Who's looking forward to a 60 state America!!!
- 11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Some of the conclusions scientists come with, and the experimentation and data used to come up with such conclusions are, in my opinion, outlandishly funny.
If you look at the histories of some fields or look into some of the newly developed fields of study, the research is kinda funny. I've been doing a bunch of research on hydrogen fuel cells for one of my classes, and it's pretty funny stuff once you factor in economics.
1) Hydrogen cannot be produced at any rate of economic feasibility without producing loads of Carbon Dioxide.
2) Hydrogen cannot be mass-produced with a high enough purity that it won't destroy the hydrogen fuel cell.
3) Any sized air leak will turn your car into the Hindenburg.
And don't get me started on ethanol. It's only purpose is making ugly chicks temporarily attractive, and so Pharm companies can make "prescription-strength" fish oil.
- 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM
- 11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
They've been trying to "make it happen" with hydrogen fuel cells for like 100 years now.
1) You need to put it through a transformer because powerplants produce alternating current. You need direct current or else the anodes and cathodes will flip-flop a billion times per second and nothing gets accomplished. When AC gets transfered into DC, the voltage you maintain isn't even in the same order of magnitude.I'd argue that these two aren't true of using electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, but unless we had a lot more nuclear power plants its not cost effective either (and still would burn coal or fossil fuels to create the electricity)
2) Time is money. Reaction rates are determined by concentration of BOTH reactants. In order to reduce water into H2 and O2, you will need an assload of amperage.
Electrolysis is expensive as hell for macro-scale production. Hydrocarbon Reformation is much more efficient and less expensive, but purity and wastes are an issue.
11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By Delta Force in forum Supplement LogsReplies: 40Last Post: 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
- By Delta Force in forum Supplement LogsReplies: 308Last Post: 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
- By l0ck in forum Training ForumReplies: 1Last Post: 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
- By fightbackhxc in forum Supplement LogsReplies: 368Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:00 PM
- By BeBig in forum Supplement LogsReplies: 105Last Post: 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM