One thing confuses me about the "stimus"

Page 3 of 3 First 123

  1. [QUOTE=ABNRanger;1819193]
    Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
    "$20 billion for food stamps"

    Haha

    My buddy said that "while most presidents get their face on money, Obama will get his on food stamps".

    Now, he's not a rascist guy, nor am I. But I got admit....that's funny![/QUOTE]

    Not to start a racial dispute, but would he have said something to that effect if the president was white. I think you yourself felt it seemed racist, hence your statement of defence. I am one for good comedy, and don't usually read into things, but that comment did spark my interest. Now as I digress, I think the thought that the stimulus would create jobs (especially in the auto industry) is misguided. With the economy as it is now, and so many auto workers laid off, the inventory will still be full when this gets resolved. Do you think they will make more cars with so much still sitting on the lot?
    As a milirary minded person, I say we needed to make a stand for what happened on 911. War will always spark a lot of negative response, whether economically or morally other for whatever people feel is the wrong reason for it. Now I do believe it is time to come home. I have seen enough of my buddies killed (remember somalia). Casuality of war is iminent, but once again, I feel it is time to come home.
    Probably not, but I think the part I find funny is that everyone thinks Barack is gong to be this welfare handing out, president. Some would argue that he already is, I just think its blown out of proportion. Besides I've seen more whites cashing in on food stamps so its not really a race issue. I guess Im also used to being freinds with a diverse crowd and we can bust each others balls without getting offended. And trust me, as far as the lighthearted stuf goes....we get busted on about the typical white jokes...we cant dance, cant play sports and have "no game" lol!
    When it comes down to serious business, we gotta see each others as individuals rather than be judged on our color or sex or religion.

    I agree w you about a response for 911 was appropriate. But I think keeping the focus on Afghanistan and the capture of bin laden and a more thorough dissolving of al qaeda leadership before moving on Iraq may have prevented the growing of Al Qaeda in Iraq to an extent and its threat to our troops. I would have also preferred more stealth in the quest for Bin Laden and less shock and awe and headlines. I also think waiting on Iraq and finishing the job on Bin laden first would have given less hate fuel for new recruits for AL Qaeda causes.

    I think even the Arab world thought Al Qaeda were nut jobs for the most part, until more and more big military operations were seen over there....then their radical claims of a US led war on Arabia seemed more plausible.

    I am hopeful for a democratic Iraq regardless of the stumbles getting there though.


  2. You also bring up a great point about cars sittin on the lot there....


    I think the biggest problem with Detroit is form the drawing board up in MHO.

    If you're buyin a used car. You wont be quite so picky if your budget is say $6000.

    But if you're buying a new car and spending $20,000, $30,000 or more you want something that is sleek looking and sexy. Can we really say that about Detroit's lineup?

    About the only place I see us having a lead is in the Jumbo Pickups. Which, because of fuel economy...the rest of the world isnt too interested in.
    •   
       


  3. [QUOTE=edgebsl;1819311]
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    Besides I've seen more whites cashing in on food stamps so its not really a race issue.
    as a proportion of population the ratios are way off.... Funny, there was the attempt with equal opportunity laws to use those same population % to define how many people of a certain race should be in jobs like police, etc....

  4. Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
    But if you're buying a new car and spending $20,000, $30,000 or more you want something that is sleek looking and sexy. Can we really say that about Detroit's lineup?
    I think so. The real problem with the detroit lineup is that due to the UAW each car was costing over $2000 more to build than ones built in the US by japanese or other companies. Add that to the fact that again because of the UAW the american companies couldn't afford to adjust their production because due to the fact that they couldn't reduce staffing without still having to PAY the EXACT same wages as if the people were working. So if demand became lower, it would actually RAISE the price of each car as they couldn't do layoffs (or doing layoffs result in no financial savings).

    But the democrats support unions. what a joke.

  5. [QUOTE=EasyEJL;1819326]
    Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

    as a proportion of population the ratios are way off.... Funny, there was the attempt with equal opportunity laws to use those same population % to define how many people of a certain race should be in jobs like police, etc....

    I was speaking of in my area.....

    EJL ,saw your log. Great results btw.

    Glad I put in my requests for AN samples before you learned I was an Obama supporter lol!

    (As EJL puts in a call to have the order cancelled) lol
    "or send him sort of estrogen"
    •   
       


  6. [QUOTE=edgebsl;1819341]
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post


    I was speaking of in my area.....

    EJL ,saw your log. Great results btw.

