White Guilt Is Dead

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    First thing. If you look at a network like BET, it perpetrates that image of inner-city thug life. And secondly, the attempted genocide of a whole religion collectively and the placement of those people in death camps is much more horrible than a situation where tribesman/woman who had small societies that weren't on par with what was then modern standards of socio-scientific development, were captured by people of enemy tribes or foreigners and sold off which would ultimately give their descendants a chance to not get eaten by jaguars, lions, or have to live in a third world country.
    If you read my post above, you'll see that I think it's 100% fine for people to be racist, even against my race, I have no problem with it, to each his own.

    The above, is to break in, assault and kidnap people and families from their homes, from their loved ones, from what they know, taken to be slaves and that's better?

    Only good thing about that is if they escape, rape everyone who contributed to their capture and enslavement and then kill them...I know I would....What if I kidnap you because I think your life is bad and take you somewhere I think is better? would you like that?

    Let's not forget, most people are not enslaved because their masters thought "Oh, look at those poor people, I want to help them......let's kidnap them! "..........yeah....I'm sure that's what they were thinking, not free labor......

    Plus, on a scientific side, studies show that primitive hunter gatherer societies are happier, have more leisure time, face less stress, live healthier lives and without environmental stress, they can easily live longer than domesticated corn fed humans.

    And sh*t, you're talking about death by a f**king lion, like it's bad?

    How bad is having rape, murder, robberies, gonoreha, syphilis, AIDS, DUIs, Car accidents, fires, slave economy, marriage problems, health problems caused by advancements, flesh eating bugs, addiction, pollution, prisons, wars, etc... etc...etc....etc.....

    What makes you think that they would be happier just because you think you like the place you're at now? maybe they hated the white man's world, ever think of that?

    Probably the worst post I have seen on AM so far.........

  2. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    First thing. If you look at a network like BET, it perpetrates that image of inner-city thug life. And secondly, the attempted genocide of a whole religion collectively and the placement of those people in death camps is much more horrible than a situation where tribesman/woman who had small societies that weren't on par with what was then modern standards of socio-scientific development, were captured by people of enemy tribes or foreigners and sold off which would ultimately give their descendants a chance to not get eaten by jaguars, lions, or have to live in a third world country.
    I agree that the merciless Nazi treatment of Jews before and during World War II dwarfs the American and European treatment of African slaves. There is no human act comparable in size and scope to the Nazi treatment of the Jews, outside of perhaps ethnic cleansing in Rwanda.

    However, as others have said, superior technological and sociological advances are no justification for slavery. I feel that any rational moral justification for slavery is intellectually dishonest.

    That being said, many of the cultures in Africa where slaves came from engaged in slavery often with barbaric treatment toward their slaves. The slaves did not come from peaceful societies and essentially the same fate could of befell many of them even if they were not abducted by Europeans. Again this is not a justification for the treatment the slaves received, just the reality of the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries.
  3. Senior Member
    rubberring's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,933
    Rep Power
    5424
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    46.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    First thing. If you look at a network like BET, it perpetrates that image of inner-city thug life. And secondly, the attempted genocide of a whole religion collectively and the placement of those people in death camps is much more horrible than a situation where tribesman/woman who had small societies that weren't on par with what was then modern standards of socio-scientific development, were captured by people of enemy tribes or foreigners and sold off which would ultimately give their descendants a chance to not get eaten by jaguars, lions, or have to live in a third world country.
    Now, that's phrase-abuse.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I agree that the merciless Nazi treatment of Jews before and during World War II dwarfs the American and European treatment of African slaves. There is no human act comparable in size and scope to the Nazi treatment of the Jews, outside of perhaps ethnic cleansing in Rwanda.

    However, as others have said, superior technological and sociological advances are no justification for slavery. I feel that any rational moral justification for slavery is intellectually dishonest.

