesian multiplier basically says that 1+1=3.....ie 1 dollar spent by the public sector increases the velocity of money and "primes the pump". The problem with this theory is that it is based on two faulty assumptions:

1. that government spending does not inhibit private sector spending. If the government taxes, that is taking capital out of the economy. If the government borrows money, that is taking away capital that could have been spent on the private. A dollar is a dollar, no matter who spends it.

2. that government spends money more efficiently than the private sector. Do I need to even argue this point?

Now an economy like china for instance can benefit from a stimulus for two reasons:

1. they have room to grow on infrastructure compared to the already developed US.

2. They're spending government surpluses, not government deficits.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
oh so your an economist? wow thats cool
Well, I've been doing a lot of reading on economics and the theories behind it, I would not call myself an economist by any stretch. Many of the conversations I had with Mulletsoldier on this site got me interested in economics.

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
If stimulus money is spent on ANY fencing it should be for the freaking BORDER FENCE to the south. And as unfortunate if someone is determined to off themselves like that, they will go find another bridge or some other way.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh so your an economist? wow thats cool
So not being an economist makes it impossible to have an opinion all of a sudden? I guess since we're not politicians we shouldn't have an opinion in politics either...

STOP ALL DISCUSSION!!!!!!!

:crackhead:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you invest over a million dollars to prevent people from jumping from a bridge to kill themselves??
because you are a democrat and can get positive tv media coverage for building it.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
So not being an economist makes it impossible to have an opinion all of a sudden? I guess since we're not politicians we shouldn't have an opinion in politics either...

STOP ALL DISCUSSION!!!!!!!

:crackhead:
Heh, I didn't realize he was being sarcastic. :laugh:

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I ran into this when I lived in Marin County, CA...I wanted to ride my bicycle into SF to see a friend's show but didn't realize that the walkway on the GG bridge is closed at 8:30 or 9pm to pedestrian/cyclist traffic WTF??? There is no public transport over the bridge at this time of night except the bus which almost never runs at night...f***ing overly liberal f***heads! What they're trying to say is that as a ped./cyclist you are not a citizen in this case.

Trying to keep people from offing themselves is absolutely the stupidest thing I can fathom: if somebody wants to commit their body to the deep, I may try to talk to them but setting up automatic gates to shut off a bridge from ped. traffic is rather insulting to the public.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
My goodness, how will they prevent someone from blasting their brains or inhaling fumes in a garage ! I don't know what they would even spend on suicide prevention since a real suicidal person will find a way. I guess they can always spend the $$$ on worse things like preaching abstinence LOL.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
That was one earmark out of probably 1000+ in this SPENDING bill...I don't consider it a stimulus.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I wish I could say I was suprised. That's our gubment for ya. Please protect us from ourselves with our own money Mr. Politician!