    Glad I put in my requests for AN samples before you learned I was an Obama supporter lol!

    (As EJL puts in a call to have the order cancelled) lol
    "or send him sort of estrogen"
    nah, I dont let that spill over into any area outside the politics forum.

    Literally though when I was 22 and indecisive about my career I went to apply to the local corrections office for a jail guard position, as it was easier to get into that than directly into the police or sherrifs. Then a year or two later you could transfer into the others. A friend of mine's father was close friends with the warden of the county jail, and i went and talked to him after taking the initial exam and he told me not to waste my time. To reach quotas they basically would hire any vaguely slightly qualified black or hispanic woman who could manage to pass the physical. That particular round they had 10 openings, 15 minority women were taking the exam and then there were about 130 men mixed races....

    So its nice that racial proportions matter when its a case for minorities to get extra benefits, but not an issue when its about how many are collecting welfare, food stamps or section 8 housing.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I think so. The real problem with the detroit lineup is that due to the UAW each car was costing over $2000 more to build than ones built in the US by japanese or other companies. Add that to the fact that again because of the UAW the american companies couldn't afford to adjust their production because due to the fact that they couldn't reduce staffing without still having to PAY the EXACT same wages as if the people were working. So if demand became lower, it would actually RAISE the price of each car as they couldn't do layoffs (or doing layoffs result in no financial savings).

    But the democrats support unions. what a joke.
    The wages being over the top dont have much to do with the cars bieng ugly piles though. The USA cars I looked at I thought were reasonably priced, just not desireable.

    Much of our woe is from foreign competition.

    Remember hearing and seeing everything from the 50s and a bit later. Wasnt uncommon for a family for only the father to have to work and they owned a home and and two cars. Much of Williamsports older homes have been converted to multiple apartments. Long ago they were single family homes belonged to mill workers.

    Life before foreign competition as pretty good in some ways.
    I dont know if we can ever go back to make things fair because people need things to be cheap.

  8. I am all for giving the new president a chance, but I have to wonder about the issue on hiring someone with tax evasion issues to handle our country's treasury. Back to the topic of the stimulus, I think all those "big boys" in these companies, need to give back their big bonuses, and I bet they would not be so deep in the hole. And on the big rip offs going on (Stanford), I hope they put him in the poor house. They should have done the same to the Enron big shots. They caused a lot of people to suffer financially, they should take their money, and make them work for minimum wage. Sorry got side tracked.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    I am all for giving the new president a chance, but I have to wonder about the issue on hiring someone with tax evasion issues to handle our country's treasury. Back to the topic of the stimulus, I think all those "big boys" in these companies, need to give back their big bonuses, and I bet they would not be so deep in the hole. And on the big rip offs going on (Stanford), I hope they put him in the poor house. They should have done the same to the Enron big shots. They caused a lot of people to suffer financially, they should take their money, and make them work for minimum wage. Sorry got side tracked.
    I like him, gonna give him a chance. If he's done a poor job at the end of his term...I'll vote another way. I'm reserving judgement till then.

    Tax evaders in Washington? Try finding a clean hand amongst that bunch anywhere. I believe they're all corrupt. Lets hope those who have it in them to do the most good prevail.

    And lets hope this Pres, if he does or is making mistakes, learns quickly.
    I belive his heart is in the right place.

    But I think Bush's was too, and he did some damgage. All we can do is pray and wait to vote.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
    The wages being over the top dont have much to do with the cars bieng ugly piles though. The USA cars I looked at I thought were reasonably priced, just not desireable.

    Much of our woe is from foreign competition.

    Remember hearing and seeing everything from the 50s and a bit later. Wasnt uncommon for a family for only the father to have to work and they owned a home and and two cars. Much of Williamsports older homes have been converted to multiple apartments. Long ago they were single family homes belonged to mill workers.

    Life before foreign competition as pretty good in some ways.
    I dont know if we can ever go back to make things fair because people need things to be cheap.
    Actually i find the detroit cars far more attractive than the japanese, and more attractive than most of the eurocars (some are just beautiful tho, like the A5 or lotus exige). The other thing that the japanese always have had luck with marketing wise was the belief that their cars were more reliable. Yet without that $2000 price premium we are stuck with the US auto makers could give bumper to bumper 7 year 100k mile warranties on every car sold...