    That being said, many of the cultures in Africa where slaves came from engaged in slavery often with barbaric treatment toward their slaves. The slaves did not come from peaceful societies and essentially the same fate could of befell many of them even if they were not abducted by Europeans. Again this is not a justification for the treatment the slaves received, just the reality of the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries.
    Wait a minute, so your saying your justification for the treatment the slaves received, isn't really a justification, because your justified in saying it based on the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries? So would i be justified in saying that the only reason you made this statement was to justify the treatment of slaves?
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    First thing. If you look at a network like BET, it perpetrates that image of inner-city thug life. And secondly, the attempted genocide of a whole religion collectively and the placement of those people in death camps is much more horrible than a situation where tribesman/woman who had small societies that weren't on par with what was then modern standards of socio-scientific development, were captured by people of enemy tribes or foreigners and sold off which would ultimately give their descendants a chance to not get eaten by jaguars, lions, or have to live in a third world country.
    This is by far and away the fucking stupidest, and most blatantly ignorant, post I have ever read on www.anabolicminds.com.
  6. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    Wait a minute, so your saying your justification for the treatment the slaves received, isn't really a justification, because your justified in saying it based on the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries? So would i be justified in saying that the only reason you made this statement was to justify the treatment of slaves?
    WTF....he CLEARLY said it was not justification....

    Arabs, Egyptians, Frenchies, English, etc.... all had slaves before Americans ever did........some before America was even a thought.

    He's just stating a fact, that they did not come from the garden of eden, some of them were in hell to be taken and again put in more hell.

    Something like that Rob?
  7. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I agree that the merciless Nazi treatment of Jews before and during World War II dwarfs the American and European treatment of African slaves. There is no human act comparable in size and scope to the Nazi treatment of the Jews, outside of perhaps ethnic cleansing in Rwanda.

    .
    Where did the need for comparison come into play at here. That's about as stupid as Jeffrey Dahmer saying "Yeah I killed 15 people, but Ted Bundy killed 35, so go light on my sentence".
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    That being said, many of the cultures in Africa where slaves came from engaged in slavery often with barbaric treatment toward their slaves. The slaves did not come from peaceful societies and essentially the same fate could of befell many of them even if they were not abducted by Europeans. Again this is not a justification for the treatment the slaves received, just the reality of the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries.
    Have you heard of the Tu quoque Fallacy?

    In no way do your premises here correlate to the conclusion of the slavery in question. I.e., it is a fallacy.

    Oh, as well, the attrition rates for North American Indigene are estimated to be somewhere in the area of 80-95% (depending on whom you listen to); this rate of attrition actually does outpace the relative scope of Nazi Germany.
  9. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    WTF....he CLEARLY said it was not justification....

    Arabs, Egyptians, Frenchies, English, etc.... all had slaves before Americans ever did........some before America was even a thought.

    He's just stating a fact, that they did not come from the garden of eden, some of them were in hell to be taken and again put in more hell.

    Something like that Rob?
    Yeah, thats why he said it wasn't justification, because he knew before he said it that it was.
  10. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    Wait a minute, so your saying your justification for the treatment the slaves received, isn't really a justification, because your justified in saying it based on the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries? So would i be justified in saying that the only reason you made this statement was to justify the treatment of slaves?
    Wow, read what I said:

    The slaves did not come from peaceful societies and essentially the same fate could of befell many of them even if they were not abducted by Europeans. Again this is not a justification for the treatment the slaves received, just the reality of the situation in West Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries.
    As I said enslaving another human being can never be justified on a rational moral level.

    The statement I made was to highlight that in many societies in West Africa, slavery was a way of life prior to the Europeans coming. We can inject our modern day sensibilities back 400 years ago all we want, but the fact is that slavery was not seen with the same repugnance then as it is today.
  11. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Wow, read what I said:



    As I said enslaving another human being can never be justified on a rational moral level.

    The statement I made was to highlight that in many societies in West Africa, slavery was a way of life prior to the Europeans coming. We can inject our modern day sensibilities back 400 years ago all we want, but the fact is that slavery was not seen with the same repugnance then as it is today.
    Speaking from the view point of the Master or the Slave?
  12. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    Speaking from the view point of the Master or the Slave?
    The master. I did not live 400 years, nor do I know much about that time frame, but from what I know, you could be a "good moral" person and have slaves back then.

    Just like in some societies till this day you're a good moral person if you bury a woman in the ground till only her head is showing and stone her head till she's dead if she's SUSPECTED of adultery.

    I think you're mistaking facts he's stating for opinion, the above is a fact I'm stating, same people who think women who have tattoos are whores, do I agree with that? NO

    Is it fact? Yes.
  13. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Have you heard of the Tu quoque Fallacy?
    No, based on the context I'm guessing its saying one thing and writing a disclaimer that that is not what you are saying?

