One thing confuses me about the "stimus"

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%

By "We" I was refering to the government, not we as the people. We as the people need to learn how to compound our income, and be able to spend more, as you said. I should have cleared that up I guess.

We, as the people, need to get rid of this entitlement mentality. Like this 'free government money' ad thats staring at me as I type this. This is America, the land of opportunity, not the land of 'we will give you whatever you want'. You get what you work for, you are entitled to nothing. So take care of yourself.

2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by briancogs888 View Post
    By "We" I was refering to the government, not we as the people. We as the people need to learn how to compound our income, and be able to spend more, as you said. I should have cleared that up I guess.

We, as the people, need to get rid of this entitlement mentality. Like this 'free government money' ad thats staring at me as I type this. This is America, the land of opportunity, not the land of 'we will give you whatever you want'. You get what you work for, you are entitled to nothing. So take care of yourself.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%

Hahahaha. Hes got it worse than anyone. Eeyyy, might as well throw in another half billion plus for a new marine 1. haha
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

$50 billion extra in food stamps will create new jobs right?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%

Hey its worth a shot, haha. I can hear him now, "well if they have more food stamps they will have more food. If they have more food they will have more energy and ambition to go out and get a good paying job."
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

hahahahaha I know. Its so totally retarded. the more comfortable you make people without them having to put out any effort, the less likely they are to put out effort. Its the issue with marginal tax rates. Does the person living in section 8 housing, on food stamps with welfare going to live significantly better taking an $8/hr job? no, so there is no incentive for them to take it.
    This space for rent

7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by briancogs888 View Post
    Hahahaha. Hes got it worse than anyone. Eeyyy, might as well throw in another half billion plus for a new marine 1. haha
    New Marine 1? Hell, he's got 5 of them already and those are just the one's that work White side. I work next door to those guys.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%

I think its sad, but many people like to brag about the fact that our welfare system puts people in better living conditions, on average, than what the middle class of Europe lives in. Based on standard of livings and so on.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

Interesting ad.
    I live in WIlliamsport PA lol!

Here, a good paying job is considered in the 20,000 per year range.
    We have 4 close family members laid off, and I have four friends in the region who were laid off in the last 4 months. Its a pretty depressing area.

I was told that mayor used to try to sell the fact that our area is used to working for small wages to try and persuade new companies to come here. The cost of living is reasonable, but most people I know who work an honest living have an incredibly tough time keeping up with expenses. The average pay for a hard days work has stayed the same for so many years and the cost of everything has gone up.

I know people who are working who are getting assistance. Some people really do need it. It does piss me off all the people living in govt housing though with 3 kids and who will not work. How do you seperate getting help to those who really need it and those too lazy to help themselves.

Fortunately, I am self employed , partner an llc a new business with 3 others and look to make about $30,000 this year. Only my wife is stuck underpaid and underappreciated and overworked with horrible benefits. As we speak we are a month behind on everything except our mortgage. had a furnace break and pipes froze and burst setting us back.

So I think "The sky is falling" perception is from the perspective of where you are standing and how you see it affect family and friends. If you're doing alright, then I guess its easy to say "Calm down, everything cycles". I ,personally know a lot of people who feel like they are in deep **** and they dont even have to watch the news.

The grant that ad is talking about has been around...forever. Its about the grants govt will give you for starting a small business in an underserved area to try and get the areas to grow. From what I understand, the criteria is pretty steep and you have to have a badass business plan to even be considered and only a select few are given out.
    That Ad capatilizes in public interest over the headlines. And in doing so, probably gets people worked up too, about things that are rare and nothing to get worked up about.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

[QUOTE=edgebsl;1814221]"$20 billion for food stamps"

Haha

My buddy said that "while most presidents get their face on money, Obama will get his on food stamps".

Now, he's not a rascist guy, nor am I. But I got admit....that's funny![/QUOTE]

Not to start a racial dispute, but would he have said something to that effect if the president was white. I think you yourself felt it seemed racist, hence your statement of defence. I am one for good comedy, and don't usually read into things, but that comment did spark my interest. Now as I digress, I think the thought that the stimulus would create jobs (especially in the auto industry) is misguided. With the economy as it is now, and so many auto workers laid off, the inventory will still be full when this gets resolved. Do you think they will make more cars with so much still sitting on the lot?
    As a military minded person, and a long military career, I say we needed to make a stand for what happened on 911. War will always spark a lot of negative response, whether economically or morally other for whatever people feel is the wrong reason for it. Now I do believe it is time to come home. I have seen enough of my buddies killed (remember somalia). Casuality of war is iminent, but once again, I feel it is time to come home.
    Last edited by ABNRanger; 02-21-2009 at 08:39 PM.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

[QUOTE=ABNRanger;1819193]
    Quote Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
    "$20 billion for food stamps"

Haha

My buddy said that "while most presidents get their face on money, Obama will get his on food stamps".

