Well spent stimulus funds...
- 03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Well spent stimulus funds...
Stimulus to pay for anti-suicide fence in Ohio - wtop.com
AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio city plans to use federal stimulus money to install fencing on a bridge to keep people from jumping to their deaths.
One person has committed suicide this year from Akron's All-America Bridge. Two did last year.
A father of a suicide victim is praising the decision to add the fence, at a cost of up to $1.5 million. Robert Conley says it might have stopped his son Kevin from killing himself in 2006.
Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic (pluhs-KWEHL'-ihk) notes that the government now requires new bridges to have fencing.
Akron is receiving a total of $21 million for road and bridge projects from the federal program intended to create jobs and stimulate the economy
- 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
- 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
It makes no sense, where does this stimulate anything other than some fence builders... If you want to build an expensive fence I have a few other ideas that would probably yield better results... Why would you invest over a million dollars to prevent people from jumping from a bridge to kill themselves??
****ing boggles the imagination.
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
1. that government spending does not inhibit private sector spending. If the government taxes, that is taking capital out of the economy. If the government borrows money, that is taking away capital that could have been spent on the private. A dollar is a dollar, no matter who spends it.
2. that government spends money more efficiently than the private sector. Do I need to even argue this point?
Now an economy like china for instance can benefit from a stimulus for two reasons:
1. they have room to grow on infrastructure compared to the already developed US.
2. They're spending government surpluses, not government deficits.
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
04-02-2009, 12:27 AM
If stimulus money is spent on ANY fencing it should be for the freaking BORDER FENCE to the south. And as unfortunate if someone is determined to off themselves like that, they will go find another bridge or some other way.
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
04-02-2009, 02:46 PM
04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
04-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I ran into this when I lived in Marin County, CA...I wanted to ride my bicycle into SF to see a friend's show but didn't realize that the walkway on the GG bridge is closed at 8:30 or 9pm to pedestrian/cyclist traffic WTF??? There is no public transport over the bridge at this time of night except the bus which almost never runs at night...f***ing overly liberal f***heads! What they're trying to say is that as a ped./cyclist you are not a citizen in this case.
Trying to keep people from offing themselves is absolutely the stupidest thing I can fathom: if somebody wants to commit their body to the deep, I may try to talk to them but setting up automatic gates to shut off a bridge from ped. traffic is rather insulting to the public.
04-05-2009, 04:53 AM
My goodness, how will they prevent someone from blasting their brains or inhaling fumes in a garage ! I don't know what they would even spend on suicide prevention since a real suicidal person will find a way. I guess they can always spend the $$$ on worse things like preaching abstinence LOL.
04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I wish I could say I was suprised. That's our gubment for ya. Please protect us from ourselves with our own money Mr. Politician!
04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Similar Forum Threads
- By ryaroberts in forum AnabolicsReplies: 3Last Post: 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
- By CEDeoudes59 in forum General ChatReplies: 34Last Post: 08-03-2006, 07:32 AM
- By spoofy in forum AnabolicsReplies: 9Last Post: 05-27-2003, 07:56 PM
- By T-Bar in forum AnabolicsReplies: 22Last Post: 03-23-2003, 10:03 AM