    You realize that the issue wasn't just foreign competition, but also women's right to work? Wages are largely based on supply and demand. Thats why some areas with a degree (like computer science) pay so much more than areas like anthropology. When women fought for the right to enter the workforce and be treated equally it effectively doubled the pool of workers raising supply, but there was no more demand. so average wages went down...

  11. I gotta eat. Lol!

    Maybe wacth some tv!

    Starting new workout tomorrow.

    Later fellas.

  12. EJL



    Subaru Outback 2002
    200,000 miles
    Runs like a dream w no sign of slowing down.
    Been in the shop twice.

    Handles the snow like no USA car I've driven.
    Jananese company with a lot of US plants.
    Wish I could find someting from detroit I liked as much to succeed it!

  13. Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
    EJL



    Subaru Outback 2002
    200,000 miles
    Runs like a dream w no sign of slowing down.
    Been in the shop twice.

    Handles the snow like no USA car I've driven.
    Jananese company with a lot of US plants.
    Wish I could find someting from detroit I liked as much to succeed it!
    1988 i bought a 1983 chevy caprice wagon with 85,000 miles on it. I drove it to 165,000 without any repairs beyond one brake caliper seizing. I hadn't replaced the radiator hoses and by 1995 (when I hit that 165,000) i had an annoying but slow leak. One friday night around midnight I was crossing a 12 mile bridge that has a tiny shoulder, not as big as the car, and the temp light came about halfway across, and I remembered i hadn't checked the water level in the last week. I felt like I didn't have a choice and drove it to the end of the bridge where there was a shoulder, and it stalled by then and I rolled the last bit.

    The car even ran after that, without any significant repairs, but it needed a new head gasket. I have no fear at all that it would have made it to well over 200k miles had that not happened.

    The american full frame v8 vehicles had no comparison among foreign cars, which is why they were and still are used as police cars and taxis

  14. back to the stimulus...

    Yet, even as he's spending a ton of taxpayer money, Obama also is pressing the need for getting "exploding deficits" under control.
    Its great, he's got great command over the media. All he needs to do is talk about getting deficits under control, and he'll get positive press about it. Doesn't matter than his most optimistic plan is to get what looks to be a 1.7 trillion deficit this year down to under 600billion. The net deficit of the 8 years of george bush was $400 billion.....

  15. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    1988 i bought a 1983 chevy caprice wagon with 85,000 miles on it. I drove it to 165,000 without any repairs beyond one brake caliper seizing. I hadn't replaced the radiator hoses and by 1995 (when I hit that 165,000) i had an annoying but slow leak. One friday night around midnight I was crossing a 12 mile bridge that has a tiny shoulder, not as big as the car, and the temp light came about halfway across, and I remembered i hadn't checked the water level in the last week. I felt like I didn't have a choice and drove it to the end of the bridge where there was a shoulder, and it stalled by then and I rolled the last bit.

    The car even ran after that, without any significant repairs, but it needed a new head gasket. I have no fear at all that it would have made it to well over 200k miles had that not happened.

    The american full frame v8 vehicles had no comparison among foreign cars, which is why they were and still are used as police cars and taxis
    We have an 1989 GMC RV with a 454 in it. 190,000 miles and runs like a tank! Towing power for days and not bad gas mileage either (for an rv) if you keep it 65 or under. Ahh the days of great american motors.

  16. basically we were always the best with full size vehicles with v8s in them. Straight 6s as well. We definitely didn't respond rapidly enough to changes in global demand, and didn't spend the $ into small engine research we could/should have. But just like as documented in some ways in "Who Killed The Electric Car" the consumers are a big part of it, and until we saw rapidly rising gas prices there wasn't a whole lot of interest in a whole lot of small and/or electric cars.

  17. I'll alway <3 muscle cars.


    *Drooling for the new Camaro and hoping it's not cancelled*

  18. Williamsport, PA? I live right around the corner form ya in Frederick

  19. And I'm just a hop skip and a jump away in DC. As long as I don't drive during traffic. Wait does that even happen around here?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Williamsport, PA? I live right around the corner form ya in Frederick
    Really?

    I live in southside, near K and S music.

    I played guitar for the bands Backstreet Law, Til December and Candlelight Red

  21. I don't know Williamsport too well. I've only been there a few times. A couple times to get ink done at Mr. Naturals and once for the grand opening of the Harley Davidson shop there.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. M-Test...the last thing keeping me from the darkside
    By ryane87 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 01-29-2017, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
  4. Replies: 398
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 08:10 AM
  5. Carbs and cutting, the last thread confused me!
    By nevergoodenough in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Log in
Log in