Now, he's not a rascist guy, nor am I. But I got admit....that's funny![/QUOTE]

Not to start a racial dispute, but would he have said something to that effect if the president was white. I think you yourself felt it seemed racist, hence your statement of defence. I am one for good comedy, and don't usually read into things, but that comment did spark my interest. Now as I digress, I think the thought that the stimulus would create jobs (especially in the auto industry) is misguided. With the economy as it is now, and so many auto workers laid off, the inventory will still be full when this gets resolved. Do you think they will make more cars with so much still sitting on the lot?
    As a milirary minded person, I say we needed to make a stand for what happened on 911. War will always spark a lot of negative response, whether economically or morally other for whatever people feel is the wrong reason for it. Now I do believe it is time to come home. I have seen enough of my buddies killed (remember somalia). Casuality of war is iminent, but once again, I feel it is time to come home.
    Probably not, but I think the part I find funny is that everyone thinks Barack is gong to be this welfare handing out, president. Some would argue that he already is, I just think its blown out of proportion. Besides I've seen more whites cashing in on food stamps so its not really a race issue. I guess Im also used to being freinds with a diverse crowd and we can bust each others balls without getting offended. And trust me, as far as the lighthearted stuf goes....we get busted on about the typical white jokes...we cant dance, cant play sports and have "no game" lol!
    When it comes down to serious business, we gotta see each others as individuals rather than be judged on our color or sex or religion.

I agree w you about a response for 911 was appropriate. But I think keeping the focus on Afghanistan and the capture of bin laden and a more thorough dissolving of al qaeda leadership before moving on Iraq may have prevented the growing of Al Qaeda in Iraq to an extent and its threat to our troops. I would have also preferred more stealth in the quest for Bin Laden and less shock and awe and headlines. I also think waiting on Iraq and finishing the job on Bin laden first would have given less hate fuel for new recruits for AL Qaeda causes.

I think even the Arab world thought Al Qaeda were nut jobs for the most part, until more and more big military operations were seen over there....then their radical claims of a US led war on Arabia seemed more plausible.

I am hopeful for a democratic Iraq regardless of the stumbles getting there though.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

You also bring up a great point about cars sittin on the lot there....

I think the biggest problem with Detroit is form the drawing board up in MHO.

If you're buyin a used car. You wont be quite so picky if your budget is say $6000.

But if you're buying a new car and spending $20,000, $30,000 or more you want something that is sleek looking and sexy. Can we really say that about Detroit's lineup?

About the only place I see us having a lead is in the Jumbo Pickups. Which, because of fuel economy...the rest of the world isnt too interested in.
  13. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

[QUOTE=edgebsl;1819311]
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    Besides I've seen more whites cashing in on food stamps so its not really a race issue.
    as a proportion of population the ratios are way off.... Funny, there was the attempt with equal opportunity laws to use those same population % to define how many people of a certain race should be in jobs like police, etc....
    This space for rent

14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

But if you're buying a new car and spending $20,000, $30,000 or more you want something that is sleek looking and sexy. Can we really say that about Detroit's lineup?
    I think so. The real problem with the detroit lineup is that due to the UAW each car was costing over $2000 more to build than ones built in the US by japanese or other companies. Add that to the fact that again because of the UAW the american companies couldn't afford to adjust their production because due to the fact that they couldn't reduce staffing without still having to PAY the EXACT same wages as if the people were working. So if demand became lower, it would actually RAISE the price of each car as they couldn't do layoffs (or doing layoffs result in no financial savings).

But the democrats support unions. what a joke.
    This space for rent

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

[QUOTE=EasyEJL;1819326]

as a proportion of population the ratios are way off.... Funny, there was the attempt with equal opportunity laws to use those same population % to define how many people of a certain race should be in jobs like police, etc....

I was speaking of in my area.....

EJL ,saw your log. Great results btw.

Glad I put in my requests for AN samples before you learned I was an Obama supporter lol!

(As EJL puts in a call to have the order cancelled) lol
    "or send him sort of estrogen"
  16. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

[QUOTE=edgebsl;1819341]
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

I was speaking of in my area.....