    In no way do your premises here correlate to the conclusion of the slavery in question. I.e., it is a fallacy.

    Oh, as well, the attrition rates for North American Indigene are estimated to be somewhere in the area of 80-95% (depending on whom you listen to); this rate of attrition actually does outpace the relative scope of Nazi Germany.
    Insofar as end result that's true. While its true much of that was intentional, the size and scope of the smallpox epidemics were not intentional. I would most definitely not call that a unified effort. You could not say that Cortez and Custer worked together to achieve a common goal.

    Nazi Germany was a deliberate intentional act of ethnic extermination on a large scale, as was Rwanda.
  14. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    Speaking from the view point of the Master or the Slave?
    Either one.
  15. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    Where did the need for comparison come into play at here. That's about as stupid as Jeffrey Dahmer saying "Yeah I killed 15 people, but Ted Bundy killed 35, so go light on my sentence".
    Somebody stated previously that African Americans were treated worse than any race in history. Thomas Rivera disagreed, specifically mentioning the holocaust, and I concurred.
  16. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Either one.
    LOL Yeah right

    I bet slaves back then were "Ahhh it's kool, these are good people, they just have us as slaves..."

    And ONLY now it would be "WTF....f**k those people, I'm going to f**king murder them all when I get the chance to"

    I'm guessing the attitude of the master is the only one that would change, unless you're into some freaky D/S sexual fantasies, it's never seen as ok to be a slave.
  17. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Somebody stated previously that African Americans were treated worse than any race in history. Thomas Rivera disagreed, specifically mentioning the holocaust, and I concurred.
    How about the history of America, since this thread is specifically speaking of events that happened in America?
  18. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    LOL Yeah right

    I bet slaves back then were "Ahhh it's kool, these are good people, they just have us as slaves..."

    And ONLY now it would be "WTF....f**k those people, I'm going to f**king murder them all when I get the chance to"

    I'm guessing the attitude of the master is the only one that would change, unless you're into some freaky D/S sexual fantasies, it's never seen as ok to be a slave.
    Obviously I can't speak for any or all people during that time.

    However, the West Africans responded to slavery much more favorably than how the Native Americans responded to slavery. I wouldn't say they enjoyed it, but I'd speculate the fact that they had seen slavery in their lifetime and it was not an alien concept allowed them to adjust to it. Slavery was not common in most Native American cultures (with some exceptions), so it was a much rougher transition, and contributed to the high death rate among indigenous Carribean slaves.

    I've also heard several other different lines of thinking about why West Africans responded to slavery better than Native Americans, but the fact that slavery existed in Africa previously and not in most North American cultures certainly makes this a plausible explanation.
  19. New Member
    MrTexas1982's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    108
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    9.37%

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Either one.
    Now I finally understand the thought process behind the rest of your political viewpoints.
  20. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    How about the history of America, since this thread is specifically speaking of events that happened in America?
    Do you mean the worst treated minority in the history of America? You really think African-Americans beat out Native Americans?
  21. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    No, based on the context I'm guessing its saying one thing and writing a disclaimer that that is not what you are saying?
    No, that is a Non Sequitor. Essentially, though, you committed that one as well! It means: You Too? And is an invalid argumentative form based on hypocrisy - i.e., What I have done is not wrong because others (you) have committed the same act. However, this does nothing to deny the true premises of the argument and is nothing more than a crafty diversion.

    Insofar as end result that's true. While its true much of that was intentional, the size and scope of the smallpox epidemics were not intentional. I would most definitely not call that a unified effort. You could not say that Cortez and Custer worked together to achieve a common goal.

    Nazi Germany was a deliberate intentional act of ethnic extermination on a large scale, as was Rwanda.
    How certain are you that the Indigene decimation was not deliberate? You seem fairly so - I disagree. The elimination of 90% of any population does not occur inadvertently, and I would assume you agree. Indigene populations of N.A., were as clearly distinguished as barbarians from the 'civilized' occupying nations as any other colonized populations were. Here is a small excerpt that more or less directly contradicts your point:

    With a barbarous nation peace is the exceptional condition. On the border between civilization and barbarism war is generally normal because it must be under the conditions of barbarism. Whether the barbarian be the Red Indian on the frontier of the United States, the Afghan on the border of British India, or the Turkoman who confronts the Siberian Cossack, the result is the same. In the long run civilized man finds he can keep the peace only by subduing his barbarian neighbor; for the barbarian will yield only to force, save in instances so exceptional that they may be disregarded. Back of the force must come fair dealing, if the peace is to be permanent. But without force fair dealing usually amounts to nothing. In our history we have had more trouble from the Indian tribes whom we pampered and petted than from those we wronged...

    That the barbarians receded or are conquered, with the attendant fact that peace follows their retrogression or conquest is due solely to the power of the mighty civilized races which have not lost the fighting instinct, and which by their expansion are gradually bringing peace to the red wastes where the barbarians of this world hold sway.
    That is from Theodore Roosevelt's The Strenuous Life, and the aptly named chapter: Peace and Expansion.

    There are other quotes from many 'settlers' that allude to deliberate infection and so forth but, I have a feeling they would not sway your opinion.
  22. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, that is a Non Sequitor. Essentially, though, you committed that one as well! It means: You Too? And is an invalid argumentative form based on hypocrisy - i.e., What I have done is not wrong because others (you) have committed the same act. However, this does nothing to deny the true premises of the argument and is nothing more than a crafty diversion.



    How certain are you that the Indigene decimation was not deliberate? You seem fairly so - I disagree. The elimination of 90% of any population does not occur inadvertently, and I would assume you agree. Indigene populations of N.A., were as clearly distinguished as barbarians from the 'civilized' occupying nations as any other colonized populations were. Here is a small excerpt that more or less directly contradicts your point:



    That is from Theodore Roosevelt's The Strenuous Life, and the aptly named chapter: Peace and Expansion.

    There are other quotes from many 'settlers' that allude to deliberate infection and so forth but, I have a feeling they would not sway your opinion.
    Keep in mind, TR said this in the early 20th century, when America's course of action towards Natives had been decided for many years. Each president and each country has had a totally different policy for dealing with the "Indian Problem". Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark westward to liason with Natives and had them invite all the chiefs they met to a dinner at the White House. Based upon what I've read I don't think he did that based on any malicious intent, but to foster a relationship of trade and diplomacy.

    I don't think it was a systematic, deliberate hatred that spurred their demise, but the fact that they just wanted the Natives to be NIMBY.

    Don't misunderstand what I am saying, on a grandiose scale, the treatment of the Natives was worse. I just take issue with the idea that they were systematically destroyed rather than haphazardly destroyed.
  23. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, that is a Non Sequitor. Essentially, though, you committed that one as well! It means: You Too? And is an invalid argumentative form based on hypocrisy - i.e., What I have done is not wrong because others (you) have committed the same act. However, this does nothing to deny the true premises of the argument and is nothing more than a crafty diversion.
    I'm all about breaking the rules of proper debate!
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I don't think it was a systematic, deliberate hatred that spurred their demise, but the fact that they just wanted the Natives to be NIMBY
    .

    I think most attitudes during that Western-Settlement period from pioneers, to elected officials alike were deliberately malicious.

    Don't misunderstand what I am saying, on a grandiose scale, the treatment of the Natives was worse. I just take issue with the idea that they were systematically destroyed rather than haphazardly destroyed.
    Inadvertent decimation of anywhere from 80-95% (80 is the most conservative number, in fact) is a very, very difficult thing to achieve. I will agree that, ostensibly, this Ethnocide was not carried out with the centrally planned and organized fashion of the German Holocaust; however, to say it was not deliberate, in my opinion, is incorrect.
  25. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think most attitudes during that Western-Settlement period from pioneers, to elected officials alike were deliberately malicious
    True.

    Inadvertent decimation of anywhere from 80-95% (80 is the most conservative number, in fact) is a very, very difficult thing to achieve. I will agree that, ostensibly, this Ethnocide was not carried out with the centrally planned and organized fashion of the German Holocaust; however, to say it was not deliberate, in my opinion, is incorrect.
    I agree, you can't say it wasn't deliberate. I'll buy that the ethnocide of the Native Americans was decentralized vs the Holocaust being centralized.
  26. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    True.



    I agree, you can't say it wasn't deliberate. I'll buy that the ethnocide of the Native Americans was decentralized vs the Holocaust being centralized.
    Agreed. Now let's touch pee-pees and/or hoo-has (as I am unsure what you are packin').

  27. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Agreed. Now let's touch pee-pees and/or hoo-has (as I am unsure what you are packin').