EJL ,saw your log. Great results btw.

Glad I put in my requests for AN samples before you learned I was an Obama supporter lol!

(As EJL puts in a call to have the order cancelled) lol
    "or send him sort of estrogen"
    nah, I dont let that spill over into any area outside the politics forum.

Literally though when I was 22 and indecisive about my career I went to apply to the local corrections office for a jail guard position, as it was easier to get into that than directly into the police or sherrifs. Then a year or two later you could transfer into the others. A friend of mine's father was close friends with the warden of the county jail, and i went and talked to him after taking the initial exam and he told me not to waste my time. To reach quotas they basically would hire any vaguely slightly qualified black or hispanic woman who could manage to pass the physical. That particular round they had 10 openings, 15 minority women were taking the exam and then there were about 130 men mixed races....

So its nice that racial proportions matter when its a case for minorities to get extra benefits, but not an issue when its about how many are collecting welfare, food stamps or section 8 housing.
    This space for rent

17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

I think so. The real problem with the detroit lineup is that due to the UAW each car was costing over $2000 more to build than ones built in the US by japanese or other companies. Add that to the fact that again because of the UAW the american companies couldn't afford to adjust their production because due to the fact that they couldn't reduce staffing without still having to PAY the EXACT same wages as if the people were working. So if demand became lower, it would actually RAISE the price of each car as they couldn't do layoffs (or doing layoffs result in no financial savings).

But the democrats support unions. what a joke.
    The wages being over the top dont have much to do with the cars bieng ugly piles though. The USA cars I looked at I thought were reasonably priced, just not desireable.

Much of our woe is from foreign competition.

Remember hearing and seeing everything from the 50s and a bit later. Wasnt uncommon for a family for only the father to have to work and they owned a home and and two cars. Much of Williamsports older homes have been converted to multiple apartments. Long ago they were single family homes belonged to mill workers.

Life before foreign competition as pretty good in some ways.
    I dont know if we can ever go back to make things fair because people need things to be cheap.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am all for giving the new president a chance, but I have to wonder about the issue on hiring someone with tax evasion issues to handle our country's treasury. Back to the topic of the stimulus, I think all those "big boys" in these companies, need to give back their big bonuses, and I bet they would not be so deep in the hole. And on the big rip offs going on (Stanford), I hope they put him in the poor house. They should have done the same to the Enron big shots. They caused a lot of people to suffer financially, they should take their money, and make them work for minimum wage. Sorry got side tracked.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    I am all for giving the new president a chance, but I have to wonder about the issue on hiring someone with tax evasion issues to handle our country's treasury. Back to the topic of the stimulus, I think all those "big boys" in these companies, need to give back their big bonuses, and I bet they would not be so deep in the hole. And on the big rip offs going on (Stanford), I hope they put him in the poor house. They should have done the same to the Enron big shots. They caused a lot of people to suffer financially, they should take their money, and make them work for minimum wage. Sorry got side tracked.
    I like him, gonna give him a chance. If he's done a poor job at the end of his term...I'll vote another way. I'm reserving judgement till then.

Tax evaders in Washington? Try finding a clean hand amongst that bunch anywhere. I believe they're all corrupt. Lets hope those who have it in them to do the most good prevail.

And lets hope this Pres, if he does or is making mistakes, learns quickly.
    I belive his heart is in the right place.

But I think Bush's was too, and he did some damgage. All we can do is pray and wait to vote.
  20. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

The wages being over the top dont have much to do with the cars bieng ugly piles though. The USA cars I looked at I thought were reasonably priced, just not desireable.

Much of our woe is from foreign competition.

Remember hearing and seeing everything from the 50s and a bit later. Wasnt uncommon for a family for only the father to have to work and they owned a home and and two cars. Much of Williamsports older homes have been converted to multiple apartments. Long ago they were single family homes belonged to mill workers.

Life before foreign competition as pretty good in some ways.
    I dont know if we can ever go back to make things fair because people need things to be cheap.
    Actually i find the detroit cars far more attractive than the japanese, and more attractive than most of the eurocars (some are just beautiful tho, like the A5 or lotus exige). The other thing that the japanese always have had luck with marketing wise was the belief that their cars were more reliable. Yet without that $2000 price premium we are stuck with the US auto makers could give bumper to bumper 7 year 100k mile warranties on every car sold...