    Is it bad that I googled and wikied hoo-has just out of habit when you wrote that? I am so used to looking up any word you use that I don't recognize.
  28. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    987
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Do you mean the worst treated minority in the history of America? You really think African-Americans beat out Native Americans?
    Yes. Native Americans, at least, got tax-free status, free education and casinos. Not an even-trade by any standards but at least they got that. We, begrudgingly, got Affirmative Action but I've yet to actually meet anyone that has benefitted from it. All I ever hear is "My friend's dad got screwed out of a job...blah, blah, blah..." Affirmative Action, in my opinion, is on par with Sasquatch sightings.
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Yes. Native Americans, at least, got tax-free status, free education and casinos. Not an even-trade by any standards but at least they got that. We, begrudgingly, got Affirmative Action but I've yet to actually meet anyone that has benefitted from it. All I ever hear is "My friend's dad got screwed out of a job...blah, blah, blah..." Affirmative Action, in my opinion, is on par with Sasquatch sightings.
    They also got: disproportionately high incarceration rates, domestic abuse rates, molestation rates, substance abuse rates, suicide rates, dropout rates, unemployment rates, incredibly high dependency on social assistance/welfare rates, incidences of IDDM and NIDDM (some dependent on alcoholism, others genetic), a whole slew of former legislation banning them from speaking their language, practicing their heritage, and voting (these were rebuked at differing periods), and, to top it off, 2 to 10 times the probability of contracting HIV/AIDS and a host of other STDs.
  30. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    987
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Agreed but other than the genetic anamolies that exist in both races, the plights/blights seems quite similar although proportionally higher. The point I was trying to make was that, at the very least, they were given some things whereas others were not.
  31. Registered User
    RobInKuwait's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1265
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Yes. Native Americans, at least, got tax-free status, free education and casinos. Not an even-trade by any standards but at least they got that. We, begrudgingly, got Affirmative Action but I've yet to actually meet anyone that has benefitted from it. All I ever hear is "My friend's dad got screwed out of a job...blah, blah, blah..." Affirmative Action, in my opinion, is on par with Sasquatch sightings.
    What are you proposing, African-American reservations?

    Justifications for welfare, medicaid, and subprime loans was the disproportionately high number of poor African-Americans. The unintended consequences from subprime loans was the current state of the economy. From welfare came endless cycle of drug abuse, poverty, and breakdown of family structure in the inner city. From medicaid came higher medical costs for everyone who pays for insurance.

    The US has been extremely proactive in attempting to deal with perceived "social injustices" in poor, inner city African-Americans, over the past 50 years. However, every time the government steps in to try to fix the problem, it makes the problem worse. At some point, government has to take a step back and let the problem fix itself, if it expects the situation to ever change.
  32. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    987
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Black reservations? No. Black reparations? YES! Ha! I'm not proposing anything. You asked a question and I gave an answer.
  33. Registered User
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    1311
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTexas1982 View Post
    How about the history of America, since this thread is specifically speaking of events that happened in America?
    IMO, treatment of our own aborigines (the "Indians") was far worse than the fate of imported Africans - slaves, after all, were expensive production machinery & had to be at least minimally well-cared-for (no need to catalog the exceptions in this context).

    By contrast, "the only good Indian is a dead Indian" was not snark - it was policy; a policy carried out spontaneously in "incidents" between the two races for about 100 years.

    Once we'd finished conquering them, our treatment of the wretched survivors was / is comparable to our treatment of blacks from "Restoration" on.
  34. Registered User
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    1311
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    How certain are you that the Indigene decimation was not deliberate? You seem fairly so - I disagree. The elimination of 90% of any population does not occur inadvertently, and I would assume you agree.
    "I do not thin' it means, what you thin' it means."

    "Decimation" is to reduce BY one-tenth.

    "Reduction" is to reduce TO one-tenth. It was common for the Romans to 'reduce' a conquered population - that is, kill 90%, and sell the rest off as slaves, and let them spread the word of what happened to their people. While the surviving "Indigenes" (nice word) were not enslaved per se, it's arguable that the end-result was indistinguishable: every aboriginal individual by every existence stands to remind us all what happened to a whole people when we chose replacement over co-existence.