You realize that the issue wasn't just foreign competition, but also women's right to work? Wages are largely based on supply and demand. Thats why some areas with a degree (like computer science) pay so much more than areas like anthropology. When women fought for the right to enter the workforce and be treated equally it effectively doubled the pool of workers raising supply, but there was no more demand. so average wages went down...
    This space for rent

21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

I gotta eat. Lol!

Maybe wacth some tv!

Starting new workout tomorrow.

Later fellas.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

EJL

Subaru Outback 2002
    200,000 miles
    Runs like a dream w no sign of slowing down.
    Been in the shop twice.

Handles the snow like no USA car I've driven.
    Jananese company with a lot of US plants.
    Wish I could find someting from detroit I liked as much to succeed it!
  23. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

EJL

Subaru Outback 2002
    200,000 miles
    Runs like a dream w no sign of slowing down.
    Been in the shop twice.

Handles the snow like no USA car I've driven.
    Jananese company with a lot of US plants.
    Wish I could find someting from detroit I liked as much to succeed it!
    1988 i bought a 1983 chevy caprice wagon with 85,000 miles on it. I drove it to 165,000 without any repairs beyond one brake caliper seizing. I hadn't replaced the radiator hoses and by 1995 (when I hit that 165,000) i had an annoying but slow leak. One friday night around midnight I was crossing a 12 mile bridge that has a tiny shoulder, not as big as the car, and the temp light came about halfway across, and I remembered i hadn't checked the water level in the last week. I felt like I didn't have a choice and drove it to the end of the bridge where there was a shoulder, and it stalled by then and I rolled the last bit.

The car even ran after that, without any significant repairs, but it needed a new head gasket. I have no fear at all that it would have made it to well over 200k miles had that not happened.

The american full frame v8 vehicles had no comparison among foreign cars, which is why they were and still are used as police cars and taxis
    This space for rent

24. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

back to the stimulus...

Yet, even as he's spending a ton of taxpayer money, Obama also is pressing the need for getting "exploding deficits" under control.
    Its great, he's got great command over the media. All he needs to do is talk about getting deficits under control, and he'll get positive press about it. Doesn't matter than his most optimistic plan is to get what looks to be a 1.7 trillion deficit this year down to under 600billion. The net deficit of the 8 years of george bush was $400 billion.....
    This space for rent

25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

1988 i bought a 1983 chevy caprice wagon with 85,000 miles on it. I drove it to 165,000 without any repairs beyond one brake caliper seizing. I hadn't replaced the radiator hoses and by 1995 (when I hit that 165,000) i had an annoying but slow leak. One friday night around midnight I was crossing a 12 mile bridge that has a tiny shoulder, not as big as the car, and the temp light came about halfway across, and I remembered i hadn't checked the water level in the last week. I felt like I didn't have a choice and drove it to the end of the bridge where there was a shoulder, and it stalled by then and I rolled the last bit.

The car even ran after that, without any significant repairs, but it needed a new head gasket. I have no fear at all that it would have made it to well over 200k miles had that not happened.

The american full frame v8 vehicles had no comparison among foreign cars, which is why they were and still are used as police cars and taxis
    We have an 1989 GMC RV with a 454 in it. 190,000 miles and runs like a tank! Towing power for days and not bad gas mileage either (for an rv) if you keep it 65 or under. Ahh the days of great american motors.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

basically we were always the best with full size vehicles with v8s in them. Straight 6s as well. We definitely didn't respond rapidly enough to changes in global demand, and didn't spend the $ into small engine research we could/should have. But just like as documented in some ways in "Who Killed The Electric Car" the consumers are a big part of it, and until we saw rapidly rising gas prices there wasn't a whole lot of interest in a whole lot of small and/or electric cars.
    This space for rent

27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

I'll alway <3 muscle cars.

*Drooling for the new Camaro and hoping it's not cancelled*
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Williamsport, PA? I live right around the corner form ya in Frederick
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

And I'm just a hop skip and a jump away in DC. As long as I don't drive during traffic. Wait does that even happen around here?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Williamsport, PA? I live right around the corner form ya in Frederick
    Really?

I live in southside, near K and S music.

I played guitar for the bands Backstreet Law, Til December and Candlelight Red
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I don't know Williamsport too well. I've only been there a few times. A couple times to get ink done at Mr. Naturals and once for the grand opening of the Harley Davidson shop there.

Similar Forum Threads

1. "The first thing I'd do as president is..."
    By David Dunn in forum Politics
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
  3. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
  5. is there such thing as a "clean" bulk?
    By blackjack in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 08:43 PM