    Same basic message: don't screw w/ these guys - they sum bad assets!
  35. Registered User
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    1311
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, that is a Non Sequitor. Essentially, though, you committed that one as well! It means: You Too? And is an invalid argumentative form based on hypocrisy - i.e., What I have done is not wrong because others (you) have committed the same act. However, this does nothing to deny the true premises of the argument and is nothing more than a crafty diversion.
    So, if I'm understanding you, this would sum-up nicely in this formulation:

    Everyone is guilty of something, therefore no one can really be held accountable for anything; in particular, I can't be held responsible for _______.

    About like that?
  36. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    "I do not thin' it means, what you thin' it means."

    "Decimation" is to reduce BY one-tenth.

    "Reduction" is to reduce TO one-tenth. It was common for the Romans to 'reduce' a conquered population - that is, kill 90%, and sell the rest off as slaves, and let them spread the word of what happened to their people. While the surviving "Indigenes" (nice word) were not enslaved per se, it's arguable that the end-result was indistinguishable: every aboriginal individual by every existence stands to remind us all what happened to a whole people when we chose replacement over co-existence.

    Same basic message: don't screw w/ these guys - they sum bad assets!
    Actually, BW, if you choose to be this literal, to decimate means to choose every tenth in a lot, not to reduce to a tenth. However, in the colloquial sense I used it, it merely means to substantially reduce the numbers of any one population, not strictly quantitatively defined therein. As you mentioned, the Roman punishment tactic was meant to instill fear by eliminating every tenth soldier, not to reduce their numbers to one tenth.

    So, no, I do not think it means what you think it means.

    dec⋅i⋅mate   [des-uh-meyt] Show IPA Pronunciation

    –verb (used with object), -mat⋅ed, -mat⋅ing.
    1. to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.

    2. to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.




    EDIT: I misread your initial post, but my point still stands.
  37. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    So, if I'm understanding you, this would sum-up nicely in this formulation:

    Everyone is guilty of something, therefore no one can really be held accountable for anything; in particular, I can't be held responsible for _______.

    About like that?
    That would be the fallacy, correct. It is very easily identifiable as an argumentative tactic. However, if one assumes that a successful counterposition is the negation of the original arguer's premises, than this particular form is invalid.
  38. Registered User
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    1311
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    dec⋅i⋅mate   [des-uh-meyt] Show IPA Pronunciation

    –verb (used with object), -mat⋅ed, -mat⋅ing.
    1. to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.

    2. to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.




    EDIT: I misread your initial post, but my point still stands.
    No sweat, bro - and I'm not wanting to invalidate the colloquial use; just felt it was understating the enormity....
  39. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27065
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    No sweat, bro - and I'm not wanting to invalidate the colloquial use; just felt it was understating the enormity....
    Ah, I see. Well, I am not sure one can understate an attrition rate of 80% by the most conservative mean, and 95% for a higher range!

    As well, I feel the North American Indigene are still widely marginalized within popular culture, and their entire sense of entitlement is openly trivialized. You will never see a professional sports team named "The N******", or see plastic figurines of an African-slave in chains being sold on the side of the highway. Both cultures suffered irreparable harm but, at least in my opinion, the harm is still being trivialized in respects to the North American indigenous population.

    For example, the Canadian Historical Society often runs advertisements lauding Canada as a nation of two founding countries: England, and France. Somewhere within that marketing room they must have been experiencing a massive bout of cognitive dissonance in not recognizing there were inhabitants of Canada prior to the French/English!
  40. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    987
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    70.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Ah, I see. Well, I am not sure one can understate an attrition rate of 80% by the most conservative mean, and 95% for a higher range!

    As well, I feel the North American Indigene are still widely marginalized within popular culture, and their entire sense of entitlement is openly trivialized. You will never see a professional sports team named "The N******", or see plastic figurines of an African-slave in chains being sold on the side of the highway. Both cultures suffered irreparable harm but, at least in my opinion, the harm is still being trivialized in respects to the North American indigenous population.

    For example, the Canadian Historical Society often runs advertisements lauding Canada as a nation of two founding countries: England, and France. Somewhere within that marketing room they must have been experiencing a massive bout of cognitive dissonance in not recognizing there were inhabitants of Canada prior to the French/English!
    Couldn't agree more.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Drs sued in CT, and admit guilt; lyme disease
    By spinn in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM
  2. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
  3. Controlled Labs White Flood White Raspberry Tester Thread!
    By Dracoy in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 02:46 AM
  4. Barry White Dead at Age 58
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in